Come to Mizzou, win a Super Bowl. It’s that simple.
Last night, in a less-than-thrilling Super Bowl LV, a quarterback playing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers made all the difference. Using the skills he honed at a state university which wears an “M” on its helmet, this quarterback deftly picked apart a tenacious Kansas City defense and led his team to Super Bowl glory.
Congratulations to Blaine Gabbert* on becoming a Super Bowl champion. I think that’s all that needs to be said, folks
Of course, there’s always the flip side to consider. There’s quite a bit of crossover between Chiefs fans and Mizzou fans, but the Chiefs also roster one of their own #MizzouMade players in Yasir Durant. I can’t recall seeing Durant get in on any snaps — which seemed strange considering the Chiefs decided not to play any offensive linemen for most of the game — but it’s surely a big disappointment for the once-undrafted lineman.
Never fear, Yasir. Patrick Mahomes will have you and your teammates back in the Super Bowl before you know it. The man can literally throw a 20-yard pass while one inch above and parallel to the turf.
Here are a few more Chiefs and Bucs connections to Mizzou that you may or may not know of:
ICYMI: There are a ton of Tigers in Tampa Bay for #SBLV #Mizzou #Chiefs #Buccaneers— Andrew Kauffman (@AndrewABC17) February 7, 2021
- Andy Reid (KC)
- Andy Hill (KC)
- Dave Toub (KC)
- Yasir Durant (KC)
- Blaine Gabbert (TB)
- Brad Berlin (TB) pic.twitter.com/cD5Lw1qomT
*- Blaine Gabbert is not the quarterback in question.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Mizzou Hoops is out here making moves in NET
Here's where SEC teams fall in today's NCAA NET rankings— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) February 7, 2021
9 Alabama ⬇️ 1
10 Tennessee ⬆️ 3
25 Missouri ⬆️ 8
30 Arkansas ⬆️1
31 Florida ⬆️ 2
42 LSU ⬇️ 1
64 Ole Miss ⬆️ 5
66 Auburn ⬇️ 3
73 Miss St ⬆️ 13
80 Kentucky ⬇️ 4
100 Georgia ⬇️ 1
109 USC ⬇️ 15
134 A&M ⬇️ 2
149 Vandy ⬇️ 1
- Gary Parrish at CBS Sports is really buying into the Tigers after their win against Alabama, ranking Missouri at No. 8 in his Top 25 and 1. Want a bonus? That school to the west isn’t ranked [evil devil emoji].
- Ben Frederickson at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch noted that Mitchell Smith’s signature block against Alabama underscores Missouri’s “survival skills” in the 2020-2021 season.
- #MizzouMade defensive end Shane Ray is moving north to the CFL, signing with the Toronto Argonauts.
- Rivals writers ranked Missouri as one of the five most improved teams by this year’s recruiting rankings, noting Eli Drinkwitz’s focus on keeping in-state talent at home. And at the local Rivals site, subscribers can read a recruiting profile of a new 2022 target on the offensive line.
- Robin Pingeton’s Tigers got back in the win column with an 85-75 home win over the Auburn Tigers, and sophomore Aijha Blackwell had her sixth consecutive double-double.
- #TigerStyle continues to roll. Shocker, I know.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)