The SEC has released its Academic Honor Roll! AND Cuonzo finally sipped that coffee!
According to MUTigers.com, Mizzou Athletics has placed 43 athletes on the Winter Sports Academic Honor Roll. Leading the way with the most recipients— Women’s Swim & Dive with NINETEEN.
Let’s see who was honored!
Women’s Hoops- Haley Troup, Hannah Schuchts, Jordan Roundtree, and Elle Brown
Men’s Hoops- Dru Smith, Evan Yerkes, Parker Braun, and Brooks Ford
Gymnastics- Chelsey Christensen, Lauren Clevenger, Hannah McCrary, Morgan Porter, and Aspen Tucker
Swim & Dive- There were 30. THIRTY. Great job in the classroom, all.
Moving on, I’ve been waiting for this!!! I know a segment of the fan base is less than thrilled with the new commitment, but whatever, y’all. There’s a reason Cuonzo recruited him back in 2018, and I trust him.
Onto the links we go! Happy Friday!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Our Hoops quartet wrapped up the 2019-20 player reviews with the players that bid us adieu— Tray Jackson and Mario McKinney, Jr.
- Brandon Kiley wrote a new draft profile on offensive tackle, Yasir Durant.
- Nate the Great his trusty sidekick, BK, recorded a new episode of the much-beloved Before the Box Score podcast. Check it out!
- Matthew J Harris told us all about our new hoops commit, Ed Chang, who comes to us from Salt Lake CC / San Diego State.
- COMING UP!!! In the draft that never ends (much like the regular NFL draft), we’ve got ROUND ELEVEN of the Mizzou Tiger Legends Draft!
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe and Mitchell, in a new episode of ZOUMCast, talked with former WR, TJ Moe! Check it out! Gabe also conducted an in-depth Q&A with Curtis Luper.
- PowerMizzou/Rivals ($$): Josh Hemholdt discussed Mizzou target, East St. Louis WR target, Keontez Lewis’ Top 10.
- The Athletic ($$): Peter Baugh talked with some current Missouri players about how they are adapting while apart... some have gotten creative without access to Mizzou’s facilities. Check it out... if you’re a subscriber! **Reminder: You can still get a 90-DAY free trial of the site by clicking this here link.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter’s Best of Mizzou series continues, and we have reached THE TOP 4, and it’s none other than one of my personal faves, BRAD SMITH.
Here’s a story stream link of sorts to his other pieces in the series thus far.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch (more): Dave also covered the draft prospects of those athletes with local/regional ties, mainly Iowa DE, AJ Epenesa from Edwardsville High (Ill.), and Mizzou guys Jordan Elliott and Albert O.
- Columbia Missourian: Adam Cole broke down Kelly Bryant and assessed his draft stock after a roller coaster season. Andy Kimball examined the NFL fit of Missouri’s top two draft prospects— Jordan and AO.
- Some draft well-wishes from super Mizzou ambassadors/former 2-stars turned NFL players, Markus Golden and Charles Harris!
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe updated the hoops scholly chart after the commitment of Ed Chang. He also covered his commitment.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter covered the commitment of Ed Chang as well!
- KC Star: Souichi Terada covered — SURPRISE — the commitment of sharpshooting wing, Ed Chang. He also provided the latest on both men’s and women’s recruiting, including roster updates.
- Columbia Missourian: Owen Krucoff wrote about Elle Brown’s departure of the basketball team to follow in her parents’ footsteps on the track.
- Decision time is coming for Fresno State transfer Jarred Hyder, who has Mizzou in his top 5. From Jeff Goodman:
Fresno State transfer Jarred Hyder told me he will make his decision on Saturday between Cal, Missouri, Saint Mary’s, Washington State and BYU.— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) April 23, 2020
Assorted Mizzou Sports News
- Mitchell and Gabe of PowerMizzou were back with new hot taeks on their Blowin’ Smoke, Presented by Weston Tobacco series (free). They predict their confidence level of whole whole slew of topics, so check it out!
- Dave Matter was back with a new chat on STL Today! Read the Q&A!
- Ben Arnet, Chad Moller, and Voice of the Tigers, Mike Kelly, have teamed up to discuss the Border War game at Arrowhead in 2007 on the Inside Mizzou Athletics Podcast.
- Softball is up to No. 2 in their Top Ten, and it’s a Border War win!
#⃣2⃣ in our Top 10 Moments⤵️— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) April 23, 2020
Does this need any more of an explanation? pic.twitter.com/YoRvbUEYF1
- #Tigerstyle coach Brian Smith is wondering who’s in Matter’s TOP 3, since we’ve yet to see some very important wrestlers emerge...
Hey @MizzouWrestling fans. You have to be excited about @Dave_Matter Matter’s Best of Mizzou ranking. He is down to the final 3 and @Benaskren and @MATrix_8692 are still on the “board”. Pretty cool if Tiger Style has 2 of the top 3!— Brian Smith (@mutigerstyle) April 23, 2020
- And what do ya know, in a late Thursday online-only entry to Matter’s Best of Mizzou, there you have it, ladies & gents, #Tigerstyle’s uber-talented Olympian, J’den Cox at No. 3! (Seriously, if you read nothing else from the links today, read this piece. It’s outstanding.)
These are a few of the best sports stories & tidbits I found regarding some goings-on in sports and the world— Enjoy!
- According to the Associated Press’ Ralph D. Russo, the NCAA is moving towards allowing athletes to be paid for their name/likeness. About damn time! It’ll be an interesting story to track, for sure.
- Oh, Pat Mahomes. He appears to be liking how this Chiefs offense is taking shape.
- Tee hee. Clever, SEC. Clever. With good reason they tweeted this, though. Brett McMurphy noted on the Twitterverse that the SEC’s 15 first round picks far outnumbered the next conference (5).
- According to Eli Hoff of the Missourian, Hickman’s Athletic Director, JD Coffman, who has worked in high school athletics for 30 years, is retiring. Next man up? Former Battle soccer coach Jack Rubenstein (his wife is a friend of the site & me— Hi, Sara! Yay, Jack!)
- Parks and Rec is back, y’all... if only temporarily. Leslie Knope and crew will be back in a special to address our social-distancing age, according to USA Today. TUNE IN on APRIL 30 at 8:30.
- Don’t forget to check out that Beastie Boys documentary on Apple TV+ (copied from Wednesday links)! It premieres tonight!
- Interested in listening to some sweet, sweet New Orleans jazz? You can listen to WWOZ 90.7 FM’s Jazz Festing in Place, 2020 at wwoz.org/listen/player. According to their site, the schedule includes over 100 archived Jazz Fest performances.
- One last note, and I will not even link to it because it is absurd... please do not consider mainlining sanitizer into your veins. Just don’t do it. It should go without saying, but guys, it ain’t gonna help you fight anything. And that is all.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)