Missouri takes a dip in the polls after 1-1 week
There’s a new poll in town, and it has a few choice words for the Missouri Tigers.
After going 1-1 last week, with a loss to Sharife Cooper and his 21 free throw attempts, the Associated Press docked Missouri somewhat heavily, dropping the Tigers from 12 to 18. Again, I’ve discussed how the Tigers will have a hard time climbing above No. 12, but this would be the week to do it. Beat Kentucky (not ranked, but still prestigious) and Alabama (Top 10), you may be back at 12 or perhaps higher.
But according to KenPom, Missouri is favored to win the rest of their games but two — Alabama and the season closer at Florida. If they want to maintain the Top 25 ranking throughout the end of the season, taking care of business this week would seem to be the best way to start.
At least the Tigers can say they’re still high in the local rankings? Jeff Gordon at the St. Louis Post Dispatch had the Tigers second to Illinois in his weekly local power rankings for St. Louis-area (and southern Missouri) teams.
But with TCU scoring like an NBA team, the Tigers needed Pinson’s big finish to force overtime and then prevail. And they needed this victory after suffering an avoidable 88-82 loss at Auburn Tuesday. Jeremiah Tilmon continued his long-awaited breakout by scoring 54 points and grabbing 21 rebounds in the two games last week.
Yesterday at Rock M
- The Offensive Woes of Mark Smith
- Analysis: How Jeremiah Tilmon’s skill is finally merging with Mizzou’s scheme
- Rock-M-Tology: A look at where Missouri Basketball stands in our latest projections
- Mizzou Football landed on the top schools list for another big-time St. Louis area recruit on Monday.
Gracial, who tells Rivals that Missouri and Alabama are the two schools he’s most excited about right now, is a four-star defensive tackle at St. Charles High School.
- Mitchell Forde sorted out where Mizzou stands in the current SEC hoops pecking order, while Gabe typed up his Monday thoughts and Sean Williams spoke with a 2022 running back recruit about his interest in Mizzou.
- Mizzou Baseball dropped its 2021 non-conference schedule on Monday. Is that a certain school to the west I see?
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)