So long, Buggs...
It was becoming more and more obvious toward the end of the season that all five of Mizzou basketball seniors wouldn’t return for next season, even though they had the opportunity to do so with the extra year of eligibility.
In a bit of a surprising move, sort of like Mark Smith’s departure to Kansas State, Drew Buggs has entered the transfer portal — we learned on Wednesday afternoon.
Mizzou's Drew Buggs has just entered the transfer portal, a source has told me.— jake lieberman (@jakelieberman2) April 7, 2021
Buggs becomes the sixth player on this season’s roster to enter the transfer portal and the second senior to do so.
Sam Snelling and Matthew J Harris shared their thoughts on Buggs on Twitter dot com.
If I'm being honest, I'd entertain Buggs returning to Mizzou because I think he's a smart guy who could help the young ones along a bit... but he'd probably have to accept playing way less than even this year. Maybe he wants to get closer to home and get some minutes.— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) April 7, 2021
That said, I'll still miss Buggs. He filled the role he was asked to play, meshed with team culture, etc.— Matt Harris (@MattJHarris85) April 7, 2021
It’s important to note that Buggs’ transfer doesn’t mean anything scholarship-wise, as Mizzou will still has two more spots to fill.
Moving on, a big congrats to Mizzou Volleyball senior Kylie Deberg, who was named to the SEC Volleyball’s Community Service Team. You can read more about it on MUTigers.com here.
Deberg and Mizzou Volleyball closed the regular season with a four-game winning streak and will take on South Dakota in the 48-team NCAA Volleyball Tournament next Wednesday in Omaha.
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Josh Matejka has the latest Mizzou Hoops Player Review on Dru Smith
- Best Mizzou Duos: Shane Ray and Markus Golden dominate the SEC, writes Brandon Kiley
- PODCAST: Mizzou Basketball and the Off-Season, with Sam Snelling and Matthew Harris. Give it a listen!
- Calum McAndrew writes about Mizzou redshirt sophomore golfer Ross Steelman, who dominated to win the MU Tigers Invitational
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Eric Blum writes that Mizzou basketball is riding the transfer portal carousel, which is the new normal. (you’ll need a subscription to read it though)
- Mizzou representing in downtown Dallas, Texas. You love to see it!
- Jayden Rowe, a three-star cornerback from Tulsa, Oklahoma has received an offer from Mizzou:
- Former Mizzou WR Dominic Gicinto is transferring to New Mexico State. Good luck, Dom!
- ($$) Subscription needed, but D1 Softball’s Rhiannon Potkey has some thoughts on Mizzou in the latest SEC Notebook, who come in at No. 17 in their latest Top 25 rankings!
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Tennis Faces Texas A&M and LSU to Close Regular Season
- Sean Durugordon putting in the work with the corner threes!
- Pretty cool here...former Mizzou Tight End Chase Coffman visited the football team to give them some financial advice
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)