It’s that time again, friends.
Time for my annual “I can’t handle losing” links post — I wish I could stop doing this— as told by Arrested Development gifs so I don’t have to really think about what happened on the basketball court and its implications for being ranked (which we surely won’t be anymore) and in the NCAAT discussion (still in it, don’t fret).
I was hoping this would be a turnaround game, and that this wouldn’t happen. But it did. Man, I miss Tilly. Thinking of him and his family during this tough, tough time. Coach Martin said in the postgame that “someone has to take the bull by the horns” in his absence to get stops, execute, and it can’t always come from the sidelines. That is true.
Mizzou really, really, REALLY misses Jeremiah Tilmon. He does so much on both ends for the Tigers.— CJ Moore (@CJMooreHoops) February 17, 2021
Let’s look at how things went, shall we?
Thoughts first half, watching Parker Braun and Kobe continue to their ascension into fan faves. Parker was filled with joy after every great thing he did, and Kobe scored 13 first half points. You love to see it.
Then... the fateful second half. Up 13 points with 14:22 left to down what felt like Mizzou doing this... Are we sure they didn’t actually do this? I kid...
I imagine this is how Kobe and Parker felt, because why can’t Mizzou have nice things?
My state of mind after that game... I’m feeling very dramatic.
But in all seriousness, this is more accurate. Glad I’m at home alone to just bask in this sadness as a result of this untimely stretch of losses. MAKE IT STOP.
However, if you come with your “Fire Cuonzo” takes, I WILL promptly do this. I’m not here for it, and never will be. This also represents me closing the door on this mess. Meltdown over. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
On to the Links! Sam will have your Study Hall up in a few hours.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Dive Cuts is back, and Sam & Matt are talking about Mizzou’s 0-2 week, the upcoming games against UGA & SCAR and what should become of the SEC Tourney.
- Nate (the Great) took a closer look at Mizzou’s returning production on offense.
- Jacob had the game thread and Kortay had your game story.
- Josh previewed the Georgia game, calling Georgia tenacious.
- COMING UP: Sam will have your Study Hall (his opening paragraph made me laugh way too much), and BK has another roster reset, this time for the offensive line.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave covered the news that St. Louis’ Jack Buford has entered the transfer portal.
- Did you know? It’s trivia time from Mizzou Football!
DYK? #Mizzou's 5️⃣ @SEC wins in 2020 were its second-most ever, trailing only the 7-1 marks it set en route to winning back-to-back SEC East crowns in 2013 & 2014.#MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/4GFkwZntus— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) February 17, 2021
- We here at Rock M wish Jack the best of luck at his next destination.
Thank you mizzou nation next chapter on the way pic.twitter.com/LzUeJUqIS2— Jack Buford (@jackjack2k19) February 16, 2021
- Choose Your Own Game Story: Eric Blum (Columbia Trib). Blair Kerkhoff (KC Star). Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Gabe DeArmond (PowerMizzou). Joel Lorenzi (Columbia Missourian). MUTigers.com.
- The Athletic ($$): Eamonn Brennan was back with another Bubble Watch, where he gives updated thoughts on teams like Missouri, who are still firmly in the tourney picture.
- PowerMizzou: Gabe posted video of Cuonzo Martin’s postgame presser. You can also check out their newest Dance Class where Gabe talked for a bit and took calls from the public. For subscribers, Rivals national recruiting analyst Rob Cassidy talked with 2023 guard Carl Cherenfant on schools he’s heard from, including Mizzou and LSU (stay away, Will “Cheater” Wade.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum, in his newest Bracketology, looked at where Mizzou could find themselves on the seed line come tourney time.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: In his Gameday Blog, Matter said Mizzou needs their backcourt to shine in Tilmon’s absence, while BenFred wrote that March Madness would be less “magical” if conference tourneys are canceled or watered down.
- KC Star: Blair Kerkhoff, who appears to be handling the Mizzou duties with Souichi gone, wrote about how the Tigers are going to need to learn to handle adversity after their latest loss.
- Columbia-Missourian: In Tyler Hollins’ newest post, he wrote that Kobe Brown stepped up against Georgia in Tilmon’s absence.
- According to 247Sports’ Travis Branham, 2022 three-star IL combo guard Trey Pettigrew would like to visit Missouri. The Tigers appear to be in good shape with him.
- Miss the newest Tiger Talk? You can check it out on the Inside Mizzou Athletics Podcast and listen to Coach Pingeton, Coach Bracey, and LaDazhia Williams.
Other Mizzou Sports
- Ben Miglore of the Missourian wrote about Mizzou playing host to the SEC Diving Championships, which begin today at the Mizzou Aquatic Center. From the article:
On the men’s side, sophomore Carlo Lopez and junior Ike Khamis represent the Tigers’ best chance at medaling in this year’s events. The pair have been pushing each other all season and alternating who holds the best score in each of the three men’s events... On the women’s side, junior Sarah Rousseau and sophomore Savana Trueb are the names to watch. Trueb has the highest score in the platform and 1-meter dives, while Rousseau does in the 3-meter.
- Good job, Tiger Style!
@nwcawrestling Coaches Poll— NCAA Wrestling (@ncaawrestling) February 16, 2021
2. Penn State
3. Virginia Tech
6. Oklahoma State
7. NC State
10. Arizona State
- This video from Mizzou Swim & Dive is so so cool. Check it out.
Welcome to OUR house pic.twitter.com/yFdZEoAesA— Mizzou Swim & Dive (@MizzouSwimDive) February 16, 2021
- Congrats to Mizzou gymnast Amaya Marshall, who was named SEC Co-Freshman of the Week after her performance in the No. 25 Tigers’ win over ranked Auburn. She is the fifth Tiger to be awarded such an honor. The Tigers are back on the mat on Friday when they travel to Fayetteville to take on No. 5 Arkansas at 7:30 p.m. (info from MUTigers.com)
- A few future Tiger gymnasts are making a name for themselves!
- Looks like softball’s trip to Baylor for the Getterman Classic has been canceled due to the wacky winter weather in Texas.
- Track & Field continues their look at notable former Tigers during Black History Month. Next up... Chidi Imoh, one of the most decorated Tigers in school history.
After his remarkable collegiate career, Imoh would go on to compete in three Olympic Games, where he was a part of Nigeria’s silver-medal-winning 4x100m relay team. pic.twitter.com/61W12qBcqb— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) February 16, 2021
Mizzou in the NBA/Mizzou Adjacent News
- JC hung a cool 40 (!!) on the 76ers on Monday night for Quin Snider & the Jazz their 134-122 win. Y’all, he CAME OFF THE BENCH and did this.
- MPJ isn’t doing so hot offensively, but his teammates aren’t worried. The Nuggets lost to the Celtics 112-99, and while Mike played 24 minutes, he was 0-8 from the field. He did have 7 rebounds and 3 assists and a block though, and +2 overall, one of only three Nuggets on the plus side.
Nikola Jokic on MPJ's struggles: "We all trust in him. He's a really good shooter. I think there is no reason for anybody to pull him aside."— Mike Singer (@msinger) February 17, 2021
- Former Mizzou Hoops head coach Mike Anderson tallied win number 400 on Tuesday night with St. John’s win over Xavier.
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)