Tuesday was National Student Athlete Day!
It’s time to celebrate Mizzou’s athletes for their impressive accomplishments this year!
First up, Men’s Golf had quite the performance at the Mizzou Tiger Invitational, and won the whole thing. According to MUTigers.com, all five Tigers in the lineup finished in the Top-25, and their collective 839 score matches the program’s own 54-hole team score tournament record that was set in 2018.
A big win for @MizzouMensGolf on the home turf! #MIZ pic.twitter.com/qtDhGy3y1e— MizzouPix (@MizzouPix) April 6, 2021
Softball’s Jenna Laird was named SEC Freshman of the Week for her performance and SLU and South Carolina. From the SEC release:
SEC Freshman of the Week - Missouri’s Jenna Laird, a freshman shortstop from East Meadow, N.Y., batted .667 with 10 hits, seven runs scored and four RBI as the Tigers went 4-0 on the week at Saint Louis and South Carolina. In the midweek game against the Billikens, Laird went 3-for-3 with an RBI double, two runs scored, two stolen bases and a walk. In the opening game versus the Gamecocks, she posted career-highs of four hits and three runs scored and added a double and two RBI.
#SECSB Freshman of the Week: Jenna Laird— Southeastern Conference (@SEC) April 6, 2021
Full release » https://t.co/4mKWjWij33. pic.twitter.com/Y95H9LCMOM
Mizzou Gymnastics had a great season, ending with their gritty performance in the second round of the NCAA Regionals. As Josh mentioned in the links earlier this week, two individual Tigers, Hannah McCrary and Sydney Schaffer, will be representing the Tigers at the NCAA Championships next week.
Proud of our amazing Tigers today and every day #NationalStudentAthleteDay#MIZ pic.twitter.com/L0oXqz9IvC— Mizzou Gymnastics (@MizzouGym) April 6, 2021
Track salutes their seniors!
— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) April 6, 2021
@rkuhlmann83 #MIZ #Compete4Missouri pic.twitter.com/ISnRpAeB9V
And we can’t forget Robin Pingeton’s Tigers. Despite their early exit from the NIT, I can’t wait to see them play again next season. They’ve got some great recruits coming in.
Here's to our amazing student-athletes!— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) April 6, 2021
Happy #NationalStudentAthleteDay!#OurTownOurTeam pic.twitter.com/rMRHgnN7YX
On to the Links! Have a nice Wednesday! It’s supposed to be a stormy one here in CoMo.
Yesterday at Rock M
- In Part Two of Nate (the Great)’s piece on expanding The Playoff, he looked at how the sport is dying.
- In my last Bracket Challenge update, a winner was declared!
- IN CASED YOU MISSED IT: Matt wrote a phenomenal piece on Amari Davis that you need to read if you haven’t already. Hell, read it again. And Sam wrote a great piece on finding your skillset by committee that I highly suggest as well.
- COMING UP: The player reviews continue. Next up... Dru Smith!
- Hear from Coach Marcus Johnson, who was mic’d up!
️ ️Coach Marcus Johnson (@mjohnson7672, offensive line) ' ️ ️#MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/CzV1iK2Lk5— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) April 6, 2021
- Leigh Oleszczak of Fansided’s KC Kingdom wrote about five Tigers who could get selected in 2021 NFL Draft.
- Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote an in-depth piece about Amari Davis, who made a promise to himself after his older brother Lamar’s death, that he would continue his basketball career. Please read this story. It’s excellent.
- This is a cool graphic.
April 6, 2021
Top 2️⃣0️⃣ for 7️⃣ weeks in a row!#OwnIt pic.twitter.com/RQZ6LuGFKN— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) April 6, 2021
Softball continues to rise in the rankings, to no one’s surprise. Coach Larissa Anderson joined the KTGR Big Show to chat about the team’s recent performance, their amazing offense, and their upcoming schedule. Have a listen!
ICYMI: @MizzouSoftball's @CoachLarissaA joined @KTGRBigShow to discuss a sweep of the Gamecocks, her team's high-powered offense, and the road ahead this weekend against LSU.— ESPN100.5/105.1 KTGR (@KTGRsports) April 6, 2021
Listen to the conersation here: https://t.co/FybLZPTiok
Mizzou in the Pros
- MPJ scored 25 points on 11-16 shooting in the Nuggets’ convincing win over the Pistons, 134-119, who are now 15 of their last 18.
- WOW. Just wow.
In Porter’s last 15 games, his line:— Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) April 5, 2021
- Nick Kosmider of The Athletic ($$) wrote about how Michael Porter Jr. has joined elite company with his torrid shooting stretch.
- Jontay had another DNP in the Grizzlies’ win over the Heat, 124-112. Hope we get to see more Jontay action soon.
- JC scored 22 points on 6-13 shooting (2-9 from three) with 4 rebounds, 1 steal, and 3 turnovers in the Jazz’s loss to the Mavs, 103-111.
- ESPN’s Todd McShay said that Denver’s belief in Drew Lock could lead Broncos to pass on Justin Fields, according to Aric DiLalla of DenverBroncos.com.
- Max Scherzer started the Nats’ delayed opening day Tuesday afternoon, and came away with a no decision. In his 6IP, he struck out 9, but gave up 5 hits and 4 earned runs.
- Tanner Houck took the L in his first major league start from the Red Sox on Saturday. In his 5IP, he struck out 8, while giving up 6 hits and 3 runs (2 earned).
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)