Let the Championships Begin!
The non-revenue sports are heating up, so let’s check in on the status of volleyball and swimming!
No. 24 Mizzou Volleyball’s regular season will come to a close the next few days as the Tigers head to Starkville to face Mississippi State for a Wednesday-Thursday matchup. Mizzou remains undefeated against the Bulldogs, winning all 13 matchups. Each day’s matchup starts at 3pm, and will air on SEC Network+.
According to MUTigers.com, the Tigers currently rank eighth in the country this season with 1,037 team kills, while senior Kylie DeBerg continues to pace the SEC in overall kills, kills per set, points and points per set. Her 37 aces are tied for the SEC and national lead. Deberg ranks second nationally in total points and third in kills.
Moving on the Swimming & Diving! The women finished up their championships last week, coming in 18th, but now it’s the men’s turn. The Tigers are sending seven individual athletes to Greensboro Aquatic Center (NC) to the NCAA Championships. At the last championships (2019), Missouri placed 11th. The NCAAs start this evening with the 800 Free Relay and will continue through the weekend. Each session will be streamed on ESPN3. (More info at MUTigers.com)
According to MUTigers.com, Mizzou’s individual qualifiers include juniors Jack Dahlgren and Danny Kovac, who are both three-time NCAA qualifiers, as well as sophomore diver Carlo Lopez and junior Jack Dubois, who are two-time qualifiers. This will be the first NCAA meet for freshman Takuto Endo, sophomore Ben Patton, and freshman Daniel Wilson.
On to the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate (the Great) continued Part 3 of his series on Midwestern quarterbacks at Midwestern schools, this time looking at the numbers.
- Karen (that’s me) updated everyone on the status of the Rock M Nation Bracket Challenge.
- Kortay wrapped up Mizzou Baseball’s weekend in Lexington.
- Kortay covered the breaking news of Xavier Pinson’s transfer.
- PowerMizzou: After practice Tuesday, Steve Wilks met with the media. Check out the video!
- Columbia Missourian: Tyler Hollins wrote about Steve Wilks’ happiness with the defensive progress so far.
- Tiger Scholarship Fund announced an anonymous $3 million gift donation, half of which will be earmarked for the new indoor practice facility. (MUTigers.com)
- Love to see the NFL highlighting Nick Bolton’s Pro Day results:
.@MizzouFootball LB Nick Bolton (@_nickbolton2) looked the part at his Pro Day:— NFL (@NFL) March 23, 2021
- 40-yard dash: 4.59u
- Bench press: 24 reps
- @MoveTheSticks' No. 29 overall @NFLDraft prospect pic.twitter.com/J1K9H4yiT2
- XAVIER PINSON TRANSFER NEWS: Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Blair Kerkhoff (KC Star). Eric Blum (Columbia Tribune). Joel Lorenzi (Columbia Tribune). Gabe DeArmond (PowerMizzou). Mason Arneson (The Maneater).
- KIM ENGLISH COACHING NEWS: Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Blair Kerkhoff (KC Star). Joel Lorenzi (Columbia Tribune).
- PowerMizzou: Gabe provided an updated scholarship chart with the recent transfer news.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: In case you haven’t read it yet, Hochman wrote a great story on Cuonzo Martin, and how he remains to be the guy for the job at Mizzou.
- Columbia Missourian: Tyler Hollins wrote about how Missouri enters the offseason with plenty of unknowns surrounding roster. Joel Lorenzi wrote how a unique NCAA Tournament is uniting fans from each corner of the country. Tyler Hollins covered the State title wins for Mizzou commits Trevon Brazile and Anton Brookshire.
- Looking good, Sean!
- And here’s an update from another Mizzou commit, Kaleb Brown from a few weeks ago, when he participated in an all-star game. Way to go, Kaleb!
Other Mizzou Sports
- Joshua Reneau of The Maneater wrote that Missouri soccer’s offensive woes continue in 2-0 loss to Notre Dame.
- Anthony Kristensen wrote about the ending of the wrestling season, and how Missouri wrestling looks to future after their freshman stars shined bright in St. Louis.
- Redshirt freshman Mitch Weber was named SEC Men’s Newcomer of the Week after his performance in the discus at the Spring Opener. He currently ranks second in the nation with in the discus after this past weekend. (More info at MUTigers.com)
- Things are looking good for Mizzou Gymnastics in Huntsville as they get set for the NCAA Championships!
- What a play of the week! Mizzou came in at No. 4.
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)