Cuonzo Martin opens up
Over the last few days, Missouri athletes, coaches and administrators have been speaking out on the ongoing civil unrest in America, specifically as it relates to the deaths of black men like Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd. We’ve covered in the past two morning posts, including yesterday’s links post.
While I’m sure there are people who are tired of hearing about this story from outlets like Rock M Nation (and other Mizzou-centric publications), yesterday’s feature piece from PowerMizzou is worth putting in the spotlight.
Yesterday morning, the site published an in-depth conversation with Mizzou Hoops coach Cuonzo Martin, detailing everything from his thoughts on the past week, growing up black and America and how he sees the fight against racism.
Cuonzo Martin told me “write it to the best of your ability.” I don’t think I could write it better than he said it. So here is our full conversation about being black in America and why that’s an issue when it shouldn’t be. https://t.co/HXNSiKk0Xz— Gabe DeArmond (@GabeDeArmond) June 2, 2020
The full conversation is available to everyone, not just PowerMizzou subscribers. This link leads to it. I would encourage you to read with an open and attentive mind. Big ups to Gabe and his staff for taking the time to speak with Martin and put this together.
If you want more thoughts from Martin, he was also a part of Jeff Goodman’s podcast along with a large panel of college basketball coaches.
I got a diverse panel together to discuss what’s going on in the country & how we can create/ sustain change.— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) June 2, 2020
New Good ‘N Plenty Pod:
- Paul Hewitt (co-host)
- Cuonzo Martin
- Jeff Capel
- Matt Painter
- Mark Coyle
- Barry Collier
- Craig Littlepage https://t.co/SSgylikTk4
Yesterday at Rock M
- Florida Man! The history of Missouri football players from the Sunshine State
- Indianapolis Cornerback picks Mizzou
- Former Mizzou Hoops coach Quit Snyder joined The Woj Pod to talk about how he wants to do more in the NBA’s fight against injustice inside and outside the game.
- PowerMizzou subscribers can dig into Sean Williams’ latest breakdown of 2022 prospects, one focused on defensive recruits out of St. Louis. They can also read a Q&A with yesterday’s commit, Daylan Carnell, on why he chose Mizzou over his other options. Finally, they’ll get access to Gabe’s Monday morning thoughts, which include reflections on the past few days.
- Dave Matter and Ben Frederickson posted a video chat over at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch detailing programs that are creating excitement at Mizzou.
- We talked up the possibility of a Missouri vs. Missouri State game a few months ago, but it looks like things have stalled in terms of game contracts.
Cuonzo Martin said on SportsTalk that "as of today" the Missouri State and Mizzou game is not going to happen.— Wyatt Wheeler (@WyattWheeler_NL) June 1, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)