Mark regains his shooting stroke & Tilly... is a monster.
That was a fun one, wasn’t it? In the words of Head Coach Cuonzo Martin, “Oooooh weeeee!”
Mark Smith found his stroke, his partner at Smith & Smith (Dru) was great, Drew Buggs had his best game, Kobe and Javon were all over the place, and Tilly was... well, Tilly. JT has had a fantastic stretch of games, getting his 4th double-double in 6 games! He’s done so well that Coach said in the presser (for the second game in a row), that THIS was Tilmon’s best game.
To the highlights!!! And there were a bunch!
My kind of poetry.
How good is Tilly? Man...
Mizzou even got a shout out from Jon Rothstein!
College basketball's most underrated troika resides in Columbia, Missouri. Dru Smith, Mark Smith, Jeremiah Tilmon. Really good team. Dominated SC at home.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) January 20, 2021
Meanwhile, in KenPom, it seems that despite the Tigers beating the Gamecocks by more than his predicted margin, they remain 38th. Disappointing. It will be interested to see where they are in the NET.
On to the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Dive Cuts is back, but Matt is joined by Rock M Deputy Manager Josh to talk Mizzou Hoops!
- Josh previewed the game, saying South Carolina is always an ugly outing.
- Jacob had your game thread.
- Kortay recapped what you saw and what the team had to say on Zoom in his game story.
- COMING UP: Sam’s Study Hall is coming, and BK takes a look at the tape of the newest transfer for Mizzou Football.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave said we should add another name to the DC list— longtime NFL coach Steve Wilks.
- PowerMizzou: Gabe updated the unofficial scholarship chart with the addition of Zatechka.
- Saturday Down South: Steve Marik outlined 6 offseason priorities for Mizzou in 2021.
- Mizzou has landed the commitment of a PWO Offensive Lineman— Isaac Zatechka. Welcome, sir!
- Columbia Missourian: Andy Kimball covered the two-star commit from Nebraska’s news.
- KC Star: Souichi wrote that with Mark Smith finding his shot, Mizzou has unlocked another one of its weapons. He also detailed what we learned as Mizzou coasted by South Carolina for their second straight win. Blair Kerkhoff told us to get ready for some NCAA games on Mondays & Tuesdays, as the new Indy-only schedule has the Elite 8 scheduled those days in Primetime.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Jeff Gordon wrote that Tilmon’s long-awaited breakout gives Mizzou their “go-to” guy. Dave told readers that Dru is breaking out of his slump at the perfect time, and recapped Mizzou’s win over the Gamecocks, which featured potent inside-out threats.
- PowerMizzou: Gabe shared the postgame presser video and his (subscribers-only) postgame thoughts, and Mitchell covered the post game report.
- The Athletic: Peter’s back! But just to tell the tale of the 2012 “We are Mizzou” hype video that just won’t go away. Sorry, subscribers only! It’s a fun read.
- Columbia Missourian: Hillary Tan posted a photo gallery from Tuesday’s game, which Joel Lorenzo wrote about Mark Smith being back in rhythm and Tyler Hollins said Mizzou turned their defense into offense in Tuesday’s win.
- The Maneater: Mason Arneson wrote that Mizzou’s efficient shooting spurred their recent home win. Jack Soble did an in-depth piece on Kobe Brown’s emergence and how he’s working to meet Coach Martin’s expectations. It’s a good read.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum detailed five things we learned in Mizzou’s win over SCar. Also check out his three things we learned in Mizzou WBB’s narrow loss to LSU.
- Check out ESPN’s recap of the game, complete with some Cuonzo commentary and highlights, as well as MUTigers.com’s recap.
- Newest Tiger Sean Durugordon was in attendance Tuesday evening and took part in shoot around. From Dave Matter:
Now that the semester has started, Sean Durugordon is with the team. Cuonzo Martin has said the staff doesn't plan to play him this year, even though the year of eligibility doesn't count.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) January 19, 2021
- Hayley Frank. Excellent basketball player.
- In other SEC news, Vanderbilt’s women’s hoops has decided to discontinue their season due to combination of Covid, injuries and opt-outs.
Other Mizzou Sports
- Mizzou Baseball has released their SEC schedule! According to the Trib, six of Missouri’s ten league opponents are ranked nationally.
- Mizzou Indoor Track took home 4 wins in the Commodore Indoor meet this past weekend, according to Missourian reports.
- Reid Glenn of the Columbia Missourian also covered the release of the baseball schedule.
- Wow! Mizzou Wrestling has moved up to NUMBER SIX in the NWCA Coaches Poll after their stellar weekend. Keep it up, guys!! According to the Missourian’s Andy Kimball,,, Mizzou has won all seven duals this season by at least 24 points.
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)