Women’s Hoops Returns with a Bang
You really love to see it. It would have surprised no one if the Tigers came out rusty after a longggg layoff due to Covid complications within their program (and others), but they did not! Mizzou handily beat the 7-2 (1-2 SEC) Ole Miss Rebels on the road 86-77 on H-O-T shooting from sophomore sharpshooter Hayley Frank and many others. This Tigers team is deep, y’all.
To the box score!
To the highlights!
Here’s the recap from MUTigers.com! Next up for the Tigers... they face LSU on January 18.
I, for one, take this performance to be a good omen for Men’s Hoops as they return to action tomorrow in College Station.
On to the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Matthew J Harris took a deep (deeeeeep) dive into Mizzou’s rotations and if tweaking them a bit might help the offense.
- Rock M is celebrating Nate Edwards’ triumphant return to the BTBS Podcast, and they’re looking at the DC situation, and everything Nate missed while caring for his newborn.
- Kortay covered the basics of the newest MIZ-ZOOM presser with Coach Martin, X, and Tilly.
- COMING UP: BK looks at some of the Defensive Coordinator candidates and Josh has a game preview— so nice to see that in writing. I have missed Men’s Hoops.
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell and Gabe were back with more football and basketball hot taeks in a new edition of Blowing Smoke presented by Weston Tobacco. For subscribers, Mitchell detailed some of the DC candidates.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter was back with a new weekly chat, covering a variety of topics.
- John Brice of FootballScoop.com broke down the coaches, featuring multiple Alabama staffers, who are in the mix to be Mizzou’s next DC.
- In a way too early top 25 poll from CBS, Mizzou Football comes in at No. 24!
- It’s the offseason, so time to vote on the #NewZou top plays!
- St. Louis Post- Dispatch: If you read no other Mizzou news or link today, you need to read THIS ONE. Dave covered Cuonzo’s response in Thursday’s zoom presser to the recent events happening in this country. I will scream it from the damn rooftops, I am SO (expletive) GLAD THIS MAN IS LEADING OUR TEAM.
- And after you read that article from Dave above, then you DEFINITELY should read this piece on Jeremiah Tilmon from Mark Godich (BJ ‘79, Sr Editor at The Athletic) for ShowMeMissouri. It is goooood stuff.
- PowerMizzou: Gabe posted Cuonzo’s presser in its entirety for your viewing pleasure. Worth a watch/listen.
- Columbia Tribune: In the newest Mizzou Sports Podcast, Eric Blum & Langston Newsome are joined by former Mizzou beat writer, Daniel Jones. Welcome back, Danny!
- KC Star: Souichi Terada looked at how a long layoff could impact the Tigers as they get back to action.
- Check out the team preview ahead of the Texas A&M game from MUTigers.com.
- Hey Alexa...
Other Mizzou Sports
- According to staff reports at the Columbia Missourian, SEC baseball will use an unaltered format for their 2021 season. Here’s hoping it goes off without a hitch. Their unis are looking sweet.
- Indoor track kicks off today in Nashville against an all-SEC slate: Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Vandy (W). FUN FACT! Did y’all know Jalen Knox is on the track team?? He’s a quick one. (More info at MUTigers.com)
- The No. 14 Tiger tumblers are back on the mat tonight for their home opener to face No. 4 Alabama. The meet will be televised on SEC Network+ at 7pm. It’s Healthcare Appreciation Night, and the first 50 healthcare workers get free admission! (More info on MUTigers.com)
- Former volleyball great, Alyssa Munlyn, is serving as a volunteer assistant for the Tigers. Check out this feature on the All-American.
Various Non-Mizzou Sports News
- Former MU golfer Peter Malnati is in the lead after the first day of the Sony Open, according to Doug Ferguson of the Associated Press (via Columbia Missourian).
- Deep, disgruntled sigh (though not in disbelief because this IS the NCAA, after all). According to Steve Berkowitz of USA Today, senators are frustrated by the NCAA’s “striking hypocrisy” in their failure to act over athlete’s benefits. Here’s some words from Sen. Cory Booker, shared by Dan Wolken on the twitterverse.
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)