Never any doubt, amiright? NEVER. A. DOUBT.
If you’ve been to a game at Mizzou Arena this year, they play a version of this song when the game gets super exciting. Here’s my version:
1... 2... Mizzou’s comin for you
3... 4... X & Dru will surely score
5...6... Kobe has got the fix
7...8...9 Arky will have to face us with Tilly this time
10.... Mizzou wins. The end.
(Yes, I realize this is not how the song goes, but I wanted to use the unintentional rhyme my dad came up with)
According to Mizzou historian Tom Orf (MU4124 on twitter), X & Dru both had 16+ points & 3 steals. The last Tigers to do that in same game? It’s a small list: 2/23/13 v. Kentucky Phil Pressey(27/4) & Alex Oriahki(16/3), and 2/2/13 Earnest Ross(23/3) & Keion Bell(23/4).
To the highlights! (And a recap from MUTigers.com)
With the win, Mizzou advances to their first SEC Tourney quarterfinal since... (checks date)... March 14, 2014. Damn.
Here’s the scores from the SEC Tournament’s Second Round:
Missouri 73, Georgia 70
Mississippi State 74, Kentucky 73
Florida 69, Vanderbilt 63
Ole Miss 76, South Carolina 59
Tomorrow’s Quarterfinal Schedule:
Alabama vs. Mississippi State, 11am
Tennessee vs. Florida, 1pm
Missouri vs. Arkansas, 6pm
LSU vs. Ole Miss, 8pm
On to the LINKS!!! Big REMATCH coming tomorrow, Tiger fans!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Aaron wrote that it’s Badie or Bust for the Tigers this season.
- Matt (with an assist from Sam) assigned some post season basketball awards.
- Josh previewed the Georgia game, saying the Tigers are looking for revenge after an earlier loss. (MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!)
- Jacob shared the Game Thread, while Kortay recapped the game!
- COMING UP: A whole boatload of content! A new Rock-M-Tology from Sammy, an Arkansas preview, and a Study Hall from Sam!
- PowerMizzou: Mitchell Forde wrote about the defensive backfield, which will feature new faces and a new philosophy under Wilks, while subscribers can check out Sean Williams’ look at an 2023 OL who has Mizzou high on his list after a recent visit.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave Matter was back with a new weekly chat, talking a lot of hoops and football.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Matter asked if Mizzou can have a lengthy stay in Nashville and Hochman wrote about how Dru Smith is the driver of the Tigers, who should roar past Georgia in SEC Tourney play. In his game recap, Matter wrote that Mizzou survived Georgia’s rally and advanced to the SEC quarterfinals.
- PowerMizzou: Check out the post game presser video, and in his post game report, Mitchell extensively recapped the game, sharing his star of the game, what it means, and room for improvement. Give it a read!
- Kansas City Star: Vahe Gregorian wrote, “Just win, baby!” The Tigers have a chance to achieve an SEC Tourney first, while Blair Kerkhoff recapped the Tigers’ second round win.
- KOMU 8: Grace Taylor recapped Mizzou’s victory over Georgia in round 2.
- Columbia Tribune: Eric Blum took readers inside the maturation process of Jeremiah Tilmon, and in his game recap, said Mizzou can exhale after the win.
- Columbia Missourian: Both Joel Lorenzi and Tyler Hollins provided recaps, writing that Mizzou hangs around despite losing second half lead, and second-half adjustments help MU limit Georgia’s Wheeler and defeat the Bulldogs.
- Saturday Down South: Keith Farner wrote that the cardiac Tigers advanced past Georgia to reach SEC Tournament quarterfinals.
- Game Previews: Mitchell Forde (PowerMizzou). Tyler Hollins (Columbia Missourian). Blair Kerkhoff (KC Star). Dave Matter (Post-Dispatch). Mason Arneson (The Maneater).
- OOOOOHHHHHH-WEEEEEE... Robin Pingeton has got a GOOOOOOOOOD one coming in. Big congrats to Izzy!
According to the @ArkActAssn record book, Isabella Higginbottom dropping 57 points today for Batesville is the most ever scored in a State Girls Basketball Tournament game.@izzymoney30 smashed a record that had stood for 37 years. pic.twitter.com/FRFh6FwNcE— Chris Hudgison (@ChrisHudgison) March 11, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports
- Here’s an interesting tidbit from Brian Smith on the success of Mizzou Wrestling:
Missouri wrestling coach Brian Smith on expectations at Nationals: "I remember one year we took 5th and had 3 guys in the finals and was getting texts, 'Man it's too bad, isn't it disappointing.' I was like, if we were any other sport at Mizzou, there'd be a ticker-tape parade."— Colin O’Brien (@cpatobrien) March 11, 2021
And this from Brock Mauller:
#Mizzou Wrestler Brock Mauller, seeded 3rd in the nation in his weight class, says his biggest obstacle to a national title is himself. The confident CoMo-native begins his quest next Thursday at NCAA's in St. Louis— Ben Arnet (@BenArnetKOMU) March 11, 2021
- Ben Miglore of the Missourian wrote, with likely inclement weather on the way, the Tigers are still hoping they will be able to get in their games this weekend.
- No. 25 Mizzou Volleyball has a big test this weekend as they take on No. 7 Florida in Gainesville. According to MUTigers.com, each of their past two meetings have gone five sets with the teams splitting the matches.
- The men’s and women’s NCAA Zone Diving Meets are currently taking place, which is used to find the entrants for the NCAA Championships later this month. While Savana Trueb JUST missed an NCAA bid on 1-meter (she placed 11th and needed to be in Top 9), Carlos Lopez punched his ticket, placing 9th in the 3-meter.
Mizzou in the Professional Ranks
- The Missourian’s Joel Lorenzi checked in on MPJ’s recent grassroots efforts and the news he’ll form his own Puma-sponsored AAU team in CoMo. He recently attended (maskless, along with most of the crowd...SIGH) his brother’s State Sectional game in Montgomery County during the All-Star break.
- Ryan Blackburn of SB Nation’s The Denver Stiffs wrote about the encouraging results of Denver’s “Big Three” — Nikola Jokic, Jamal Murray, and Michael Porter, Jr — who are learning to play together.
- Jontay has been recalled by the Memphis Grizzlies after a stint with the Memphis Hustle in the G-League where he averaged 7.4 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 1.2 blocks in 16.8 minutes per game. GO JONTAY!!!!!
Big nights from Jimmer Fredette & Marcus Denmon fueled the Sharks 6th win in last 7 matches!— CGTN Sports Scene (@CGTNSportsScene) March 11, 2021
@MizzouMonster12: 21 PTS (8-15 FG, 4-7 3P) & 6 AST off the bench
@jimmerfredette: 28 PTS & 10 REB@MDenmonElite @MizzouHoops @Del_James21 @TheJimmerWatch pic.twitter.com/dvsob6sr3Z
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (By the way, this link works fine on my iPad, which is where I write my links. I checked)
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)