It’s getting closer and closer to that time of year, y’all. Basketball season. And while I do think Mizzou Football has time to take their season out of the gutter, I’m ready to focus on what brings me the most joy— Missouri Tigers Basketball.
As college hoops insider/robo man Jon Rothstein pointed out on the twitter on Tuesday:
Only 35 days until the 21-22 college basketball season officially begins.....#countdown— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) October 5, 2021
To celebrate the season coming closer, let’s take a look at some fresh hoops social media content, shall we? Josh doesn’t like to share a bunch of social media stuff in his links posts, so I’ve been saving them up. You’re welcome.
To start… I LOVE this graphic. It’s super aesthetically pleasing and shows our brand new team hard at work.
Speaking of hard work, check out some of the rookies:
Freshman Anton Brookshire:
I see a level I wanna reach, I say i’m with you, never gonna pretend pic.twitter.com/jx6NZrvJ8m— Anton Brookshire (@AntBrookshire0) October 5, 2021
And Trevon Brazile… damn. (from MoKan Elite recruiting coordinator):
Mizzou went out and got one of the biggest sleepers in the country with this one. I give him 2 years on campus MAYBE 3 then you looking at a 1st round pick. https://t.co/p6gFndTtrk— Reese Holliday (@TMCvision) October 2, 2021
And “old head” Javon Pickett, my personal favorite player:
And finally, we got a tip time and tv channel for the Braggin Rights game! CANNOT WAIT!
It's official. Tip time and TV is set.— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) October 5, 2021
Braggin' Rights. Dec 22.
Big Ten Network
8 p.m. pic.twitter.com/8Bs5UTPFXz
Dear Mizzou Hoops, if you’re reading this, can you PLEASE announce the times for the other non-con games? Karen needs to get her work schedule set…
On to the Links!
(Drink… to the local media today)
Yesterday at Rock M
- Kortay attended the latest press conference, where Drink got to the point… quickly.
- Nate the Great editorialized about the depth chart, or lack thereof.
- Nate also sadly had to write an analysis of the Tennessee loss. It’s just so sad, guys.
- Josh’s new Revue talks about his string of tweets about fan support, and then gets to the review, which got ZERO stars and is a lot of amazing photoshops.
- COMING UP: Nate’s previewing the Tennessee game, BK asks if any of the Tigers’ reinforcements might be able to save the defense next season, Sam previews December’s kansas game, and more…
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave Matter busy today, taking an early look at North Texas in a new Tipsheet, the scrapping of the depth chart, and writing about how Drinkwitz hopes the coaching change reconnects the Mizzou defense, while Jeff Gordon said Mizzou’s defensive collapse creates a year two crisis for the head coach.
- The KC Star’s Lila Bromberg wrote a super interesting story where she talked to a number of former Tigers about Tyler Badie’s accomplishments. This is a must read. She also covered Drinkwitz’s press conference and how it’s like Fall Camp again.
- The Missourian’s football beat writers sat down for a video interview with host Gerald Hopkins about the Tennessee loss.
- In lieu of Saturday’s epic disaster of a game, Saturday Down South’s Stacey Mickles wrote about what she considered to be the five worst Mizzou losses this century.
- In a new Tiger Extra ($$), Eric Blum wrote about Eli Drinkwitz correcting the downfall against Tennessee, saying this fight just started.
- This is certainly interesting from the NCAA. Mizzou Associate AD asked for some clarification:
Hi Matt! The waiver kicks in at the end of the first term (students who depart on or after the earlier of the last day of the school's Fall term or 12/15/21, the 1st day of the early NLI signing period). We'll have a more complete story after the meeting concludes tomorrow.— Michelle Brutlag Hosick (@NCAAMichelle) October 5, 2021
- Bright spot from the weekend? DPJ dancing.
- Want to read a transcript of Drinkwitz’s press conference Tuesday? Check out Power Mizzou.
- Teaser for this week’s uniform reveal/Homecoming hype video?
#Mizzou uni reveal for this Saturday’s homecoming game against North Texas is being shot on the quad with the help of Marching Mizzou, the Golden Girls and Mizzou Cheer.— Emily Leiker (@emleiker) October 5, 2021
Won’t spoil what the combo is, but it’s my personal favorite. pic.twitter.com/sgEFECujVT
- Coach Pingeton had the team spend the last weekend working with The Program, which helps programs build better leaders and more cohesive teams. According to their website, they’ve worked with college teams and many teams around professional sports. Pretty cool.
- Also, wishing the happiest of birthdays to Coach Corn.
- New commit Aidan Shaw showing off…
- Huge congrats to Kara Decker, Alex Honnold, Katherine Kadlec, Hannah McGivern, Megan Moll, Imani Myint, Kim Wert, and Brooke Wilmes, named as 2020-21 Easton/NFCA All-America Scholar Athletes on Tuesday. Each earned a 3.5 GPA or higher for the year!
- Larissa Anderson and her staff were hinting all day that a big commit was coming…
- Welcome, Ryan Brown! Brown, from Tennessee, is the #26 player in the 2023 class.
(Link goes to the FB page of her club team, Top Gun)
- In case you missed it, Shannon Belt of the Missourian wrapped up the Tigers’ 1-1 split with Nebraska on Sunday.
- Joshua Taylor’s squad heads to Baton Rouge to take on LSU tonight at 7pm on the SEC Network. According to MUTigers.com, this sounds like it could be a winning matchup for the black & gold Tigers:
Mizzou leads the all-time series over LSU, 13-4.
The two sides met twice last spring, with Mizzou taking a pair of 3-2 decisions inside the Hearnes Center.
Mizzou is currently riding a ten-match winning streak over LSU, dating back to the 2015 campaign. Mizzou has claimed four consecutive wins in matches taking place at LSU.
Mizzou in the Pros
- Sophie Cunningham and the Phoenix Mercury have a chance to clinch tonight with a win over the Aces. You can watch the game on ESPN at 9pm. Good on the Suns & Lakers to get their game time switched to earlier to accommodate a team who very much deserves to play on their home court. Hopefully, Sophie will be available after getting injured in Game Three to provide her energy off the bench.
As one of my favorite women’s sportswriters, Lindsey Gibbs, said on her podcast Burn it Down, “Sophie Cunningham is an asshole on the court and I love it.” Pretty much.
Sophie Cunningham is officially listed as questionable (left calf strain) for tomorrow’s Game 4, per Mercury injury report. Sandy Brondello said at practice today that it will be a game-time decision.@TheNextHoops— Alex Simon (@AlexSimonSports) October 5, 2021
- Larry Three-Sticks and Tyree Gillespie completed the jersey swap on Sunday. I never get tired of this… Shared on twitter by another former Tiger, Josh Bledsoe:
- The Utah Jazz, led by Quin Snyder, Keyon Dooling, and Jordan Clarkson — the Mizzou Trifecta— lost their first preseason game of the season on Monday to the Spurs, 111-85. The Jazz’s Sixth Man of the Year, JC, played 15 minutes and scored 11 points on 4-12 shooting (3-8 from three) with 2 rebounds. Here’s Clarkson and Quin in the Fit Tunnel (this caption is low-key hilarious):
Jordan Clarkson attending a Jazz game pic.twitter.com/RBcoQHDhK4— GQ Sports (@GQSports) October 5, 2021
- Mike Singer wrapped up Monday’s preseason game against the Clippers for the Denver Post, touting Michael Porter Jr’s performance in the 103-102 loss. In his 22 minutes starting, he scored 23 points on 9-15 shooting (3-5 from three) with 7 rebounds and 1 assist. He looks stronger, huh? MUST BE THAT WORK WITH NICODEMUS CHRISTOPHER, HUH?
Couple early observations on MPJ: He came halfway across the court to challenge Clips corner 3. I'm not sure he makes that challenge last year. Also, he looks stronger.— Mike Singer (@msinger) October 5, 2021
- DRUUUUUUUUUUUU Smith suited up on Monday evening for his first preseason game as a member of the Miami Heat. In Dru’s 3 minutes off the bench (the Heat won 125-99), he scored 3 points on a three pointer, and had one assist. WAY TO GO, DRU!
- Lookin good, Tanner! The former Mizzou Tiger’s team, the Red Sox, knocked off the Yankees 6-2 to take the AL Wild Card game.
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)