This. Recruiting. Class. Is. LOADED.
Like, the highest-ranked recruiting class in program history type of loaded.
A potential program-changing five-star wide receiver from East St. Louis? Check. Luther Burden III is officially a Missouri Tiger.
A four-star QB that has all the potential to be one Mizzou’s all-time greats? Check. Sam Horn officially became the first 2022 Tiger to sign.
Plenty of other three and four-star recruits that are in-state commits and decided to stay HOME to build the foundation of this program? Check.
Here’s the rest of the 2022 class (so far).
14 of the previously 15 committed recruits have officially signed with Missouri, as Mizzou waits on one more — Deshawn Woods from Omaha, Nebraska.
The one actual commit for Mizzou on Wednesday afternoon was a big one, and that was Boonville, Missouri native DJ Wesolak.
With Wesolak’s commitment, here’s where Mizzou’s 2022 recruiting class ranks right now:
Rivals: 18th in the country, ninth in the SEC (one five-star, six four-stars, nine three-stars)
247Sports: 12th in the country, fifth in the SEC (one five-star, seven four-stars, eight three-stars)
($$) ESPN: 10th in the country, fourth in the SEC (one five-star, nine four-stars, six three-stars) - Half of Mizzou’s recruiting class are ESPN 300 commits.
Wednesday was a pretty cool day to be a Mizzou fan, in my opinion.
And, if you missed SEC Network’s coverage of National Signing Day, check out Drinkwitz’s interview with Gene Chizik and Roman Harper. Great stuff.
Also, say what you want about Cuonzo Martin right now, but I thought this was really, really cool. Credit where credit is due.
Drinkwitz on SEC Network says Cuonzo Martin was instrumental in recruiting Luther Burden because of his relationship with Luther‘s father.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) December 15, 2021
Drinkwitz: Cuonzo Martin coached Burden's dad in grass roots basketball. Notes that CM's sister is the principal at East St. Louis HS. Says that without Martin's help, MU probably doesn't sign Burden— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) December 15, 2021
Onto the links. M-I-Z!
Yesterday at Rock M
- I took a look at the Top Three Positions of Need for Mizzou Football Entering 2022
- BREAKING: D.J. Wesolak Commits to Mizzou, from Nate Edwards
- From Parker Gillam: Eli Drinkwitz recaps the early signing period
- UPDATES: Early Signing Period 2021 for #NewZou2022, from Nate Edwards
- Josh Matejka had his three takeaways from Early Signing Day
- From Dave Matter’s Recruiting Q&A with Danny Heitert: A closer look at Mizzou’s in-state haul
- Mizzou loads up on ready-made offensive playmakers, writes Dave Matter
- From Dave Matter: Mizzou signs 15 players for 2021 signing class
- Mizzou’s Drinkwitz says teams have one choice in age of NIL: ‘Adapt or die’, writes Dave Matter
- Mizzou Tigers football recruiting: Drinkwitz’s historic 2022 class takes shape today, writes Lila Bromberg
- Mizzou Tigers sign potential franchise QB in Sam Horn: ‘Change that whole program’, writes Lila Bromberg
- From Lila Bromberg: Mizzou Tigers football gets pledge from Boonville defensive lineman DJ Wesolak
- Blackwell announces Insomnia Cookies sponsorship, Shannon Mia Belt writes on Aijha’s IL deal
- From Wilson Moore: Drinkwitz talks 2022 signing class, eyes goals for future classes
- From Calum McAndrew: East St. Louis’ Burden, QB Horn, DE Wesolak highlight MU’s 2022 class on early signing day
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- From Chris Kwiecinski: Mizzou women’s hoops star Aijha Blackwell strikes NIL deal with Insomnia Cookies
- From Eric Blum: Tracking Mizzou football signees on National Signing Day 2021
- Mizzou coach Eli Drinkwitz says Cuonzo Martin was ‘instrumental’ in securing Luther Burden commitment, writes Eric Blum
- National Signing Day: Boonville standout and 4-star recruit DJ Wesolak signs with Mizzou over LSU, Alabama, and more — writes Eric Blum and Chris Kwiecinski
- Missouri football lands record breaking 2022 recruiting class with heavy Show-Me State influence, writes Eric Blum
- If Luther Burden tweets it, then it’s official. Those are the rules.
- Here’s Luther Burden on a KSDK interview with Corey Miller:
"I want to be the best to ever touch a football."— Corey Miller (@corey_miller5) December 16, 2021
East St. Louis 5-star WR Luther Burden III (@lutherburden3) is officially heading to #Mizzou to play for @CoachDrinkwitz, and has some big plans once he gets there.
Touchdown Luther wants it all. pic.twitter.com/iFdes16bZx
- A note on Sam Horn: He won’t be at Mizzou until the summer after he finishes high school baseball season in the spring
Drinkwitz says Sam Horn will be allowed to pursue his baseball career during the spring when he's at Mizzou. (Not this spring because he won't be at MU until this the summer.)— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) December 15, 2021
- Here’s what Drinkwitz had to say on SEC This Morning with Peter Burns and Aaron Murray
M-I-Z! @MizzouFootball landed 5-star WR Luther Burden while @CoachDrinkwitz was on air on SEC This Morning— College Sports on SiriusXM (@SXMCollege) December 15, 2021
Coach Drink talked about what Burden brings to the table, and told @PeterBurnsESPN and @aaronmurray11 how he plans on celebrating pic.twitter.com/0rRIpiKVWJ
- Well, when you put this into perspective, it’s just incredibly impressive what Drinkwitz has been able to do
Mizzou’s attendance is at mid-90s levels (which is to say, it’s real bad), the team has been exactly .500 for three straight years, and Drinkwitz is out here signing what might end up the most highly-rated class in school history. https://t.co/Qu0JkDOIt9— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) December 15, 2021
- This is a really impressive stat for Aijha Blackwell!
- Some good stat research here from Shawn Davis.
Mizzou 4- or 5-star recruits in last two classes (2021-22):— Shawn Davis (@ShawnTD77) December 15, 2021
▪️ Rivals: 12
▪️ ESPN: 13
▪️ 247 Sports: 11
4- or 5-star recruits in previous five classes (2016-20)
▪️ Rivals: 6
▪️ ESPN: 13
▪️ 247 Sports: 7
It' unprecedented what @CoachDrinkwitz at #Mizzou.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)