Come on down, Travion Ford!
You’re the newest member of the... (cues up Price is Right theme music) insanely complicated hashtag, #Lou21ZouCrew, as well as #NewZou and #LouToTheZou. But seriously, this is awesome.
Rock M twitter was super pumped, as you can imagine. Witness.
Ford’s commitment brings Mizzou up to 27 in the Rivals rankings right now, and that sounds GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT.
In the past week, Mizzou has added:— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) April 30, 2020
-Taj Butts, 3-star RB
-Ryan Hoerstkamp, 3-star TE
-Travion Ford, 4-star DE
All three are in-state recruits, making five in-state prospects in the class, as well as one from East St. Louis. The Tigers class is up to 27th nationally, per 247.
Who’s next? Tyler Macon (already committed) and East St. Louis head coach Darren Sunkett hope it’s these two fellas.
The Mizzou Media was all over the commitment. Check out the coverage from everyone here: Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Josh Helmholdt (Rivals/PowerMizzou). Adam Cole (Columbia Missourian). Souichi Terada (KC Star). Eric Blum (Columbia Tribune). Michael Wayne Bratton (Saturday Down South).
Onto the links we go! Happy Friday!
But first, I just couldn’t resist.
Sam, if you happen to — for some strange reason— decide to read the links today, please don’t fire me. I know this is corny as HELL and one of the most overused gifs/memes ever. And technically, it’s May 1 now as of this posting.. but I write links on Thursdays to post Fridays, and I do what I want, so... :)
Spring Summer 2020. Thanks for this, Internet. pic.twitter.com/I3mdWPTjiN— Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake) May 1, 2020
Yesterday at Rock M
- Your fave football writers got back together for another recruiting roundtable, this one on the running backs and wide receivers.
- Josh covered Coach Drink’s 7th commitment of the 2021 class, and he’s — surprise, surprise— from the Lou (and he’s proud, thanks Nelly)
- Matt and NOTED STANLEY TUCCI hater, Sam Snelling, put out a new episode of their Dive Cuts podcast. It featured mostly talk about how the new recruits will fit in, reflections on the previous season, the new NCAA rule, and— if you stay til the end — a little bit of shouting (Thanks, Levi— you ruined everything). You can read the recap here if the whole podcastin’ thing isn’t for you...
- COMING UP!!! In the draft that never ends, we’ve got ROUND THIRTEEN of the Mizzou Tiger Legends Draft! Please leave a comment so Nate & BK know you’re reading. They’d love to hear from you.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter wrote about how the Coronavirus can’t slow down Drinkwitz’s recruiting. Great stuff.
- KC Star: Souichi wrote about how Drink is making good on his pledge to keep talent at home.
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell rewatched the 2005 Independence Bowl and then wrote about it. Gabe and Mitchell, in a new episode of ZOUMCast, talked with Chase Daniel.
- PowerMizzou/Rivals ($$): Sean Williams went in-depth on the Ford commitment. Sorry, subscribers only.
- Some other notes from KC Star writer, Souichi Terada, about Chase Daniel’s thoughts on Coach Drink, among other things (LOVE TO SEE IT):
Daniel on Eli Drinkwitz: "He won me over just on the Chase chat. That dude can talk now. It's great. I'm excited to see him. ... You can just feel his passion for the university, for the kids."— Souichi Terada (@SouichiTerada) April 30, 2020
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum also wrote about Chase Daniel and his “Chase Chats”, who did not think the chats would be as popular as they are. I LOVE CHASE DANIEL, Y’ALL.
- And from The Man himself. Remember, his event is TONIGHT at 7pm. As of about 5pm or so on Thursday, over $90,000 had been raised! WOW.
I’ve partnered w/ @Mizzou & @TheFoodBankMo to bring you “Chase Chats” - The Reunion!! Tune in Friday May 1st at 7pm CT LIVE on my Twitter/FB & join me on the mission to feed people affected by the COVID-19 crisis. Visit https://t.co/m8biz0SnXJ to donate! I’ll match up to $25,000! pic.twitter.com/kjobnEVbmZ— Chase Daniel (@ChaseDaniel) April 24, 2020
- The Athletic ($$): Their college football writers looked at the best (and worst) alternate uniforms in college football. Hey, I see Mizzou in there! Check it out... if you’re a subscriber! **Reminder: You can still get a 90-DAY free trial of the site by clicking this here link.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: BenFred wrote about how the long-overdue NCAA changes on name, image and likeness should help area teams, like Mizzou!
- Looks like Cuonzo rounded up a virtual visitor! 2021 4-star combo guard Kobe Bufkin from the Mitten will “visit” today!
- Cuonzo and the team also held their weekly Zoom meeting on Thursday— these make me so happy.
- Mizzou has reportedly touch base with former Wake Forest commit, 4-star 2021 prospect, Trey James.
- Congrats, Kimmie! Silver Waves Sports Media named Vols assistant coach, Kim English, one of the 50 most impactful High Major D-I hoops coaches. He may be coaching for the Vols, but he’ll always be a Tiger!
- Something cool is coming to Mizzou women’s hoops.
Assorted Mizzou Sports News
- Mitchell and Gabe of PowerMizzou put out a new episode of their PowerMizzou Podcast which covered the draft, recruiting, and various Mizzou items of interest.
- Dave Matter was back with a new chat on STL Today! Read the Q&A!
- Best wishes to Mizzou Softball’s Eli Daniel, who will not pursue an extra year of eligibility. She was Larissa Anderson’s lone senior. The team reached out on social media in a video to thank her... how sweet! Tyler Hollins of the Missourian wrote about her decision. So did Eric Blum of the Columbia Tribune (he was very busy today).
This was a very hard decision and I hope everyone can understand. I’ll be the biggest Mizzou softball fan there is!— Eli Daniel (@ratedEforevery1) April 30, 2020
- Congrats to #TigerStyle wrestlers, Peyton Mocco, Dylan Wisman, Jarrett Jacques, Connor Flynn, and Grant Leeth, who were named Scholar All-Americans by NWCA Wrestling.
These are a few of the best sports stories & tidbits I found regarding some goings-on in sports and the world— Enjoy!
- Mizzou TSF members are invited to a MIZZOOM event with AD Jim Sterk, Coach Drink, and country star David Nail on Saturday evening.
Join us this Saturday evening for a #MIZZOOM event with AD Jim Sterk, @CoachDrinkwitz and country music star @davidnail, hosted by @MizzouTSF for our Tiger fans.— Mizzou Athletics (@MizzouAthletics) April 30, 2020
More details to come Saturday morning. #MIZ | #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/jmnwUgC30g
- Cards pitcher, and all-around great human, Adam Wainwright, told KMOX’s Sam Masterson that St. Louis is the most charitable place he’s ever been.
- Did you know??? That baby carrots are actually NOT baby carrots? The Washington Post investigates.
- Such a conundrum. WHAT DO YOU PICK? Rock M writer Nate Edwards is wholly against #10— hard disagree. Number 15 is the best, y’all, if done right. There was a little place I frequented in Davidson, NC that had the BEST cottage fries EVER. I will die on this hill.
- As mentioned in my Wednesday links, John Krasinki, host of Some Good News on YouTube , is going to attempt to pull off a graduation ceremony for all 2020 graduates, and it’s happening on YouTube on Sunday. So cool!
- As a final note, a big of a shameless plug— As a side gig, I work for a start-up that creates custom greeting cards. Basically, you pick the card design— there are like 5 bazillion to choose from— and then tell us what you want us to write on the inside, and we will create the inside of the card for you and mail it and make it look wonderful and like a work of art (my mom says so, at least). So, one of the card designs in the shop is a Mother’s Day card I actually designed, and y’all, I found out Thursday morning that it SOLD OUT. That is SO FREAKING COOL. Anyway, so I’m happy about that and wanted to share it. (and you can check out Punkpost in the Apple store if you want— the first card is free)
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)