Last call for preseason accolades!
While there was no SEC Media Days to enjoy this off-season, there was still the preseason media projections and All-SEC teams announced on Wednesday afternoon.
Florida was picked to win the East division, and Alabama in the West — with the Crimson Tide predicted to be the league champion (shocker)!
And to no one’s surprise heading into Eli Drinwitz’s debut season, the Missouri Tigers were picked to finish sixth place in the SEC East, collecting a total of 224 points — good for 11th most in the league.
Mizzou did have a good representation of players on the All-SEC team, as they landed four players on there — and it is defense heavy. Missouri’s defense had a player on each team with Nick Bolton (first), Kobie Whiteside (second), and Tyree Gillespie (third). Meanwhile, Larry Rountree III was the only Mizzou offensive player found on the list — appearing on the third team.
Perhaps, maybe Ennis Rakestraw was snubbed? Kidding of course, but we can officially let the Rakestraw hype begin!
Mizzou DC Ryan Walters on CB Ennis Rakestraw: "When a freshman earns the job it can't be close. He's got to go take the job. And he did."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 23, 2020
Missouri has also seen their latest opt-outs of the season.
Two more Mizzou players have opted out for 2020 season, both St. Louis players: OL Jack Buford and WR CJay Boone.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 23, 2020
This means the scholarship total for the season is down to 67 players with five total opt-outs, and that offensive line depth is getting thinner and thinner.
Onto the game week links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- The team previews have officially started! Here’s Nate Edwards on the Alabama Crimson Tide
- Brandon Kiley writes that Mizzou’s secondary should be the strength of its defense
- PODCAST: Mizzou is set to host Alabama, with Nate Edwards, Brandon Kiley, and Alabama guest Dave Ozment
- In the notebook, Mitchell Forde says Mizzou needs a clean game just to hang with Bama (Yep)
- ($$) The last preseason edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodle’s Mailbag is out
- Every Wednesday night during the season at 7:30, Gabe DeArmond and Mitchell Forde will have a live chat called “The 573 Report”. Here’s their first episode.
- Dave Matter looked ahead to the Alabama game with a preview and some notes
- Drinkwitz sheds light on Mizzou COVID situation but not his quarterback, writes Dave Matter
- From Dave Matter: SEC’s Greg Sankey: “We’re redefining success”
- Two more Mizzou players (both from St. Louis) opt out for 2020, Dave Matter writes
- Souichi Terada has hive five takeaways from Mizzou’s Week 1 depth chart
- Souichi Terada writes Why Mizzou players don’t care they’re big underdogs against Alabama
- Souichi Terada writes how the depth chart is impacted after losing two more opt outs
- ($$) Peter Baugh gives us 25 things we should know about Missouri heading into this season
- Missouri football picked to finish sixth in SEC East by media, writes Max Baker
- Andy Kimball has the coverage of two more Missouri football players opting out
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Eric Blum has his game-by-game predictions for the Mizzou Football season
- Eric Blum and Langston Newsome have the latest Mizzou Sports Podcast: Tigers set to open season vs No. 2 Alabama
- We hope Cuonzo Martin and Drew Buggs each had a good birthday yesterday!
Happy Birthday to our incredible coach, leader & mentor @CuonzoMartin ☕️— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) September 23, 2020
Just 4️⃣9️⃣ years old. Have a great day, Coach!#ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/7crQTkdEso
He DON’T MISS!— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) September 23, 2020
Happy Birthday @stonecolddrew #ToTheFinishLine pic.twitter.com/nlzWTaAzhp
- The Maneater beat had a football roundtable discussion with Jack Soble and Kyle Pinnell
- Souichi Terada joined Matt Michaels on the KTGR Big Show to discuss the depth chart and preview the Alabama game
- Congrats to Cale Garrett on getting an opportunity with the Minnesota Vikings!
With injuries at linebacker, the #Vikings are signing Cale Garrett, an undrafted rookie from Missouri, to their practice squad, per source. Garrett was in camp with the #Titans.— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) September 23, 2020
- Here’s a Mizzou Football season preview with Howard Richards and Ben Arnet:
Former #Mizzou and Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman & @MizzouRadio analsyst Howard Richards (@how_rich) joins me for a @MizzouFootball season preview pic.twitter.com/EGqOUhvKxv— Ben Arnet (@BenArnetKOMU) September 23, 2020
- The 2015 Mizzou Baseball weekend starting rotation of Reggie McClain, Tanner Houck, and Peter Fairbanks have all now made it to the majors. Impressive stuff from Pitcher U!
In 2015, #Mizzou trotted out a stellar weekend rotation:— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) September 23, 2020
Friday - McClain
Saturday - Houck
Sunday - Fairbanks
Now, all three #MizzouMade hurlers have made the MLB❗️
- Perhaps, it is just respectable coach speak, but Saban had some really good things to say about Drinkwitz:
Nick Saban on #Mizzou's Eli Drinkwitz: "His (App State) team certainly executed, played well, lots of discipline and (went) out and (did) things the way we'd hope our team could do. ... I think he's a very bright guy and I think he'll do well with his program at Missouri."— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) September 23, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)