Survive and advance!
Mizzou Volleyball gets it done! Starting off the 48-team NCAA Volleyball Tournament on Wednesday in Omaha, Nebraska — the Tigers defeated South Dakota in a three-set sweep by the score of 25-21, 25-17, and 25-15.
Senior Kylie Deberg showed up big time, leading the team with 16 kills and 10 digs.
FINAL: No. 25 #Mizzou volleyball beats South Dakota 3-0 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Kylie Deberg led the way with 16 kills and 10 digs. The Tigers will face No. 9 Ohio State in the second round tomorrow at 11 a.m.— Andrew Kauffman (@AndrewABC17) April 14, 2021
Mizzou also held South Dakota to a .126 hitting performance.
Missouri volleyball sweeps South Dakota in the first round of the NCAA Tournament 25-21, 25-17, 25-15. Tigers will play No. 9 Ohio State at 11 a.m. Thursday in the second round.— Eric Blum (@ByEricBlum) April 14, 2021
Missouri held the Coyotes to a .126 hitting percentage.
And in their seventh straight NCAA Tournament appearance, the Tigers have advanced to the following round. From the game notes, they also earned a first-round sweep for the third straight tournament.
Here’s what head coach Joshua Taylor had to say about the team’s win, via MUTigers.com.
“It required us to rely on one another and solve a tough problem together as a group. We did a pretty nice job of that. Towards the end of the match, we saw a little more consistency with addressing that early on, finding a solution to the problem we were facing, and going from there. So, I was happy with how we consistently got better.”
Here are the highlights!
It’ll sure be a quick turnaround, as Missouri will face No. 9 seed Ohio State in the Round of 32 today coming up at 11:00 a.m. CST. The game can be seen on ESPN3.
M-I-Z! Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Brandon Kiley has the latest on the Best Mizzou Duos: James Franklin & Maty Mauk took Tigers fans on a magical ride in 2013
- Josh Matejka and Sam Snelling have a Mizzou Hoops Player Review of Mitchell Smith
- From Jacob Giancola: Offseason Updates and a Look to the Future of Mizzou Hoops
- Aaron Dryden covered the latest commitment of 3-star Lebanon OL Tristan Wilson
- From Dave Matter: Mizzou’s Martin doesn’t sweat transfer trend, bullish on transfer imports
- Mizzou football in-state surge continues with Lebanon’s Tristan wilson, writes Dave Matter
- From Dave Matter: Undaunted by transfer trend, Mizzou’s Martin refreshed by rebuilt roster
- From Blair Kerkhoff: Transfer portal a new way of roster building for Missouri, college men’s basketball
- Blair Kerkhoff has the recap of Mizzou Volleyball’s NCAA Tournament opening win over South Dakota
- From Calum McAndrew on women’s golf: Tigers bottom of the pack after Round 1 in SEC Championship
- The staff has coverage on the NCAA Volleyball Tournament: Straight-sets win send Tigers to second round of NCAA Tournament
- From Joel Lorenzi: Mizzou’s Martin speaks to media about portal, prospects, and his next group
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Eric Blum writes that Cuonzo Martin is not bothered by players leaving and is happy with new additions
- From Eric Blum: Mizzou Volleyball wants to return to Sweet 16, but the team has to go through No. 9 Ohio State first
- Mizzou lands commitment from Lebanon OL Tristan Wilson, writes Eric Blum
- Torrence Watson has landed at Elon. Good luck to Torrence at his new spot!
- Hoping incoming freshman Anton Brookshire had a good birthday!
- On Rivals.com, Mike Farrell ranks Mookie Cooper at No. 2 of the top 10 impact receiver transfers in College Football
- Mizzou Women’s Basketball senior Shug Dickson has entered the transfer portal as a graduate transfer.
- More transfers as well:
A handful of Mizzou transfer portal additions last couple days:— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) April 14, 2021
* WBB guard Shug Dickson (grad transfer)
* D-lineman Z'Core Brooks
* Defensive back Aidan Harrison
* Walk-on punter Aaron Rodriguez
- Mama Dembele’s season puts her ninth in steals and 10th in assists all-time among Mizzou freshman
- Congrats to former Mizzou Women’s Basketball player Lauren Aldridge, who is now officially an attorney
- Huge news here on 247Sports as the NCAA Division 1 Council approved one-time transfer with immediate eligibility for all athletes
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)