While some of the P5 conferences are on fire, several others continue to operate in a dream state
In this scenario, I encourage you to visualize the ‘THIS IS FINE’ gif, with the mighty SEC, ACC and Big XII all starring as the dog calmly stating it’s all okay while the other conferences just burn around them yelling into the void.
“It’s not safe!,” they yell.
“The country does not have a handle on this virus!” they shout.
“Our decision was guided by science and a deep commitment to the health and welfare of student-athletes,” they lament.
“They’re not professional athletes and we can’t expect them to risk their health!,” they exclaim.
Meanwhile, in the SEC (and ACC and Big XII)....
If that’s not your thing, Myron Medcalf of ESPN envisions it more this way.... also accurate.
Us: College football is over.— Myron Medcalf (@MedcalfByESPN) August 12, 2020
Big 12, SEC, ACC: pic.twitter.com/gxOrXdp2Gg
Regardless, this is not fine, y’all. This is anything BUT fine.
As the SEC and ACC signal that they're pressing on, it's worth noting Georgia had its deadliest day on record with 122 COVID deaths and the 7-day rolling average of cases was a near-high of 3,520.— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) August 11, 2020
You know why it’s not fine from a Mizzou standpoint? Because all the “regular kids” come back to campus tomorrow. Welcome back, all!
Raise your hand if you have faith in the rest of Mizzou’s population outside of the athletic department to help keep this virus at bay.... I’ll wait.
Listen... I believe that Mizzou’s athletic department is doing everything it can to create the safest environment within its facilities, and the University has the best of intentions. But are these student-athletes never going to set foot outside of the stadium? The MATC? Hearnes? Mizzou Arena? They aren’t going to head out to My House, cuz, guess what?! It’s open, virus be damned. They aren’t going to any house parties? Because we all know what happens as soon as they get around a bunch of un-masked, non-socially distant college students. Game over. Literally.
For the record, I get continuing to practice and prepare that until they’re told otherwise. You have to do this, so I do not blame Coach Drink and others for continuing on. You’ve got to get ready in case... this actually goes off as planned and we start the season in late September? (Editor’s note: I’m shaking my head in disbelief and making weird faces as I type this because I just can’t see it)
Also, before we move on, PLEASE read this from Gabe DeArmond over at PowerMizzou. It contains some explicit language, but man.... it’s SO GOOD.
On to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- COMING UP AT ROCK M: Nate’s got a 20 for 20 post coming later this morning.
- EDITOR’S UPDATE: Until we have more information on what is happening this season, we are holding on to the fantastical football pieces by our most excellent team of writers.
Mizzou Football/College Football Landscape
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum wrote about Drink’s excitement and preparation for playing Alabama and LSU.
- KC Star: Souichi wrote that despite football’s uncertainty, Mizzou is marching on towards training camp.
- The Athletic ($$): Peter Baugh gathered some Mizzou Football parents’ thoughts on the 2020 season. Good stuff.
- Saturday Down South: Michael Wayne Bratton wrote about how Eli Drinkwitz came to Mizzou to play against the best, so he’s not afraid of Alabama or LSU matchups.
- Local coverage of CFB happenings: Eric Blum (Columbia Tribune). Souichi Terada (KC Star). Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch).
- Other news around college football: It’s Official: The United States Screwed Up Coronavirus So Badly That It Ruined College Football Season (Slate). Read this twitter thread from Chantel Jennings of The Athletic. Top ACC Medical Advisor Says Football Can Be Played Safely (Sports Business Daily). Read this twitter thread from Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated. Sankey: It’s Unlikely the SEC Would Play Alone (USA Today)
Other Mizzou Sports Odds & Ends
- PowerMizzou ($$): Mitchell Forde wrote about a four-star guard who is intrigued to learn more about Mizzou... including taking an OV when permitted (!!)
- WOW! NINE Scholastic All-Americans for the Tiger tumblers. (More info on MUTigers.com)
- Back at it for Head Coach Joshua Taylor’s volleyball squad!
- Mizzou has extended an offer to Miles Kelly, a 6’5 Georgia guard in the 2021 class.
Mizzou/Area Athletes in the Pros News
- Ryan McDonald of Deseret.com wrote about Jordan Clarkson’s impact on the Utah Jazz. Apparently, he’s known as the leader of their informal #GoodVibeTribe. This is truly AWESOME to see.
- Joel Rush of Forbes Magazine said it’s time to make Michael Porter Jr, the third cornerstone of the Nuggets, a permanent fixture in the starting rotation.
- The Denver Stiffs (SB Nation) had some good MPJ news: Evan Fiala wrote about LeBron James’ message for MPJ, to not settle for anything less than greatness. Ryan Blackburn wrote about how Michael Porter Jr unlocks the Nuggets as contenders.
- Jeremy Woo of SI.com said MPJ is one of the five notable breakout players of the restart.
- Chad Jensen of SI.com’s Mile High Huddle asked if Drew Lock deserved all this hype. One of his teammates said YES.
- Patrik Walker of CBS Sports.com made three bold predictions about the Broncos’ season, one of which will be of particular interest to Mizzou/Drew fans.
- Rilee Stapleton of Trumans Tales/FanSided wrote about former Tigers who are “ballin in the bubble.”
- St. Louis native Bradley Beal talked about his plans for the future and the importance of his Bradley Beal Elite AAU team.
“My career is going to be coming to an end soon, so it’s like okay, what do you do after that.”— Ahmad Hicks (@AhmadHicksTV) August 10, 2020
@RealDealBeal23 talks about his involvement with his AAU program @BradBealElite and why he’s so focused on mentoring the youth. pic.twitter.com/FsrH6E3tEQ
These are some of the best sports stories & tidbits I recommend— Enjoy!
- Mizzou Football player Martez Manuel has something important to say:
- Along the same lines at Martez, check out DWade’s shirt. This is awesome.
- From the KC Star Sports Daily, they’ve got three ways the NFL could be affected if the college football season is canceled as a whole.
- OUDaily had a piece about (former Mizzou coach/GP’s nephew) Alex Grinch, whose track record suggests Speed D is primed for acceleration in year 2.
- Really cool news from Marc J Spears of The Undefeated of what Sacramento Kings forward, Harrison Barnes, and his wife Brittany, are doing with some of the money he’s making while playing in the bubble.
- This was actually an “On this Day in Olympics History” moment on Monday, but whatever. It’s the single greatest race I have ever seen in my entire life. Whenever I see the video, I can’t NOT watch it, and I get chills every time.
August 11, 2008: Men’s Olympic 4x100m Freestyle Relay Final in Beijing. Phelps’ 2nd of 8 golds. @JasonLezak w/ best final relay leg ever @DanHicksNBC & @RowdyGaines on the call— This Day In Sports Clips (@TDISportsClips) August 11, 2020
“The Americans? We're going to smash ‘em. That's what we came here for.”- France’s Alain Bernard pic.twitter.com/PEih5VCjIJ
- This is hilarious. I have been a big Cutch fan for a while.
- And I’ll leave you with this heart-melting video. Love this, Phoenix. LOVE THIS. Also, Devin Booker, keep up the ass—kicking.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)