Mizzou — Top 25 or Not 25? (I’m so sorry)
Mizzou’s about halfway through SEC basketball play, and they’ve earned a thorny distinction amongst mad online basketball guys — the Top 25 team that shouldn’t be.
If you paid any attention to the Rock M Twitterverse yesterday (if you don’t have Twitter, hey good for you!), you’ll notice that our mentions were full of hot air from at least one guy who insisted Missouri isn’t a Top 25 team because of the underlying numbers that generally have Missouri in the 30s. And while that is true — the advanced numbers do worry a little bit when it comes to the Tigers — Missouri still has one of the best resumes in the country with a legitimate shot at winning the SEC. And as we roll into another week, which always means new polls to get mad about, let’s see where some of the big basketball names around the country are spotting Missouri.
Jeff Goodman still has Mizzou within his top 15, just ahead of Tennessee for the second spot in the SEC.
Updated Goodman Top 25 with tons of movement: pic.twitter.com/a2kjIWJw4B— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) January 31, 2021
Meanwhile, Seth Davis rates Mizzou a little lower (though not by much), but still ahead of Illinois.
1.Gonz— Seth Davis (@SethDavisHoops) February 1, 2021
247, which projects the AP poll every week, has Missouri slotting in at No. 14, a slight fall from last week. The site still believes, however, that the Tigers are one of the SEC’s best.
The Tigers were thisclose to an 0-2 week, but were able to erase a double-digit deficit late against TCU in a 102-98 overtime victory. Missouri started the week falling to Sharife Cooper and Auburn, but Missouri continues to look like one of the SEC’s best teams.
We’re due to get a new Associated Press poll later today, so we’ll see where the rest of the voters stand on Mizzou’s ranking relative to what the underlying numbers say.
Yesterday at Rock M
- SBNation Reacts: We’re all happy about Missouri and disappointed in Kentucky
- Study Hall: Mizzou 102, TCU 98
- PowerMizzou published a full transcript of SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey’s interview with the media before Saturday’s Mizzou vs. TCU game. Subscribers to the site can also get a roundup of new Mizzou football offers from the previous week.
- The Mizzou women continue to get close, but no cigar, against the SEC’s best, falling 61-55 to No. 14/15 Kentucky.
- Pro Football Network has Missouri landing three picks in the upcoming NFL draft, all in even rounds. I’ll let you check out who is going where... according to this guy, at least.
- I spy... some new faces in the latest Mizzou Football workout video!
- Jordan Clarkson scored more points, but Michael Porter Jr.’s team got the last laugh in a match up between Western conference powerhouses Denver and Utah last night.
- Some little-known faces are stepping up for Mizzou volleyball after a few weekend wins.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)