A whole lot of everything...
After finishing in second place at a South Carolina event and in first place at the MU Tiger Invitational, the Mizzou Men’s Golf team is heading into this week’s SEC Championships with plenty of momentum.
The tournament got underway on Wednesday at the Sea Island Golf Club in Sea Island, Georgia. The competition for Missouri was always going to be tough, as eight SEC teams came in ranked in the Top 25.
On the first day of stroke play looking to advance to the match play portion on Saturday and Sunday, the Tigers are right in the thick of things.
With a team total of +6 through day one, Mizzou is tied for ninth with Texas A&M and Florida, just one stroke behind South Carolina (+5) for the final spot to advance to the eight-team match play.
Here’s how the five Mizzou golfers fared in day one:
You can follow Mizzou Golf’s performance this week with the leader-board here.
And Mizzou Softball had their final non-conference game on Wednesday vs Kansas City canceled, due to limited roster concerns with the Roos’ program.
Missouri finished with a non-conference record of 22-5. With nine games remaining in the regular season, it is all SEC series left for Mizzou — at Arkansas, vs Florida, and at Tennessee. The Tigers are currently three games back in the loss column of the SEC leading Razorbacks, setting up a huge series Saturday through Monday in Fayeteville.
Also, former Mizzou pitcher Max Scherzer passed Mike Mussina for 21st on the all-time strikeout list. Of course, Scherzer tossed six scoreless innings on Wednesday afternoon and nine strikeouts in a 1-0 win over the Cardinals.
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Matthew Harris’ latest piece focuses on Jarron Coleman, wondering if he becomes the next mid-major guard to elevate his game at Mizzou
- In the latest 2021 NFL Draft Profile, Brandon Kiley looks at Missouri Safety Joshua Bledsoe
- In his latest Q and A, Ben Frederickson discusses a 6-0 start for Mizzou Football and makes the case for Cuonzo Martin
- From Dave Matter: Who can break Mizzou’s SEC championship drought? Start with Anderson’s surging softball team
- Emily Leiker looks at where MU players land — or don’t — in popular mock drafts
- Tigers in tight tussle for SEC match-play qualification, writes Calum McAndrew
- Missouri’s softball game vs Kansas City canceled, writes Ben Miglore
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Eric Blum gives us 10 possible candidates for Mizzou’s next soccer head coach
- Rock Bridge’s Jackson commits to Mizzou football as preferred walk-on, writes Eric Blum
- Mizzou Basketball Head Coach Cuonzo Martin joined Brendan Wiese and Ben Frederickson on The Big 550 KTRS “The Big Sports Show”. Give it a listen!
- At No. 100, Mizzou basketball commit Anton Brookshire makes the final ESPN 100 rankings in the Class of 2021.
- For the third time in her career, Mizzou Volleyball senior Kylie Deberg has earned All-America honors, being named to the Second Team. More here on MUTigers.com.
- Mizzou Athletics has placed 52 student athletes on the Winter SEC Honor Roll
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Track and Field Heads to Drake Relays
- Here’s a good picture of Coach Drink and former Mizzou and STL Football Cardinals Johnny Roland and Mel Gray
- Mizzou Softball’s senior sendoffs continue with outfielder Imani Myant
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)