Another preseason honor for Missouri’s linebacker...
Nick Bolton is racking up the preseason accolades, as expected. On August 25th, the junior linebacker was announced to the AP Preseason All-American second team. Yesterday, he landed on The Athletic’s first team Preseason All-American list ($$).
Sure, The Athletic’s preseason All-American list included only the teams that were playing this fall, but regardless — a big congrats to Bolton! (Editor’s note: seems only fair the teams PLAYING should count towards this)
Here’s The Athletic’s take on Bolton:
“An overlooked three-star recruit from Texas, Bolton went from role player as a true freshman to breakout star as a sophomore, finishing with 107 tackles, 7.5 TFLs, eight pass breakups, and two interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown.”
Bolton was recognized as one of eight SEC players on The Athletic’s First Team.
More content from The Athletic, the staff had a full preview from the SEC out yesterday, including predicted order of finish projections ($$). Not exactly a surprise, but they had Missouri projected to finish sixth place in the SEC East division.
“First-year coach Eliah Drinkwitz says he embraces whatever the SEC throws at him. His debut will come against Alabama, with the likes of LSU, Georgia, and Florida to follow. The Tigers bring back defensive talent from a six-win 2019, and Drinkwitz revamped the offense with graduate transfers, but depth could be an issue. The Tigers have to figure out their starting quarterback, too.
And yesterday was a powerful day in Columbia — as players, coaches, staff, and many others (including Madame Editor) marched throughout the campus to protest social injustice. Everyone involved made a significant statement as the “Mizzou 4 Change” movement made a huge impact.
Mizzou junior soccer player Keiarra Slack and the Vice President of Mizzou’s Black Student Athlete Association said it best:
“This is a human rights issue. This is NOT political.”— Anthony Kristensen (@AMFKristensen) September 2, 2020
- @keiarra45 @TheManeater @ManeaterSports @mizzoubsaa pic.twitter.com/rFZQKcA00c
And some positive words from one of Mizzou Baseball’s newest addition Torin Montgomery. This is just an incredible photo here.
Mizzou did something impactful today. Thankful to see a great community since arriving in Columbia @mizzoubsaa #Mizzou4change pic.twitter.com/BzHnr08LPm— Torin Montgomery (@torinm14) September 3, 2020
Let’s be better together, Mizzou.
Better together. #Mizzou4Change pic.twitter.com/9JcsDNfA8l— Mizzou Athletics (@MizzouAthletics) September 3, 2020
Onto the links, with more highlights from the march.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate Edwards covered the Interior Offensive Lineman in the latest 2020 Missouri Football Position Previews
- Eli Drinkwitz’s offensive line has a history of keeping the quarterback clean, writes Brandon Kiley
- From Aaron Dryden: 20 For 20: #11 - Barry Odom and Drew, Finally Come Trough
- ($$) From Mitchell Forde, Mizzou is in early on 2022 wing Demarion Watson-Saulsberry
- ($$) Here’s the latest edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodle’s Mailbag
- Catching up with Cuonzo Martin, from Gabe DeArmond and Mitchell Forde
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- From Eric Blum, Former Mizzou athletes give back as high school coaches
- Mizzou cornerbacks revamping skills for 2020, writes Eric Blum
- Video from Andy Kimball on the march entering Memorial Stadium
A march against racial injustice lead by @mizzoubsaa arrives at Memorial Stadium. pic.twitter.com/zM6ndPpeAd— Andy Kimball (@byAndyKimball) September 2, 2020
- Eli Drinkwitz’s sign yesterday read “Preach and teach anti-racism.”
#Mizzou4Change pic.twitter.com/Mt5ti5P442— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) September 3, 2020
- Here’s Jeremiah Tilmon and his son.
Love & Equality. #Mizzou4Change pic.twitter.com/MkeZJS1wos— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) September 3, 2020
- From Matt Norlander of CBS Sports, NCAA committees pushing for Nov. 25 as the start date for the 2020-2021 college basketball season
- NCAA to furlough its entire staff for 3-8 weeks, from AP’s Ralph D. Russo
- The Denver Nuggets face the Los Angeles Clippers in the next round....This should be fun!
Michael Porter Jr. on why the Clippers passed on him in the 2018 draft despite having picks 12 and 13.— Mike Singer (@msinger) September 2, 2020
"No, their doctor was the one that wrote the report on me. I think he wrote some stuff like he thought that I would never play basketball again. I didn't think they'd pick me."
- Huge news surrounding the SEC East, as Georgia QB Jamie Newman is opting out of the season
Source: UGA QB Jamie Newman is opting out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19. He’s expected to begin training for the 2021 NFL draft. Newman transferred to UGA from Wake Forest following the 2019 season.— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) September 2, 2020
- Here are the latest COVID-19 updates from Mizzou, according to Max Baker
Mizzou students have 92 new cases of COVID-19, with the total up to 683 since August 19, according to the dashboard. It sat at 591 yesterday. Active cases rose by 59 and now are at 483.— Max Baker (@maxbaker_15) September 2, 2020
31 cumulative cases among staff and five have recovered.
- Nick Bolton (First Team) and Kobie Whiteside (Third Team) have been named to the Pro Football College’s All-American team
All-Americans on the #NewZou defense #MIZ pic.twitter.com/iGo77IdCtX— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) September 2, 2020
- College Colors Day is coming up on Friday!
College Colors Day #WallpaperWednesday#MIZ | #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/2fY9rHtXtQ— Mizzou Athletics (@MizzouAthletics) September 2, 2020
- Good stuff from Travion Ford....
Coming together for 1 purpose........... to WIN‼️ Let’s Go @CoachDrinkwitz @MizzouFootball #NewZou #Mizzou #Family pic.twitter.com/gk9udvv35d— Travion Ford ® (@Tre_Got_Skills) September 2, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)