Bring on the Tigers!
The LSU Tigers, that is. In yesterday’s SEC Softball Tournament action, LSU defeated South Carolina 7-3, setting up Missouri’s opponent for today’s SEC Quarterfinals in Tuscaloosa. The first pitch is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. CT, or 35 minutes after the first game of the day, Mississippi State and Florida.
It should be an evenly matched game based off of the national Top 25 rankings, as Missouri comes in at No. 15 and LSU at No. 16 in a lot of the same polls. Mizzou will be seeking some revenge, as LSU took two out of three in Columbia back in April, just one of three SEC series losses on the season for Missouri.
There will be plenty on the line this weekend for Mizzou, and regardless of what happens, the Tigers would seem to be in a pretty good spot to host a regional. Getting a top eight national seed potentially hosting through the Super Regionals could also be in play.
Mizzou’s RPI is currently 13th in country, while LSU sits at No. 5. “If we go on a run and we win out, I think we would put ourselves in a really good position to be in the Top 8,” Head Coach Larissa Anderson told KTGR’s Matt Michaels on the Inside Mizzou Athletics podcast.
For a full SEC Tournament preview with Michaels and Anderson, you can listen to the podcast here.
These projections have #Mizzou Softball in the 10th national seed... not far away from being able to host all the way through to the WCWS if they keep winning. Still plenty to play for at the #SEC Tournament outside of the title for MU https://t.co/UVtAVgydn4— Matt Michaels (@KTGRMatt) May 13, 2021
Onto the links! M-I-Z!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Mitch Weber, the southpaw from Minnesota, is Mizzou’s next track star, writes Dave Matter
- From Dave Matter: Drinkwitz rewards Mizzou coaches with new contracts, plus one staff promotion
- In his latest chat recap, Ben Frederickson discusses the future for Eli Drinkwitz
- Mizzou’s Marcus Johnson promoted to assistant head football coach for the Tigers, writes Blair Kerkhoff
- From Wilson Moore, Missouri O-Line Coach Johnson promoted to assistant coach
- Missouri set for tilt with LSU to open its SEC Tournament campaign, writes Ben Miglore
- From Calum McAndrew: Due to a wrist injury, women’s golfer Jessica Yuen withdraws from NCAA Regional final round, ending her college career. Tough break for Yuen.
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Potent Mizzou Softball aiming to “win it all” at SEC Tournament, writes Langston Newsome
- Here’s Mizzou’s official announcement of Marcus Johnson promoted to Assistant Head Coach and Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line. Read more here on MUTigers.com!
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Track and Field Gears Up for SEC Championships
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Baseball Travels to No. 3 Mississippi State
- On MUTigers.com, Mizzou Softball’s Kadlec Named to SEC Community Service Team
- Mizzou Baseball First Basemen Torin Montgomery has been added to the California Collegiate League this summer.
➡️ Coming to the CCL‼️— California Collegiate League (@CCL_Baseball) May 12, 2021
➡️ Missouri’s Torin Montgomery, 1B
➡️ Learn more at https://t.co/2tCtx2GlYG@PrunePackers @MizzouBaseball @SEC @torinm14 #GoPack #CCLBaseball #Mizzou #C2E Hunter Dyke / Mizzou Athletics pic.twitter.com/1602GuYRbo
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)