It’s transfer season in college basketball!
Of course, Mizzou is in the market for one of the hottest grad transfer names in the portal. ESPN’s Jeff Borzello has updated his college basketball transfer rankings for 2020-2021 and 2021-2022, and Bowling Green grad transfer Justin Turner comes in at No. 2. Also, Michigan transfer David DeJulius, who Missouri has checked in on comes in at No. 15 in the sit-out transfers. Tray Jackson is in there at No. 30 as well. Good luck to Tray wherever he lands.
Meanwhile, here’s some more on Turner:
“Earned first-team All-MAC honors after averaging 18.8 points and 4.6 rebounds. The final three for the Detroit native includes Missouri, Marquette, and Iowa State. The Tigers have received most of the buzz.”
That last sentence sure sounds promising. However, there’s a possibility of him returning to Bowling Green, as Rivals recruiting analyst Corey Evans mentions in his latest Wednesday Leftovers.
“While very rarely does a prospect enter the transfer portal only to return to the school that he intended to leave, Bowling Green remains a legitimate suitor. The staff is operating as if there is a chance that he could decline the chance to transfer elsewhere and the fact that he can’t visit any of the others due to the coronavirus may help. Look for a commitment in the coming days.”
And from WTOL 11 Sports Director Jordan Strack in Toledo, Ohio, here’s a video interview with Justin Turner:
I talked with Justin Turner today. Expect a decision Sunday or Monday. He's down to 4 schools (Marquette, Iowa State, Mizzou) plus BGSU is still a very real possibility. After talking with him, I'm convinced he isn't sure what he is going to do.— Jordan Strack (@JordanStrack) April 9, 2020
Here's the full conversation: pic.twitter.com/yG8uW9ibai
Should be very interesting to follow. Stay tuned for that!
In football recruiting, Missouri has made the final three cut (along with Auburn and Baylor) for Akron offensive lineman grad transfer Brandon Council.
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- The Missouri Tigers Legends Draft: Round V, by Nate Edwards and Brandon Kiley
- Mizzou Hoops Player Review: Torrence Watson, with Josh Matejka, Sam Snelling, Matthew Harris, and Ryan Herrera
- PODCAST: Will there be football, with Nate Edwards and Brandon Kiley. Give it a listen!
- Mitchell Forde has a write up on Michigan transfer David DeJulius in the transfer profile
- ($$) Read up on Gabe DeArmond’s latest edition of his mailbag
- Corby Jones and Devin West both come in at No. 15 in Dave Matter’s Best of Mizzou series
- For the St. Louis people, Make your picks and win prizes in our STL Sports Showdown
- How would a lost SEC football season impact Mizzou Athletics and it’s bottom line?, writes Souichi Terada
- Video proof of DeMarkus Acy officially running a 40-yard dash at 4.45!
Here is my 40 ya dash official 4.45 pic.twitter.com/zYabuy3pog— D.Acy™ (@DeMarkusAcy2) April 8, 2020
- Chase Daniel will be doing a Mizzou-themed “Chase Chats” on Periscope next week, if you’re into that kind of thing.
- Here’s SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey on the timeline for college sports to return
SEC Commissioner @GregSankey asked when he thinks college sports will return. "The direct simple answer is the Dr. Fauci comment, "We will not determine the timeline, the virus will determine the timeline."— Paul Finebaum (@finebaum) April 8, 2020
- There’s a bright future ahead for this Mizzou Women’s Basketball team. Their 235 made three-pointers this season were the sixth most in program history!
- Congrats to redshirt junior Cayla Kessinger on being named to Softball America’s 2nd team-All American list! Read more on MUTigers.com here.
- 18 Mizzou Swimmers and Divers have been named to CSCAA All-Americans! Because there was no NCAA Championships, they decided the honorees based on who qualified. More info on MUTigers.com.
- Here’s some sweet Rickey Paulding highlights in EuroLeague Basketball!
- Mizzou Wrestling head coach Brian Smith has landed a commitment, Steven Kolcheff from Detroit, Michigan. #TigerStyle
I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. After lots of thought and reflection, I am proud to announce my commitment to wrestle at the University of Missouri #tigerstyle pic.twitter.com/nmrX2IT2vd— Steven Kolcheff (@SKolcheff) April 9, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)