Well, that wasn’t ideal. At all. That had trap game written all over it, and Mizzou’s first game played as a Top 10 team since January of 2013 results in a 21 point blowout loss to an average Ole Miss team. Yikes, but it sounds about right.
There’s just not much to say about this one, but of course this happens.
Mizzou is closing out on most of these Ole Miss 3s. Ole Miss was THE worst 3-point shooting team in the six major conferences coming into tonight - and shooting 8 of 19.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) February 11, 2021
Yeah......we were all Jon Sundvold last night.
But, it’s important to note that last night doesn’t really derail the season. It’s college basketball, games like these happen and sometimes it’s just not your night. This was also just a Quadrant 1 opportunity that was missed.
Just remember, this team is STILL 13-4 and in contention for a top four spot in the SEC. They haven’t lost back-to-back games all season and they’re undefeated in Rally For Rhyan, which is up next against Arkansas on Saturday afternoon. That has all the makings of a bounce back win.
We should obviously expect a better effort next time out, because this was a telling quote Cuonzo calling out his players.
Cuonzo Martin not holding back: "Some guys didn't give it tonight. Some guys didn't show up."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) February 11, 2021
Enough of this one....Sam Snelling will have much more covered on the Study Hall later.
In better news, the 10-0 Mizzou Wrestling team is now up to No. 5 in the NWCA Coaches Poll. Up next is the Cowboy Challenge in Stillwater on Sunday where they’ll match up with No. 6 Oklahoma State (9-0), Wyoming, and West Virginia. That’s right before the MAC Championships. Big weekend upcoming for Tiger Style!
Other SEC basketball scores on Wednesday night:
- No. 16 Tennessee 89, Georgia 81
- LSU 94, Mississippi State 80
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- From Sam Snelling: Handicapping the SEC Player of the Year race
- Hoops Preview: Ole Miss will steal a win (literally) if you let them, writes Josh Matejka
- Kortay Vincent had the Gamestory: Tigers Come Out Flat in Oxford
- Mitchell Forde has the Tiger Tip-off Preview of Ole Miss
- ($$) Here is the latest edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodles Mailbag
- Gabe DeArmond had The Baseline View Video pregame , and The Burgers’ Smokehouse Dance Class postgame
- WATCH: Martin explains loss to Ole Miss, video up from Gabe DeArmond
- ($$) Here are Gabe DeArmond’s Post-Game thoughts after the 80-59 loss to Ole Miss
- Post-Game Report: Mizzou lacks defense, energy in loss at Ole Miss, writes Mitchell Forde
- Martin changes his way, has Mizzou playing faster than ever, writes Dave Matter
- Dave Matter has a preview of No. 10 Missouri at Mississippi
- Dave Matter’s Mizzou Gameday Blog: Stakes are high for Tigers in Oxford (they sure didn’t play like it, though)
- Rebels’ second-half surge too much for No. 10 Mizzou, writes Dave Matter
- From Souichi Terada: Missouri Tigers basketball at Ole Miss Rebels: Prediction, TV, lineups, betting line
- Mizzou basketball blown out by Ole Miss as Tigers’ defense falters on the road
- Women’s Game preview from Hal William Estep: Missouri looks to shock No. 1 South Carolina
- Ole Miss dominates Missouri, defeats Tigers in Oxford, writes Tyler Hollins
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- No. 10 Mizzou blown out by Ole Miss 80-59, writes Eric Blum
- Jeremy Maclin joined Brendan Wiese and Ben Frederickson on The Big 550 KTRS’ The Big Sports Show to discuss becoming Kirkwood’s next head football coach
- On NCAA.com, CBS and Turner Sports have announced the game windows and programming schedule for this year’s March Madness
- From The Maneater’s Jack Soble, Dru Smith scores quietly and lives loudly
- On MUTigers.com, No. 16 Mizzou Volleyball Treks to Tennessee This Weekend
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Women’s Basketball Set For Thursday Matchup with No. 1 / 3 South Carolina
- On MUTigers.com, No. 23/24 Mizzou Softball Updated Weekend Schedule
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)