So, things are happening...
If (and that’s a big *IF*) there is Mizzou football played this fall, be prepared to say goodbye to the non-conference games on the schedule. (Editor’s note: sorry you wrote all those previews, Nate)
Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated reported that the SEC is moving closer to a conference-only schedule for 2020.
During a virtual meeting on Wednesday, a majority of athletic directors approved the idea of an SEC-only, 10-game schedule. However, the schedule must be ratified by league presidents. SEC presidents are expected to meet virtually Thursday to discuss the matter.
If this becomes official, the SEC would join other P5 conferences like the Big Ten and Pac-12 to have a conference-only game slate.
In a proposed 10 game schedule, every SEC team would need to add two more games to their league slate. As for what it could potentially look like, Dellenger said Mizzou’s additions would be Texas A&M and Auburn.
If SEC prezs vote conference-only, 2 additional SEC games could be the next 2 in each team's rotation.— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) July 29, 2020
BAMA: UF, VU
AU: SC, MU
ARK: UG, SC
LSU: UK, UT
MSU: VU, UG
OM: UT, UK
TAMU: MU, UF
UF: BAMA, TAMU
UG: ARK, MSU
UK: LSU, OM
MU: TAMU, AU
SC: AU, ARK
UT: OM, LSU
VU: MSU, BAMA
Of course, nothing from the SEC is official yet, as Greg Sankey said on Wednesday in a statement:
Statement from SEC commissioner Greg Sankey:— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) July 29, 2020
“It is not appropriate to respond to anonymous sources and speculation. We continue to our discussions focused on the return of fall sports, including football. We will announce any decisions at the appropriate time.”
Although we should expect an announcement from the SEC fairly soon, the ACC announced their plan on Wednesday (with Notre Dame), which includes a 10-game conference slate and one in-state non-con game beginning the week of September 7-12.
Moving along to former Mizzou player news, Max Scherzer struck out 10 batters in 7.1 scoreless innings in a no-decision against the Blue Jays, and Sophie Cunningham scored five points (and was +22 on the floor) in the Phoenix Mercury’s 106-100 loss against the Indiana Fever. Sophie and the Mercury will be back in action Friday night against the Las Vegas Aces.
On to the links (and there are a lot of them)!
Yesterday at Rock M
- In the latest Mizzou football football camp preview, Mitchell Forde looks at the running back position
- ($$) Mizzou is mentioned here as Rivals Recruiting analyst Sam Spiegelman has the latest on Texas three-star center Ezra Oyetade
- ($$) Here is the latest edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodle’s Mailbag
- In the latest Mizzou’s March to Camp series, Dave Matter has a story on Mizzou’s offensive line coach Marcus Johnson
- From Dave Matter: Report: SEC favors 10-game conference-only football schedule
- MU Tigers football: Players, coaches relish returning to something closer to normalcy, writes Souichi Terada
- From Souichi Terada, Former Mizzou Tigers defensive tackle Antar Thompson enters transfer portal
- ($$) Missouri mailbag: On underrated players, recruiting surprises, and an SEC ranking, writes Peter Baugh
- From Max Baker; Missouri defensive lineman enters transfer portal
- Report: SEC considering 10-game conference-only schedule for football, writes Andy Kimball
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Mizzou hoops brings back rare experience this winter, writes Eric Blum
- Cuonzo Martin’s sister has been named the new principal at East St. Louis High School. Congrats, Valencia!
Congratulations to my sister Valencia Shanta, who will be the new principal at East St. Louis Senior High School. She’s a tremendous leader in the community back home, and I’m excited for her to continue impacting so many lives! pic.twitter.com/W4do3kGYyV— Cuonzo Martin (@CuonzoMartin) July 29, 2020
- Former Mizzou defensive lineman Antar Thompson has officially announced that he has entered the transfer portal. Good luck, Antar!
- For the second straight year, Mizzou Baseball has earned an ABCA Team Academic Award. Good stuff, BieserBall! More here on MUTigers.com.
- Mizzou Soccer currently has six former players playing professionally, which ranks fifth most among the SEC
- The Mizzou Track and Field team 20 members to their 2020 recruiting class. More info on MUTigers.com
- The Mizzou Swimming and Diving team now has four Academic All-Americans over the last four years
- Here’s a thread for the Mizzou Pix Photo of the Year bracket for the Break Time region in the second round!
- On AL.com, Mizzou Senior Deputy Athletics Director/Chief Operating Officer Sarah Reesman was mentioned here in SEC behind-the-scenes power players you need to know
- Wallpaper Wednesday features former Mizzou pitcher Tanner Houck (with the Red Sox rotation currently in shambles, there’s a chance we could see Houck called up to the majors this season)
- With no Minor League Baseball this season, former Mizzou outfielder Trey Harris is doing some coaching!
No baseball for me this year!! Bet time to go get this Coach Of the Year Trophy next! ✌ ✌ pic.twitter.com/RWZFJU2QTX— Trey Harris (@JustCallMe_Duce) July 29, 2020
- Rivals recruiting analyst, Eric Bossi has his toughest-to-read recruitments in the class of 2021, which includes Mizzou target Tamar Bates
- The Big 12 will be holding their virtual football media day on Monday, so there’s that
- Rest In Peace to former Illinois and New Mexico State head coach, Lou Henson
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)