Congrats, Ian Bedell!
Mizzou pitcher Ian Bedell was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals with the 122nd pick of the Major League Baseball draft. Bedell, a lifelong Cardinals fan, is 99.9 percent sure he is going to sign with the Cardinals. I know Beiser ball would hate to lose him, but being drafted by your hometown team is pretty damn cool. Additionally (and I did not know this), Bedell graduated from high school early so he could get a jump start on enrolling at Mizzou, so he was one of the younger college pitchers available in the draft.
“@BedellIan combination of youth & high-level experience is tantalizing to many. His greatest strength is his command, as he showcases his ability to pound the strike zone consistently with advanced feel for a quality four-pitch mix.”#C2E ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/Fs9F2xAmwz— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) June 12, 2020
#Mizzou RHP Ian Bedell says he'll sign with the #STLCards. He grew up a Cardinals fan in Iowa and has a lot of good memories from his trips to Busch Stadium and watching the team on TV.— Anne Rogers (@anne__rogers) June 12, 2020
"Well, David Freese, obviously. That takes it all."
Longtime Cardinals columnist, Derrick Goold, covered the Cards’ last few picks, both pitchers. The Athletic’s Melissa Lockard ($$) wrote about how St. Louis draft pick Ian Bedell is a throwback pitcher in a velocity-crazed era.
Bedell was not the only Mizzou player taken in the draft. Would-be incoming freshman, OF Isaiah Greene, was selected by the New York Mets with the 69th overall pick.
With their compensation #MLBDraft pick (No. 69 overall), the #Mets select Corona HS OF Isaiah Greene, No. 62 on the Top 200 Draft Prospects list: https://t.co/fFqYIrb8om— MLB Draft (@MLBDraft) June 11, 2020
Watch live: https://t.co/cmm19LX2BQ pic.twitter.com/KjZYXLXtpV
On to the Links. Happy Friday and Congrats, Ian and Isaiah!!
Yesterday at Rock M
- BK wrote about Mizzou’s interest in a very specific type of QB.
- Resident basketball savants, Sam & Matt, reunited for the new awesome episode of Dive Cuts, which featured special (awesome) guest, Souichi Terada, from the KC Star.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Hochman asked us to imagine if sports fans cared as much about political voting as they do Heisman and MVP voting.
- PowerMizzou/Rivals ($$): Matt Hamilton shared a Film Room for recent commit, Zxaequan Reeves.
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell wrote about Martez Manuel, the sophomore who organized Mizzou’s march, and both Gabe and Mitchell were back with some hot taeks in their Blowing Smoke, Presented by Weston Tobacco series.
- KC Star: Souichi wrote about Martez Manual, the man with a plan (for protesting peacefully and vote registration, and how Zac Woodfin, Missouri’s new strength coach, is getting the Tigers ready for kickoff.
- Maneater: Eli Hoff wrote that the Missouri athletes won’t stick to sports, and that’s a good thing.
- Columbia Tribune: Erin Blum wrote about how Martez Manuel stepped up as Mizzou’s recent protest leader and united the community and about how UM system athletic leaders have assured a safe return.
- Associated Press (via Columbia Tribune): Ralph Russ wrote about the NCAA is finalizing a plan to an extended college football preseason.
- The Athletic ($$): Peter Baugh compiled a Missouri Mailbag about a reasonable win total for Eli Drinkwitz in Year 1.
- In a new Women’s Hoops MIZ-ZOOM, Aussie Shannon Dufficy introduced us to another fellow Aussie, Sara-Rose Smith!
- Congrats to Mizzou’s Preseason All-SEC picks!
- Both Cuonzo Martin AND Eli Drinkwitz were guests on KMOX Radio host Tom Ackerman’s Garage Happy Hour!
Thank you to @CoachDrinkwitz for crashing my “Garage Happy Hour” with @CuonzoMartin. I’ve always loved the @MizzouAthletics family and that was strengthened today. #Mizzou #BlackLivesMatter https://t.co/6Le3ZQZmKL pic.twitter.com/CA5fxnnuX7— Tom Ackerman (@Ackerman1120) June 11, 2020
These are a few of the best sports stories & tidbits I found regarding some goings-on in sports and the world— Enjoy!
- As a reminder, the McGwire-Sosa 30-for-30 is premiering on 6/14 at 8pm. Dan Caesar of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote about the special, if not tainted, time.
- Sam Mellinger of the KC Star wrote about how the NFL is quickly changing, and Chiefs players Pat Mahomes and Tyrann Mathieu are making Kansas City a big example. Well worth checking out.
- My former city, Charlotte, did an incredible Black Lives Matter mural. Check it out!
Beautiful flyover video of the Black Lives Mural in Uptown Charlotte by Elvin OrellanaPosted by Queen City Nerve on Tuesday, June 9, 2020
- In some much needed cuteness, Twitter god, Rex Chapman shared this absolutely adorable video. Enjoy!
Post-quarantine embrace:— Rex Chapman (@RexChapman) June 11, 2020
These two 9-year-old best friends since kindergarten in Louisville, Kentucky reunite after 3 months in quarantine.
Love. Get some. ❤️ pic.twitter.com/UAVcP6UjyU
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)