100 Days! And plenty of HFC (hot football content) to hold you over until then
It’s only 100 days ‘til Mizzou Football’s season opener! Who’s excited?!?
To hold yourself over while waiting for that glorious day, please visit one of MANY great posts on Rock M Nation’s site.
Need to get up to speed on the teams the Tigers will be facing? See Nate “the Great” Edward’s game previews: Central Arkansas & Vanderbilt. These will continually post every Tuesday until (checks calendar)... August 4.
Is analyzing film more your thing? If you would like to familiarize yourself with what you might see Coach Walters’ defense do out there, tune in to Coach Tim Bussen’s Film Rooms! Part 1 (Fronts) — Part 2 (Stunts) — Part 3 (Cover 1)— Part 4 (Cover 0). This a 7-part series that will run every Weds/Thurs until June 10. Then, in July, he’ll be back with MORE FILM!
We’ve got SO MUCH coverage for you over here at Rock M.
On to the Links. Happy Friday!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Coach Bussen continued his defensive film room series with Part 4.
- Rock M’s basketball overlords were back with a new Dive Cuts pod, and they brought a NEW FRIEND— Mr. Ken Pomeroy, creator of the greatest basketball statistics site out there, KenPom.com. (yes, dad, he’s a real human). Recap for you non-listeners here
- COMING UP: A few members of the masthead (me included!) wrote about the times Mizzou made us cry; it’ll be up by lunchtime. Bring your tissues.
- STL Today: On the heals of his virtual Zoom event last night, Dave Matter was back with a new chat! Read the Q&A! (mostly football)
- KC Star: Vahe Gregorian wrote about how longtime Mizzou coach, Andy Hill, has a new start with his former NFL team that once cut him, the Kansas City Chiefs.
- PowerMizzou ($$): Matt Hamilton analyzed RB commit Taj Butts’ film.
- The Athletic: Peter Baugh took a painful look into the ones that got away (from Mizzou Football) and decided to play elsewhere. Sigh.
- Women’s Hoops will host TCU in the SEC/BIG 12 Challenge! (more on MUTigers.com)
- New offers! Hey, 6’10 center Cesare Edwards (2021) from Hartsville, SC!
- Allow us some time to reminisce about Phil Pressey and Keion Bell (smiles fondly)
- And this highlight of the Mayor of Columbia, Miss Sophie Cunningham:
- Word of a new regional non-con opponent came out, courtesy of (are we sure he’s not a robot) Jon Rothstein:
Source: Missouri will host Bradley as part of its 20-21 non-conference schedule. Game will be November 29th.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) May 28, 2020
- Our own Matthew J Harris had this to say about how the schedule is shaping up:
Kansas: Neutral— Matt Harris (@MattJHarris85) May 28, 2020
Wichita State: Road
Missouri State: Road
Myrtle Beach Invite: Neutral x 3.#Mizzou plays SEVEN non-games outside its home building. And two of its home games are against Utah and Bradley. You'd also hope they're in CoMO for the Big 12-SEC event. https://t.co/KiPZ23VxEj
- KC Star: Souichi Terada wrote that all eyes may be on football’s return, but the other Mizzou falls sports have to navigate their own paths. Good stuff.
- PowerMizzou (free): Gabe and Mitchell were back with some hot taeks in their Blowing Smoke, Presented by Weston Tobacco series. They’ve included several Mizzou Football predictions, as well as thoughts on the PGA and Major League Baseball. Check it out.
- Mizzou Athletics continues their MizzouPix Photo of the Year contest, and next is up a hoops dual— # 14 JaMari Ward vs. # 5 Dru Smith. Who ya got? (X won Wednesday’s contest, btw, by all of TWO votes over AB)
These are a few of the best sports stories & tidbits I found regarding some goings-on in sports and the world— Enjoy!
- Howard Frendrich of the Associated Press (via the Missourian) wrote that athletes are weary about the virus and testing upon return.
- Missed the first virtual St. Louis Sports on Tap event on Wednesday night? (I didn’t) Check it out here for your Mizzou, SLU, Blues, & Cards content from your favorite STL P-D columnists!
- The new E60 film on Roy Halladay debuts tonight at 8pm CST on ESPN. It’s premiering on the 10th anniversary of Halladay’s perfect game against the Marlins. Jeremy Schaap spoke with former Cardinal (and one of my all-time faves) Chris Carpenter about his friendship with Halladay for Outside the Lines. Carp also was interviewed in an article for CBS Sports by RJ Anderson prior to the premiere.
On @otlonespn, I spoke to 2005 NL Cy Young Award winner Chris Carpenter about his friend, the late Roy Halladay, the subject of the new @e60 film Imperfect. It airs tomorrow night at 7 ET, on ESPN, on the 10th anniversary of Halladay's perfect game against the Marlins. pic.twitter.com/5yLPZstKwS— Jeremy Schaap (@JeremySchaap) May 28, 2020
- On the new Scoops with Danny Mac, he chatted with hometown World Series legend, David Freese about what St. Louis means to him and much, much more. Love Freeser.
Today's Scoops with @DannyMacTV podcast:— 101 ESPN Radio St. Louis (@101espn) May 28, 2020
- @DavidFreese talks about what St. Louis means to him & the potential of entering the @Cardinals Hall of Fame. #STLCards
PODCAST: https://t.co/tHwsUdmHj5 pic.twitter.com/5sXbAJzyAn
- Speaking of baseball, man, they are really screwing over a lot of minor leaguers, aren’t they? According to reports by Jeff Passan, hundreds of minor leaguers were cut on Thursday and lost their jobs, and MANY more are coming. Here was former Mizzou Tiger Trey Harris’ comments:
Prayers up that everyone of these dudes end up at the top. This game we chose can be unforgiving sometimes. It's deeper than a job to a lot of guys. It's all they knew for their entire lives! https://t.co/CikFtEhWDP— Trey Harris (@JustCallMe_Duce) May 28, 2020
- Benjamin Hochman of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch examined some of the “zany” things that could happen in the NHL’s proposed postseason.
- And I’ll leave with this video of a VERY ferocious dog, courtesy of the greatest Twitter follow ever, Rex Chapman.
- And what the hell? Here’s one more, featuring some teddy bears on a roller coaster. Are we sure they aren’t... alive?
22 oversized teddy bears in a rollercoaster. It really looks like they are coming to life..— Buitengebieden (@buitengebieden_) May 28, 2020
Walibi Amusement Park, The Netherlands pic.twitter.com/9stcRE68ib
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)