Put some respect on Mizzou Softball’s name!
When we talk about Mizzou Sports, there’s usually one program we turn to first when discussing success amongst the non-revenues: wrestling. However, maybe it’s time we start considering softball as one of the two best programs at Mizzou.
The same day Sam titled his Sunday morning post, “Larissa Anderson is building a special program at Mizzou,” the Tigers responded by going out and smacking top 10 Arkansas around 10-1, taking the series in Fayetteville and setting themselves up for a massive road sweep on Monday. In doing so, the Tigers moved into sole possession of third place in the SEC standings with seven games left.
As for what the win signifies? Larissa Anderson told reporters after the game that Mizzou deserves to be in the conversation with the best of the best.
Check it out: I asked #Mizzou softball (@MizzouSoftball) players and Larissa Anderson (@CoachLarissaA) what the statement for this team was after after two-straight wins over a top-ten team.— Nathalie Jones (@NathalieABC17) April 25, 2021
The consensus: "We need to be in every, single conversation." ⤵️ pic.twitter.com/ysVXMmaMDI
It’s fair to remember that Larissa Anderson took over a decent program in 2018. However, the headlines surrounding Ehren Earlywine’s exit created a series of potential pitfalls which Anderson has navigated splendidly in her first few seasons, quickly reasserting Mizzou’s place in the national hierarchy.
#Mizzou Softball Coach Larissa Anderson says the NFCA notified coaches that 20 schools will be announced as "eligible" to host a Regional on Monday. The 16 hosts will be announced on Selection Sunday from that group. Anderson expects #Mizzou will be included in the 20.— Ben Arnet (@BenArnetKOMU) April 25, 2021
There are still two weeks for the Tigers to assert themselves ahead of postseason play. As it looks now, they’re in good position to make some serious noise.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Unfortunately for Steve Bieser, the good vibes on the diamond didn’t extend to the baseball team on Sunday. The Tigers dropped their rubber match with Georgia 4-0.
- As Sam recently pointed out, it’s pretty futile trying to keep up with Cuonzo Martin and his staff on the recruiting trail. However, we can know with some certainty that the Tigers are still looking for players to fill out next year’s roster. One of them could be Ronnie DeGray...
Freshman UMass transfer Ronnie DeGray (@Ronnie_DeGray23) tells me that he has heard from the following: Mizzou, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Xavier, Cincinnati, UNLV, LSU, Penn State, + others.— jake lieberman (@jakelieberman2) April 25, 2021
Averaged 8.7 PPG and 4.6 RPG this season.
- At the Post-Dispatch, Dave Matter and Ben Frederickson considered the spring football played in the SEC West and why everyone is still playing catch up with Alabama.
- Eric Blum wrote about recently retired women’s soccer coach Bryan Blitz and how he’s remembered by those who he shared a program with over the past 25 years.
- Markell Utsey entered the transfer portal earlier in the offseason and has chosen a new destination for his final year of eligibility...
Hey, if you really can’t beat a team, just hire their old head coach and poach the players that keep handing you your ass. It’ll work. Guaranteed.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)