Women’s Hoops is back over .500!
Thursday was a big night for Mizzou Women’s Hoops as they won their second SEC game at Florida after suffering numerous very close losses recently. Neither team shot particularly well, but two Tigers scored in double digits, La’Dazhia Williams and Aijha Blackwell, who scored 16 & 14 points, respectively. AB also had SIXTEEN rebounds. Damn....
To the highlights!
Hayley Frank, a sophomore, has scored A LOT of points in her young career.
Robin Pingeton just got her 186th career win, which moves her up on the all-time wins list.
Colin O’Brien of the News-Tribune asked Coach P about this awesome honor, and she had this to say:
Moving on from Women’s Hoops... This is cool as hell... LOOK AT ALL THE RANKED TEAMS IN COMO!
On to the Links! Here’s hoping X, who now has 200 assists, helps to get the team back on the right track against TCU, who lost to kansas on Thursday evening.
Yesterday at Rock M
- COMING UP: BK looks into recruiting on the defensive side a bit more, and Josh will have your TCU game preview.
- KC Star: Souichi wrote about what Mizzou’s defense might look like now that they have Wilks and Franklin on board, as well as the news of the anonymous donation to help fund the new practice facility.
- PowerMizzou (free): Mitchell Forde continued his position resets, this time settling on the tight ends. For subscribers, Sean Williams provided a commitment analysis on newly enrolled Tiger, Jadarrius Perkins.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter was back with a new weekly chat, as well as writing about new football commit, Blaze Alldredge, who has plenty to prove, and the addition of JuCo cornerback, Jadarrius Perkins.
- Columbia Missourian: Wilson Moore said it’s official! Mizzou welcomes Jethro Franklin to the coaching staff.
- The Senior Bowl starts today, and Coach Drink & Luper were at practice catching up with Larry Three-Sticks and Tyree Gillespie.
- MUTigers.com wrote that Mizzou Football has officially added Jethro Franklin to the staff.
- Mizzou Athletics has received another sizable donation - 10 MILLION DOLLARS - to go towards its new indoor practice facility. From the release on MUTigers.com:
“Mizzou Football enjoys great momentum under Coach (Eli) Drinkwitz, on and off the field, and completing this project in a timely fashion will help bring Mizzou in line with other SEC programs from a facilities standpoint, while helping Coach Drinkwitz fulfill his vision for our football program. Having a full length indoor practice field will provide our coaches and student-athletes the ability to train year-around, no matter the weather in Mid-Missouri.”
- Possible football news to keep an eye on as Frank Cusumano reports that big-time WR, Luther Burden Jr, is switching schools. Here’s hoping that helps Coach Drink get him to Mizzou.
The #1 WR in the junior class in America, Luther Burden Jr, is leaving Cardinal Ritter and enrolling at East St. Louis. He will play spring football for the Flyers. Think it would be a positive for @MizzouFootball who have developed a nice pipeline there. @ksdknews— Frank Cusumano (@Frank_Cusumano) January 28, 2021
- PowerMizzou: Mitchell and Gabe were back with all basketball hot taeks in a new edition of Blowing Smoke presented by Weston Tobacco.
- Columbia Missourian: Shannon Belt wrote about how AB shined in Thursday’s victory over the Gators.
- The Maneater: Kyle Pinnell wrote that the women did just enough to hold on for an important win against Florida.
- MUTigers.com recapped the ladies’ big win as well!
- Impressive moves from Mizzou signee, Trevon Brazile.
This block tonight by Springfield Kickapoo's Trevon Brazile vs. Springfield Central has to be one of the states best highlights. SICK @robert_yanders @BBall_Movement @TheePistol44 @RodKRCG13 @MizzouHoops pic.twitter.com/OZaokkRzds— Jim Donnelly (@donnelly_jim) January 29, 2021
- USA Today’s Dan Wolken asked if college basketball conference tournaments be canceled to minimize COVID risk in an opinion piece.
Other Mizzou Sports
- Shannon Welker’s No. 24 Gymnastics team is back on the mat on Friday facing off against Florida in Gainesville. The meet will be televised on the SEC Network at 6pm.
- No. 6 TigerStyle’s upcoming matchup with Kent State has been canceled, according to MUTigers.com. They have two scheduled meets remaining on the schedule. From the release:
“The University of Missouri at Kent State University wrestling dual on Sunday, January 31 has been canceled due to roster limitations based on medical clearances by each institution’s medical staff. The dual will not be re-scheduled.”
- Baseball has added another tournament to their schedule, and will be a part of the Frisco Classic in early March. Reid Glenn of the Missourian has more info on the matchups.
ANNUAL FRISCO COLLEGE BASEBALL CLASSIC ANNOUNCES MATCHUPS, GAME TIMES, AND TICKET INFORMATION! @ou_baseball | #BoomerSooner@MizzouBaseball | #Mizzou@arizonabaseball | #BearDown@dbu_baseball | #DBUBaseball#BestOutsideOfOmaha ⚾️— Frisco Classic ⚾️ (@FriscoClassic) January 28, 2021
Release: https://t.co/YjWkdIieGe pic.twitter.com/5tpWMg8nuZ
- Congrats to soccer alum Zoe Cross! Cross signed a pro contract to continue her playing career in England, according to Owen Krucoff of the the Missourian.
- Volleyball’s spring season starts TONIGHT (at 6pm vs LSU), and Kayler Smith of KOMU wrote a nice piece updating readers on what to expect. The Tigers closed out the fall part of their season 6-2, ranked No. 8, and open the second half of the season ranked No. 17. Eric Blum of the Columbia Tribune also covered the restart, writing about the Tigers’ high hopes. (Additional info on MUTigers.com)
- Big congrats to Cayla Kissinger, who comes in #10 on this list of juniors from Softball America. Sadly, you’ll need a subscription to check out the link. In other softball news, MUTigers.com shared that the No. 23 Tigers are picked to finish 8th in the Preseason SEC Coaches Poll.
And unrelated to anything, I just thought this was TOO cute. The St. Louis Zoo’s penguins took a little walk to visit their animal friends. (AWWWW)
Today, our king penguins Ethel and Elliot, along with gentoo penguins CJ, Oshie, Linus, Sunny, Double, and Trouble, took a quick field trip in the snow to visit their neighbors, polar bear Kali and grizzly bears Huck and Finley. pic.twitter.com/EepUYEr6fm— Saint Louis Zoo (@stlzoo) January 27, 2021
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)