First off, have you read Kortay’s press conference recap yet? If not, give it a read. While he focused mainly on Drinkwitz’s comments about the injured seniors and how the team matches up with the Commodores, here’s some other highlights from the presser:
In regards to quarterback Connor Bazelak, who’s been having a tough go as of late:
Drinkwitz on his QB: "We've got all the faith in the world in Connor. But we also know we have to improve."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 26, 2021
“Preparation, decision making, protection. I think those really when you look at the last three games that we had multiple turnovers in, that’s what it comes down to is decision making, preparation, understanding what they’re trying to do and why that’s not a good throw and then making sure that there’s protection so we’re not forcing a ball into situations that they shouldn’t be in, the clock going off early. Those are things that we’re working through and will continue to improve.”
In regards to coaching through adversity while still being young in his coaching career:
“Some of that I’ll keep to myself because there’s still a lot left to learn and go through, but I think probably no different than the quarterback a little bit that you’ve got to have both mental toughness and physical toughness in this situation. Coach [Gene] Chizik used to always talk about you’ve got to have a 10,000-foot view. You’ve got to be able to see above the treeline and make sure you understand where the program’s going and where it’s headed. You can’t get caught up making, maybe if you drive and have your eyes down and try to steer, every turn you’re constantly changing paths. Rise above and seeing where we’re going and how we’re going to get there and what it’s going to take to be able to get there…”
Want to read the transcript or watch the video from today’s presser? Check out PowerMizzou. Various recaps to the presser are below.
Keeping with football, but unrelated to the press conference, way to go Harrison! We love our Thiccer Kicker.
Only 6⃣ FBS kickers are perfect on both field goals and extra points this season pic.twitter.com/mekEBbzOZX— Lou Groza Award (@LouGrozaAward) October 26, 2021
And for good measure, here’s some of Tuesday’s practice highlights:
More highlights from practice: https://t.co/86egGG45xV— Andrew Kauffman (@AndrewABC17) October 26, 2021
On to the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Kortay attended Drinkwitz’s weekly presser.
- Next up in Sam’s very deeply researched SEC previews? Mississippi State.
- A new Dive Cuts podcast had Sam and Matt talking about the secret scrimmages and Cuonzo’s recent presser.
- Also, we have a Women’s Hoops writer at Rock M now! Everyone give Lauren Rosenberg a follow on the twitter at lrosenberg101.
- COMING UP: Vanderbilt preview, the next team in the SEC preview (hint, they cheat), BK xxxx
- Columbia Tribune: In a Tiger Extra, Eric Blum wrote about Eli Drinkwitz using theTigers’ season-ending injuries to motivate the rest of the roster.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave Matter gave readers an early look at Vanderbilt, wrote about Drinkwitz honoring the injured players, and said Mizzou is unfazed by the “2019 Nashville Nightmare.”
- Saturday Down South: Stacy Mickles wrote about why beating Vandy won’t be easy.
- Kansas City Star: Lila Bromberg wrote about Eliah Drinkwitz’s updates on the Mizzou Tigers’ injuries, roster and focus before Vandy game.
- Columbia Missourian: Jack Soble wrote about “Merch Madness”, looking at Missouri athletes and apparel shops that are taking advantage of NIL.
- Tyler Badie is working HARD for that NIL money. He loves his Crumbl cookies!
- Great news for Daniel Hawthorne and Michael Cox, who are now on scholarship. Way to go, fellas!
- PowerMizzou’s Joel Lorenzi continued his player previews, looking at K State transfer, DuJuan Gordon, and Sean Durugordon. Give them a read. Joel is doing a great job on these. They are subscriber only, unfortunately (I signed up for free til Thanksgiving, so I can read them again— yay)
- The KC Star’s Lila Bromberg shared five thoughts ahead of the start of Missouri’s men’s hoops season.
From the release:
Among SEC ranks Blackwell finished first in defensive rebounds (8.4), third in rebounding (11.0), 12th in field goal percentage (.471) and 17th in scoring (14.5). Her 11.0 rebounds per game ranked first among Mizzou sophomores and second all-time in program history. The Berkely, Mo., native recorded a career-best 13 double-doubles last season which ranked fourth in the SEC and 21st nationally.
- Get to know new Mizzou hooper, Skylah Travis! New writer Lauren will be doing a preview of sorts in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.
- As part of the “Build Up 2 Basketball” (AKA: the poor substitute for SEC Media Days), they focused on Missouri working to close out tight games. It’s a nice article to accompany Coach P’s recent appearance on Finebaum.
- This graphic is super cool.
- What a great surprise for Dr. Leigh Neier’s class in the College of Ed:
Students in @LeighNeier’s School Health and Student Well-Being class heard from @MizzouAthletics leaders today. @mizzouhoops coach @CuonzoMartin, @mizzouwbb coach Chris Bracey, and @mizzouwrestling coach Tyrel Todd gave students advice on teaching and coaching. pic.twitter.com/5RYAR6ZlpC— Mizzou Education & Human Development (@MizzouEducation) October 26, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports
- The Missourian Staff covered a bunch of non-revenue sports in a new wrap-up, including wrestling’s scrimmage, tennis’ performance at the ITA Regionals, and women’s golf’s struggles at The Ally.
- The Missourian’s Anthony Kristensen wrote, with Missouri and Kentucky at the bottom of the standings, the final week of the SEC soccer season is nothing more than schedule filling.
- The Maneater’s Brandon Haynes told readers the story behind Anna Dixon’s leadership for Missouri Volleyball.
- Congrats to diver Sarah Rousseau, who earned SEC weekly honors for the second time this season for her performance against Arkansas. From the post on MUTigers.com:
At Mizzou’s meet against Arkansas on Oct. 23, Rousseau won the 1-meter and 3-meter events and finished second on platform. She set season-highs with zone-qualifying scores of 282.9 on 1-meter, 330.38 on 3-meter and 234.6 on platform.
Also, check out this video from the team… Super cool:
- Mizzou Volleyball (4-18, 1-8 SEC) faces Arkansas (14-6, 5-4 SEC) on tonight at 7pm. You can catch the match on SEC Network and read the preview on MUTigers.com.
- Mizzou Tennis finished its fall season with a bunch of career firsts at the ITA Central Regional Tournament. According to MUTigers.com, the Tigers finished the competition with 10 singles wins and one doubles win.
- Mizzou Cross Country hosts the SEC Championships this week on their new state-of-the-art course, Gans Creek. Check out this beauty:
- An update from golf coach Stephanie Priesmeyer:
’ | :— Mizzou Women's Golf (@MUWomensGolf) October 26, 2021
“Noelle was 7 shots better on her start today compared to yesterday. She had more opportunities & the birdie on her final hole was well earned. Sophia continued to be a very consistent player for us.”
Mizzou in the Pros
- It was Mizzou vs Mizzou in the NBA on Tuesday evening, with Michael Porter Jr’s Nuggets taking on Quin Snyder and Jordan Clarkson’s Jazz. The Jazz prevailed, 122-110. I’ve gotta say, Mike has been having a tough time offensively to start the season, as well as Denver as a whole. Head Coach Michael Malone is understandably frustrated.
Mike: 39 minutes, 13 points on 5-18 shooting (3-11 from three), 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 TO, 3 PF, +2
JC: 24 minutes, 19 points on 7-15 shooting (3-10 from three), 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 PF, +19
- Sophie Cunningham has arrived!
- Best of luck to all the former Tiger hoopers getting ready to start their pro seasons overseas!
- This warmed my heart. LOVE Markus.
- Chiefs? Not so good. Nick Bolton? KILLING IT.
Nick Bolton, in his rookie season, ranks:— KCMUSports (@KCMUSports) October 25, 2021
#1 in the NFL in tackles for loss
#6 in the NFL in solo tackles
#12 in the NFL in total tackles
He leads both the Chiefs and all other rookies in each category as well.
(Stats per ESPN)
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)