It’s a Non-Revenue Sports Extravaganza!
With football over and men’s basketball on pause, let’s check in with some other Mizzou sports!
First up is TigerStyle, where Brian Smith’s Tigers continue to rise in the rankings, up to No. 9 in the newest National Wrestling Coaches Association Poll, according to Owen Krucoff of the Columbia Missourian. The Tigers will be in for a tough match up with this weekend in Iowa, facing Northern Iowa (No. 20), Iowa State (No. 10), and Arizona State (No. 11). Best of luck, fellas!
Mizzou Swimming & Diving has itself a US National Junior team member, Joseph Gutierrez. Gutierrez, a sophomore, who will be competing in open water events for the second straight year. According to Owen Krucoff of the Missourian, he first earned his spot on last year’s team as one of the top 18&U finishers at the 10K Open Water Championships.
(Editor’s Note: As someone who swam in an open water race one year at the conclusion of a Zones team meet as a high schooler, it is TOUGH. Super hard to see where you’re going and you have to alter your stroke rate a lot— at least I did).
Next up for the Tigers is a trip to Louisville to take on their No. 14/15 squads on Friday. Best of luck to Coach Grevers and the team! (More info at MUTigers.com)
Big congrats to the the fall sports teams for their 3.181 cumulative gpa! It’s their seventh consecutive semester with a GPA over 3.0. According to the MUTigers.com release:
In addition to the record-setting GPA mark, 12 Mizzou programs recorded a team GPA of 3.0 or higher, including a 3.663 mark from Mizzou Tennis, which was a Mizzou Athletics high. Also achieving a 3.0 team GPA or higher was men’s baseball, men’s swim & dive, men’s track & field, men’s wrestling, women’s golf, gymnastics, softball, soccer, women’s swim & dive, tennis, women’s track & field, and volleyball.
On to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Josh looked at how far Cuonzo Martin needs this team go. Well worth a read!
- A new episode of Dive Cuts is upon us, and Matt & Sam are back to discuss how Mizzou Basketball is on hold for now.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: In the newest Eye on The Tigers podcast, Dave Matter reveals his very early Top 25. Listen to see where the Tigers fell! In a continuation of his Mizzou in Review, he looked at. Nick Bolton’s ‘tale of two seasons.’ And in news no one wants to see, Dave wrote about how Derek Dooley is suing his former employer (Mizzou).
- PowerMizzou: For subscribers (sorry), you can check out Sean Williams’ latest look at Mizzou’s 2022 offers.
- KC Star: Souichi covered Derek Dooley’s lawsuit against his former team for failing to pay the remainder of his salary after he was let go from Missouri.
- Love to hear this about new signee, Mookie Cooper.
FACT or FICTION: WR Mookie Cooper will be a star at #Mizzou— Mike Farrell (@rivalsmike) January 11, 2021
I say FACT!
Mookie Cooper is a dynamic talent and Eli Drinkwitz is an excellent offensive mind who will utilize him in many different ways. pic.twitter.com/zRPrAV8HZf
- Congrats to DeMarkus Acy and Cale Garrett!
Former Missouri corner DeMarkus Acy signed a 2021 futures contract with the WFT today https://t.co/XPgRTSfZdW— Colin O’Brien (@cpatobrien) January 13, 2021
Giants have signed LB Cale Garrett to a reserve/future contract.— Pat Leonard (@PLeonardNYDN) January 12, 2021
Meanwhile, the contracts of WR Binjimen Victor, P Ryan Santoso and RB Sandro Platzgummer expired yesterday. They are free agents.
- KC Star: After the NCAA delayed the Name, Image & Likeness ruling on Monday (BOOOOO), Souichi wrote about Cuonzo Martin’s thoughts on the matter.
- Cuonzo Martin was a guest on Steve Hawkins’ “Next Possession” podcast. Highly recommend.
- Joe Lunardi’s newest bracket still has Missouri on a 5-seed line. Love to see it.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum looked at five questions facing the Tigers upon their return to play.
- PowerMizzou: For subscribers (sorry), you can check out Mitchell Forde’s interview with Braeden Moore, who just picked up a new Mizzou offer. It’s a good one.
- Columbia Missourian: In Joel Lorenzi’s SEC roundup, Kentucky is turning the corner.
- While Men’s Hoops is on hiatus, they asked for opinions of the best plays to date! Check it out!
While we wait to get back in action... what’s been your favorite moment of the season so far?— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) January 13, 2021
Here’s a thread to help you decide ⬇️#ToTheFinishLine
- Robin Pingeton’s Tigers are back in action this Thursday with a game against Ole Miss. Here’s hoping their Covid issues are over so they can get back on the court.
- Welp! According to Mike Singer of The Denver Post, now we know why Michael Porter Jr has been missing from the Nuggets— he’s got the Covid. Get well soon, Mike!
Various Sports News
- Non-Mizzou related, but local hoops related nonetheless, Stu Durando of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote about how SLU’s national profile is rising despite their consistent Covid issues.
- Big yikes. Covid continues to run rampant through the NBA and two prominent stars, Bam Abedayo (of UK fame) and Kevin Duran have found themselves re-infected with the virus, according to ESPN’s Zach Lowe & Brian Windhorst.
- If you’re looking for more info on the great NIL debate, Ross Dellenger has some news for you from Mark Emmert at the (virtual) NCAA convention.
- Tee hee. You really hate to see it? No..... you don’t.
Checkin' scores...— ROCK Mask-up NATION (@RockMNation) January 13, 2021
Oh, kansas lost? pic.twitter.com/UTLbjTa7El
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)