The Missouri Tigers received their 2021 schedule this afternoon.
While nothing will be as grueling as the all-SEC schedule the Tigers faced this past season, they will have the weight of new expectations as they return to a 12-game schedule. The announced 2021 schedule includes 4 non-conference foes: Central Michigan, Southeast Missouri State, Boston College, and North Texas. Per usual, the Tigers will face the other 6 members of the SEC East, and they will also cross over to the western division with games against Texas A&M and Arkansas.
The 2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣1️⃣ Schedule ⤵️— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) January 27, 2021
️ https://t.co/zb7PXQFv9i#MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/Q78UGKmoDD
Sept 4 vs Central Michigan
Sept 11 at Kentucky
Sept 18 vs SEMO (Family Weekend)
Sept 25 @ Boston College
Oct 2 vs Tennessee
Oct 9 vs North Texas (Homecoming)
Oct 16 vs Texas A&M
Oct 23 - Bye
Oct 30 @ Vanderbilt
Nov 6 @ Georgia
Nov 13 vs South Carolina
Nov 20 vs Florida
Nov 26/27 @ Arkansas (Game will be played in Little Rock)
At first glance, a few games stand out about this schedule.
- Week 2 @ Kentucky: A tough test to open SEC play, and Lexington has always been a hard place for Missouri to win. If Drinkwitz can come out of there with a win the rest of the season could shape up to be very promising.
- Week 4 @ Boston College will test the defense mightily as they return QB Phil Yurkovec who threw for absurd numbers last season.
- Week 5 vs Tennessee has intrigue after former Mizzou OC Josh Heupel was recently named HC of the Volunteers.
- Week 7 vs Texas A&M will likely be the toughest game against the SEC West. The Aggies might be a bit of an unknown after Kellen Mond declared for the NFL draft.
- Week 10 @ Georgia sets up to be the most difficult game for the Tigers again the Bulldogs return just about every weapon from last year’s team that won the Peach Bowl and was rolling at the end of the season.
- Week 12 vs Florida: If Dan Mullen finds a Quarterback, the Gators will again be considered a top 10 team. If Florida doesn’t find a QB this late-season game will certainly have a role in the final standing in the SEC East.
- Week 13 @ Arkansas might be the most exciting game on the schedule for the Tigers. Both programs are trending upward and after the theatrics of last year’s game there will be a little more on the line for both of the teams.