WE. WANT. BAMA.
A win is a win, and we’ve been saying that a lot lately. With a 75-70 victory on Wednesday night, the Missouri Tigers beat the Kentucky Wildcats for just the second time in program history — and both of those wins belong to Cuonzo Martin.
With a team-leading 26 points from Dru Smith, Mizzou improved to 12-3 (5-3 SEC) on the season, and that currently puts them in second place in the league. Right now, Missouri is up to 34th on KenPom and 27th on Bart Torvik.
Jimmy Dykes, who was on the call with Karl Ravech on ESPN2 last night, liked what he saw from Missouri:
Lot to like about this @MizzouHoops team. Tillmon was not great tonight but he is the anchor. I trust their collective character and maturity. Big one Saturday vs Bama.— Jimmy Dykes (@CoachJimmyDykes) February 4, 2021
And this all sets up to be a much anticipated match up with the top two teams in the league.
Mizzou. Alabama. Saturday. 11 AM. ESPN. The Crimson Tide are certainly due for their first SEC loss of the season, right? One can only hope.
Here are the highlights from last night’s win:
And yes, Wednesday was the second National Signing Day in College Football, but it was a relatively quiet one for Mizzou (as to be expected). The two new additions that have officially signed were Chattanooga running back BJ Harris and Rice linebacker transfer Blaze Alldredge.
But go ahead and do yourselves a favor and head over to the Mizzou Football Twitter, as there’s a bunch of cool content with family videos of all the new recruits.
Other SEC basketball scores on Wednesday night:
- South Carolina 72, No. 22 Florida 66
- No. 10 Alabama 78, LSU 60
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Roster Reset: Connor Bazelak is ready for his encore, writes Brandon Kiley
- Hoops Preview: Kentucky still hasn’t figured it out, from Josh Matejka
- From Jacob Giancola: Game Thread: Tigers vs Wildcats
- Tigers Tame Wildcats in 75-70 Victory, writes Kortay Vincent
- ($$) Signing Day Preview: Part 2, From Sean Williams
- Mitchell Forde has the Tiger Tipoff Preview of Kentucky
- ($$) Here is the latest edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodles Mailbag
- Rivals Exclusive: One-on-one with Mizzou’s Eli Drinkwitz
- From Gabe DeArmond, Here is The Baseline View video pregame of Kentucky, and the Burgers’ Smokehouse Dance Class Postgame
- WATCH: Martin talks win over Wildcats
- Gabe DeArmond shares his post-game thoughts after the 75-70 win
- Mitchell Forde has the Post-Game Report: Mizzou hangs on to top Kentucky
- From Dave Matter, it’s a new role for Mizzou: Tigers are favored against reeling Kentucky
- Mizzou adds running back B.J. Harris on second signing day, writes Dave Matter
- Dave Matter’s game story: Tigers never trail, outlast Kentucky with strong finish
- From Souichi Terada: Missouri Tigers basketball vs Kentucky Wildcats: Prediction, TV, lineups, bet line
- Mizzou Tigers Football puts finishing touches on strong 2021 recruiting class, writes Souichi Terada
- Mizzou Tigers put away struggling Kentucky, next up is SEC-leading Alabama, writes Souichi Terada
- Souichi Terada looks at how Mizzou prevailed again with late-game execution and beat Kentucky
- From Hal Estep, Missouri women’s basketball needs to break out of their shooting slump against No. 16 Arkansas
- From Emily Leiker, Missouri finalizes 2021 recruiting class, local players sign on National Signing Day
- Missouri to request approval for new indoor facility Thursday, writes Emily Leiker
- Missouri holds on to down Kentucky at home, writes Joel Lorenzi
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Eric Blum has a breakdown of Mizzou’s 2021 signees
- No. 18 Mizzou fends off Kentucky 75-70, writes Eric Blum
- This is absolutely awesome from Torrence Watson. Love to see it.
Torrence Watson didn’t get into the game tonight but he’s been out here shooting for about 30 minutes pic.twitter.com/6y1jO9Eg7X— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) February 4, 2021
- Good stuff, L’Damian Washington!
Norris Stevenson, from St. Louis, was the first African American to play football at MIZZOU! @MizzouMonstar2 did a great of presenting his legacy to our team today. #BlackHistoryMonth pic.twitter.com/214K3h0YH7— Eliah Drinkwitz (@CoachDrinkwitz) February 3, 2021
- The Elite 11 has a quarterback breakdown on Mizzou commit Tyler Macon. Very high praise from Trent Dilfer.
- According to Jake Weingarten, Mizzou has impressed 2022 four-star junior forward Demarion Watson-Saulsberry. More here on Stockrisers.
Four-star junior Demarion Watson-Saulsberry finished with 19 points, 12 rebounds, and three blocks in the win for @TCEagleBball. He talked his recruitment with @stockrisers:— Jake (@jakeweingarten) February 3, 2021
Xavier and Mizzou impressed him? Marquette’s pitch, plus, who else is in the mix?https://t.co/tBcekPzYzK
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Women’s Basketball Returns Home to Host No. 16/15 Arkansas
- Aijha Blackwell. Rebounding machine.
- Good stuff from SEC StatCat as they did in to Missouri’s 2020 Offensive Play Calling. More here:
ICYMI: While it's easy to get distracted by the cool trick plays, the Off-Tackle anchored Missouri's offensive scheme. See how the Tigers sought effective balance using that Outside Zone as its focal point for the rest of Mizzou's attackhttps://t.co/2WZp0Hy3Ru— SEC StatCat (@SEC_StatCat) February 3, 2021
- Mizzou-Arkansas Football games will be played in Fayetteville instead of Little Rock for now on:
No more Mizzou-Arkansas football games in Little Rock.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) February 3, 2021
As part of a new amendment with War Memorial Stadium, previously scheduled games against Mizzou for 2021, 2023 will be moved to Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville.
- Yesterday was National Girls and Women in Sports Day, and Mizzou has got a lot of good ones!
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)