One more year! One more year!
After the college spring sport seasons were unfortunately cut short due to the coronavirus pandemic, the NCAA announced back on March 30th that all spring sport athletes were granted another year of eligibility.
For Missouri, 21 spring senior athletes were eligible to return for another season. Mizzou Athletics officially announced yesterday that 12 of those (as of now) are returning to Columbia for their final year of eligibility.
Here’s a statement from Mizzou AD Jim Sterk:
“We look forward to watching these student-athletes spring seasons cut short by COVID-19 returning to finish out their collegiate careers the right way next spring. The NCAA made the right decision for these young men and women to receive their year back, and I’m grateful that several of them have elected to take advantage of this opportunity. We wish those moving on from Mizzou great success as they enter the next chapter of their lives.”
The baseball team will return Art Joven, Spencer Juergens, Lukas Vienbergs, and Peter Zimmerman. Looking to get over the hump and get to an NCAA Regional for the first time since 2012, returning plenty of pitching depth and the team’s best hitter will be a big deal for Steve Bieser’s squad. In 16 games played this season, Zimmerman was a huge threat at the plate, hitting .333 with four home runs and 17 RBI.
Bieser Ball should be fun to watch next year, y’all.
Rory Franssen (Men’s Golf), Jessica Yuen (Women’s Golf), Gabrielle Goldin and Serena Nash (Women’s Tennis), Thomas George and Caulin Graves (Men’s Track and Field), plus Jordan McClendon and Karissa Roman (Women’s Track and Field) are the other returning athletes.
And on The Herd with Colin Cowherd on FOX Sports 1 yesterday, Cowherd says that he likes Drew Lock as the second-year NFL QB that has the best chance to win MVP.
Here’s the full video from the segment:
Love to see it. Let’s Go, Drew!
And in case if you missed it yesterday, Missouri picked up their ninth commitment of the 2021 class with cornerback Davion Sistrunk.
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Find out who Nate Edwards and Brandon Kiley have selected in The Missouri Tigers Legends Draft: Round XVI
- In the latest “What If” edition, we revisit Bill Connelly’s What If.....Kelly Thames Didn’t Tear Up His Knee?
- Mizzou adds commitment from Florida cornerback, Josh Matejka has the latest on Davion Sistrunk
- ($$) Mizzou making a push for four-star guard Kobe Bufkin, writes Mitchell Forde
- ($$) Here’s the latest edition of the 2020 Macadoodle’s Mailbag, from Gabe DeArmond
- With the latest commitment of CB Davion Sistrunk, Gabe DeArmond has updated the latest 2020 Football Unofficial Scholarship Chart
- From Sean Williams, Missouri lands commitment from Florida CB Davion Sistrunk
- Mizzou picks up pledge from Florida cornerback, writes Dave Matter
- From Dave Matter, A dozen Mizzou spring athletes will return for 2021
- Mizzou football picks up defensive back as ninth member of 2021 recruiting class, writes Souichi Terada
- From Souichi Terada, Twelve Mizzou spring-sports seniors will return for extra year of eligibility in 2021
- Missouri’s Ian Bedell still expected to be selected in the 2020 MLB Draft, writes Melanie Rau
- From Max Baker, Missouri football nabs ninth commit for 2021
- Max Baker writes that 12 seniors will return to MU for extra year of eligibility
- 2021 Trinity Catholic WR Demetrius Cannon has Mizzou among his Top 10 schools
TOP 10— ② (@Ys_Meechie2x) May 14, 2020
Penn State #WeAre
West Virginia #WVU pic.twitter.com/jPUiW6bDQr
- On news.missouri.edu, MU plans gradual return of employees to campus
- Eli Drinkwitz joined 101ESPN’s new show Karraker and Smallmon to discuss the importance of St. Louis recruiting
- From ESPN’s Heather Dinich, NCAA won’t mandate uniform return to college sports, Mark Emmert says
- Congrats to Jordan Geist on joining GoL1ve’s training staff!
- The NCAA’s June 3rd NBA Draft withdrawal date has been pushed back
- The Division 1 recruiting dead period has been extended through June 30th
Division I extends its recruiting dead period. pic.twitter.com/Gt2Aq1Mkb9— Inside the NCAA (@InsidetheNCAA) May 13, 2020
- On 247Sports, Mizzou WR Damon Hazelton is listed as the No. 2 transfer among the wide receiver position
- Rickey Paulding has been voted as the best small forward of last decade in Germany!
- It’s time for some Push-up 21s on the latest edition of Workout Wednesdays with Nicodemus Christopher!
- (Graphic image here), but it’s SO good to see that Mizzou tight end Daniel Parker Jr. has fully recovered from eye infection surgeries back in January. Stay strong, DPJ!
God made me a fighter I thank him for delivering me through this storm Endure hardships and persevere pic.twitter.com/eCWRlpf76b— PrimeTimeDp (@DanielParkerJr) May 13, 2020
- On Sports Illustrated, Joe Buck: Fox Will Pump In Crowd Noise During Games Without Fans In Attendance
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)