Well, I guess it’s that time of year for college basketball
Fortunately, Mizzou basketball only has one of these for this season, as the Tigers should be one of the most experienced teams in the SEC heading into next year. But it’s time to say goodbye to Reed Nikko.
This was a fun read, y’all. ($$) In an exit interview with The Athletic, CJ Moore and the lone senior, BIG ‘SOTA Reed Nikko, touched on a variety of topics, including the expectations for next season’s team, becoming a full-time starter as a senior, his future plans, and much more.
Just going to go through only a couple of notes here, but here’s what Nikko had to say about the momentum Mizzou had down the stretch and how it will carry over to next season:
“Obviously we would have liked to have started SEC play a lot better than we did, but I think we really were poised to make a run in the SEC tournament. I’m sure if you asked any player on any team, they would say the same thing, but I really felt like we were hitting on our stride late. I felt like we were an extremely motivated team, so I think you’ll see that hunger carry over to next season.”
And of course, Nikko has high hopes for Mizzou becoming an NCAA Tournament team next season. The Tigers will look to do so for the second time in four years under Cuonzo Martin:
“They’re right there. Coach Martin talks about it all the time that the SEC is a good example. If you look at the top team and the bottom team, it’s really just little things and details that separate them. Obviously on any night in that league, anyone can beat anyone. And it’s just the little details that separate the top and the bottom, so they’re right there in my opinion. If you asked Coach Martin, he’d probably tell you the same.”
There’s a lot of more information in this exit interview, so check it out and be sure to subscribe, Mizzou fans. Good stuff from CJ Moore and congrats to Reed Nikko on a great college career!
Also, late Wednesday night, World Series Champion and Mizzou Made Max Scherzer released a strong statement on his thoughts from the MLB owners’ proposal to the players association. Here it is:
Yep. This is going to get really interesting (it already has).
That’s all, folks. Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Tim Bussen has the latest edition of the Film Room: Defense 2020 Part Three - Cover One
- Find out who Nate Edwards and Brandon Kiley have selected in The Missouri Tigers Legends Draft: Round XX!
- Mitchell Forde has a story on Mizzou senior consultant Rick Jones as he brings experience and rivalry into his role
- ($$) Read up on the latest edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodle’s Mailbag
- Rivals recruiting analyst Josh Helmholdt has the latest Recruiting Snapshot on Missouri
- The STLToday sports team of Dave Matter, Ben Frederickson, Derrick Goold, Benjamin Hochman, and Jim Thomas did a live virtual STL Sports on Tap (Editor’s note: I attended, and it was highly enjoyable. My goal is to get to a real one when the state is safely functioning)
- ($$) From Dana O’Neil (with a headline picture of Kassius Robertson!) Transfers are eager to play, but is that necessarily a good thing?
- ICYMI, SEC Sports has re-shared Gabe DeArmond’s piece of Mizzou graduate assistant Nafis Ricks
- College Football season is coming (we think)....so a reminder to renew or request season tickets and join the Tiger Scholarship Fund!
- No place like it......M-I-Z!
- With the MLB Draft approaching on June 10th, David Seifert of D1Baseball has a Then and Now piece on Mizzou pitcher Ian Bedell
- Tyler Hibbler, a three-star safety from St. Louis (Trinity Catholic high school) will be announcing his college decision on June 23rd
I will be committing on June 23rd. Stay tuned.— Tyler Hibbler (@t_hibb2x) May 27, 2020
- Cuonzo Martin and the staff have reached out to 2021 four-star small forward Legend Geeter (that’s a heck of a name!) from River Rouge, Michigan
2021 4⭐️ Legend Geeter conducted a Zoom Call with Missouri yesterday.— Endless Motor Sports (@endless_motor) May 27, 2020
Fast rising 6’7 combo-Forward is a versatile & skilled prospect that impacts the game in a variety of ways.
Definitely underappreciated. pic.twitter.com/1xoAO391tk
- Mizzou freshman defensive back Tyler Jones will be on campus June 4th!
- And Ennis Rakestraw will be arriving to Columbia on June 5th on his birthday!
Mizzou I arrive on my birthday June 5 ‼️ pic.twitter.com/l8X65RMnPB— Ennis Rakestraw Jr (@EnnisRakestraw) May 27, 2020
- Mizzou has made the Top 8 cut for Jackson Hamilton, a three-star OLB from Roswell, Georgia
- From CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd, Why we may be reaching a tipping point for the Power Five to break away from the FBS
- Congrats to redshirt sophomore (catcher and third-baseman) Katherine Kadlec on being named to the SEC Community Service Team. Read more here on MUTigers.com
- Mizzou Soccer has announced the latest addition to their roster, Bella Alessio, a goalkeeper transfer from South Dakota. Welcome to Mizzou, Bella! (Alessio has three more years of eligibility remaining)
- The NCAA has announced that the Division 1 recruiting dead period has been extended through July 31st
- Mizzou Volleyball has a 29-13 record in five-set matches since 2014. That’s pretty good!
- Get to know new Mizzou Women’s Basketball player Lauren Hansen (a transfer from Auburn) on the latest #Mizzoom interview with Aijha Blackwell!
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)