Lou to the Zou is happening...
And for basketball. Cuonzo Martin is on a roll with this recruiting thing lately. That means it’s obviously time for some coffee.
Been on a coffee kick lately. pic.twitter.com/ELp0h2NP7L— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) September 10, 2020
The fifth member of the 2021 recruiting class is Yaya Keita, as Matthew Harris covers here. Keita joins Anton Brookshire and Trevon Brazile as in-state commits.
It's been great experience for me since day one of my recruiting process as I can commit to only one school. I'm happy, excited,and blessed to announced my commitment to Mizzou.thanks to all the coaches that have been interested in me and follow me through my journey I'm thankful pic.twitter.com/5P7EFXmpGw— Yaya keita (@Yayakei26625378) September 10, 2020
And here’s a nice gesture by a Tiger legend.
Former Missouri basketball star John Brown is doing a damn good thing. Mizzou Athletics announced on Wednesday that Brown is donating a $1 million gift to the athletic department.
Brown had his No. 50 jersey number retired in the Mizzou Arena rafters on March 9th, 2019 — and now he’s willing to give back.
“The University of Missouri means so much to me, and that coupled with my strong relationship with Coach Norm Stewart - I just felt strongly it was time to make a commitment to my alma mater,” Brown said. “We are living through difficult times, and Mizzou, like other schools around the nation, is facing unprecedented financial hardship. If you’ve been fortunate enough to have a financial situation that allows you to do so, now is the time to give back.”
Great stuff from John Brown, and here’s hoping this can help out the athletic department in a big way.
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Eli Drinkwitz has a plan to restore to restore Mizzou’s “D-Line Zou”, writes Brandon Kiley
- Nate Edwards writes about the defensive tackles in the latest 2020 Mizzou Football Position Previews
- PODCAST: Fall Camp Nuggets and Drinkwitz on the Recruiting Trail, with Nate Edwards and Brandon Kiley
- 20 For 20: #8 - Thanks to Brad Smith, Tigers beat Huskers for first time since 1978
- From Matthew Harris, Missouri lands pledge from Yaya Keita
- Offensive line starting to come into focus, writes Mitchell Forde
- ($$) Here’s the latest edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodle’s Mailbag
- With the latest edition of Trevon Brazile, Gabe DeArmond has the updated basketball scholarship chart
- Keita becomes second Mizzou commit in many days, from Mitchell Forde and Gabe DeArmond
- From Dave Matter — With COVID challenges rising, Mizzou works to settle on an offensive line
- Bennett Durando has a cool feature on Yasir Durant: ‘Mizzou’ nickname just fine for newsest Chiefs lineman
- Dave Matter writes about Mizzou’s O-Line and what they are adding in Rutgers transfer Mike Maietti
- The latest Eye of the Tigers Podcast is out with Dave Matter and Ben Frederickson: There seems to be a leader in Mizzou’s QB race
- Mizzou’s recruiting surge continues with DeSmet’s Yaya Keita, writes Dave Matter
- Mizzou basketball red-hot on recruiting trail, lands pledge for second-straight day, writes Souichi Terada
- ($$) Peter Baugh has his Missouri depth chart projections: The defense’s expectations haven’t changed
- From Tyler Hollins, Missouri basketball adds DeSmet big man to 2021 class
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Eric Blum has the coverage on the Mizzou fall Olympic schedules being released
- From Eric Blum, Mizzou football dealing with COVID-19 absences
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Soccer has annouced their 2020 schedule
- The Mizzou Volleyball schedule was also announced
- ICYMI - 12 former Mizzou Football players are in the NFL for the 2020 season
- Mizzou travels to Baton Rouge on October 10th, and LSU announced that Tiger Stadium will be filled to 25% capacity this season
- High school news, football remains off limits as St. Louis County releases new youth sports guidelines
- From CNBC, The Athletic says it hits 1 million subscribers after surviving sports shutdown
- Here is the latest #NewZou Rookie Report with quarterback Brady Cook. Give it a watch!
- Every team might make the NCAA Tournament next season? ACC is in favor. Well, OK then.
Source: The ACC will propose that ever single team in Division 1 will make the 2021 NCAA Tournament.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) September 9, 2020
- St. Louis Cardinals cardboard cutouts featuring some Mizzou coaches and staff!
- For new The Athletic subscribers, a cool deal here:
So, @TheAthletic is running a crazy deal right now! Join us for only $1/month (new subscribers only) for a limited time & get access to all of our great reporting, storytelling & analysis.— Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) September 9, 2020
Here are some of my favorite stories from 2020 so far:
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)