Tuesday was a good day.
Tuesdays are good days for this writer in particular, as it’s my off day and I can sleep in, chill out, and get stuff done for the site and my Etsy shop. I also knew I had the evening to look forward to, as we knew the Luther Burden commitment was likely to play out in our favor, and the new season of the Bachelorette premiered (don’t @ me, there is even a former Mizzou FB guy — Clayton Echard — on this season)! So I was happy with just this to look forward to. BUT WAIT…. There was more! SO.MUCH.MORE.
That afternoon, Mizzou Women’s Hoops presented this tweet, that got me even more super psyched for basketball season. Much like the men’s team, there are a bunch of newcomers, though not quite to the extent of the guys.
As soon as you click on the article, you’ll see AB’s face RIGHT THERE at the top.
And if you scroll down to the bracket, you’ll see in their portion of the bracket: No. 6 Virginia Tech, No. 11 Mizzou (YAY), No. 3 Iowa (sounds familiar), and No. 14 Belmont.
Coach P took to the podium and had this to say:
They seem to be building chemistry quite well, judging from the outtakes from team picture day.
And Men’s Hoops reminded us there’s only 21 days til the season starts. I’d like to remind y’all… WE STILL DON’T HAVE TIMES FOR THESE GAMES.
The SEC released their preseason rankings on Tuesday as well, and the Tigers have a been picked to finish 10th, per this article by Dave Matter. Immediately ahead of the Tigers in the rankings are Mississippi State (8th) and Ole Miss (9th). Sam would like to remind everyone that this is basically how HE picked the rankings.
NORMALLY, in conjunction with the release of the preseason rankings, we would have SEC Media Days to look forward to. Not this year, y’all, because the SEC doesn’t give a &*@$ about hoops, apparently. Can you tell I’m irritated as hell about this? Because I AM.
This typically is the week for SEC basketball media day. It’s not this year. The SEC is putting players and coaches on various shows over the next 11 days rather than holding a normal media day.— Mike Wilson (@ByMikeWilson) October 18, 2021
The promotion level falls alarmingly short of the on-court product.
Rock M Gets Us FIRED UP
Next up in Tuesday’s day of fun, we were even treated to a series of Idris Elba gifs from the Rock M account, who you may not have known, is on the BBC series, Luther. Clever, Sam, clever. I’ll only share a few, I promise…
Relax everyone, I just got excited after watching the excellent BBC show Luther, starring the indominable Idris Elba. I'm assuming the likes and RTs are because you, a reasonable Mizzou fan, are also a fan of this excellent show?— LUTHER BURDEN NATION (@RockMNation) October 19, 2021
And these two perfectly wonderful reaction videos from the staff.
On to the Links!
This pic needs a frame, y’all.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate wrote an analysis of the Texas A&M game, with the aptly titled: “Beyond the Box Score: It just keeps getting worse!” He asked, “Is Missouri a NFT? Because it continues to lose value and I have no idea how it works.” TEE HEE.
- Josh’s new Revue talks about Mizzou as the Terminator, giving it a 1-star review.
- Sam previewed the No. 13 team in the SEC, the South Carolina Gamecocks, saying It’s a pivotal season for Frank Martin.
- Nate broke the news of Luther Burden’s commitment. Nate is a gem, y’all. I loved this line: “The local 5-star product spurned every blue-blood in the country for a crappy 3-win local team. Awesome.”
- After the commitment, BK posted a new recruiting reset, calling Luther Burden pretty, pretttttttty good.
- COMING UP: Illinois non-con preview, the next team in the SEC previews, a look at DC candidates— are we finding Steve Wilks preemptively? And more…
- Luther Burden commitment wrap up: Touchdown Luther ready to lead the way to Columbia (Gabe DeArmond, PowerMizzou). Twitter reacts to Mizzou landing five-star WR Luther Burden (Mitchell Forde, PowerMizzou). Prized recruit Luther Burden commits to Mizzou football over UGA and Alabama (Eric Blum, Columbia Tribune). Video (Columbia Tribune). Five-star receiver Luther Burden announces his commitment to the Missouri Tigers (Lila Bromberg, KC Star). Five-star East St. Louis receiver Luther Burden picks Mizzou (David Kvidahl, St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Photos (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Five-star receiver Burden commits to Missouri (Wilson Moore, Columbia Missourian). Luther Burden, 5-star WR, commits to Missouri over Georgia, Alabama (Staff, The Athletic).
- Columbia Tribune: In a Tiger Extra, Eric Blum asked, Why did Luther Burden commit to Mizzou football over Georgia and Alabama? Here’s what he said.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Prior to the commitment, Dave Matter gave fans five reasons five-star receiver Luther Burden’s pledge would be huge for Mizzou. Benjamin Hochman wrote Luther Burden’s decision to play football for Mizzou is the Tigers’ biggest win of the season.
- Saturday Down South: Stacy Mickles asked if it is time to shake up the offense. (Answer: YES)
- Love this take from Brendan Wiese:
- Sammy weighed in on how this recruiting class stacks up. WOW.
#Mizzou now has SEVEN commitments on ESPN 300s Class of 2022 rankings:— Sammy Stava (@StavaonSTL) October 19, 2021
Luther Burden (No. 8)
Marquis Gracial (No. 52)
Deshawn Woods (No. 124)
Sam Horn (No. 164)
Tavorus Jones (No. 173)
Isaac Thompson (No. 197)
Ja’Marion Wayne (No. 206) https://t.co/QNFtDAIJ7V
- PowerMizzou’s Joel Lorenzi continued his player previews, this time looking at Jarron “Boogie” Coleman. Give it a read. Joel is doing a great job on these. They are subscriber only, unfortunately.
- Women’s Hoops welcomed a new video coordinator. Welcome, Michael! Plenty of info is available at MUTigers.com on the new hire.
- On Sunday, Mizzou had a no-so-secret scrimmage with Oklahoma State at Emporia St. While we have no details, everybody seemed really appreciative of the opportunity to get to work on skills leading up to the season. This thread is tweets is great.
Let me tell you something.. Mike Boynton and Cuonzo Martin are pure class. They literally glow with charisma when they talk. Their players and staff left our arena and locker rooms cleaner than they found them. It was a pleasure to host your programs. We appreciate you both! https://t.co/4R76dtTXVd— Craig Doty (@CoachDoty) October 18, 2021
It was a pleasure @thacoachmike. It’s safe to say we grew from today’s scrimmage. Special thanks to @CoachDoty and his @emporiastate program for the warm hospitality. Wishing @OSUMBB the best of luck for a healthy & successful season.#IronSharpensIron #ToTheFinishLine— Cuonzo Martin (@CuonzoMartin) October 18, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports
- According to the Missourian’s Anthony Kristensen, Missouri wrestler Brock Mauller was selected for the U.S. team for the United World Wrestling U23 Championships from Nov. 1-7 in Belgrade, Serbia. The Columbia native will compete at the 70-kg class. (More at MUTigers.com)
- According to MUTigers.com, Baseball will host SIUE for a Fall Scrimmage on Saturday.
- Mizzou Chess FTW! This is so cool!
- Next up for soccer— OLE MISS on Thursday.
Mizzou in the Pros
- Sophie Cunningham and the Phoenix Mercury met with the media at the conclusion of their season on Monday. On her upcoming free agency, Sophie said:
“You guys can’t get rid of me yet.”@sophaller on being a free agent.— Khristina Williams (@Khristina2334) October 19, 2021
- The Missourian’s Anthony Kristensen talked with MU alum and Gotham midfielder Domi Richardson, on the NWSL controversy, among other topics.
- In honor of the start of the NBA season — yay — Hochman took a look at Jayson Tatum, Bradley Beal, Quin Snyder, and Michael Porter Jr. You’ll have to wait til this evening to see Quin, JC, and MPJ.
- This tweet is true and made me laugh. Seriously, how do I dress daily?!?!
Welcome to the Midwest— Midwest vs. Everybody (@midwestern_ope) October 18, 2021
Winter is at 8am
Spring is at 11am
Summer is at 2pm
Fall is at 4pm
- And big congrats to my bud, Dave Matter!
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)