Mizzou gets a boost from the Selection Committee (you heard us correctly!)
Coming into Selection Sunday, the Mizzou Softball team was confident (if anxious) about its prospects for hosting its first NCAA Tournament regional since 2016. In a shockingly non-Mizzou-like twist, the team got what it wanted from the selection committee... and more.
As the top 16 seeds were revealed on Sunday evening, Mizzou was unveiled as the No. 8 seed, meaning the Tigers will host both regionals and super regionals if they can make it that far.
Missouri is hosting a regional for the first time since 2016. That means this marks the first time an NCAA regional will be played at Mizzou Stadium, which opened in 2017. The Tigers were regular hosts under former coach Ehren Earleywine, doing so for the first round of the tournament every year from 2009-16. The Tigers also hosted the super regional round every year from 2010-13.
It’s a major boon for the Tigers, who have been one of the best programs in the country all year. However, even the Tigers sterling resume only placed them at No. 12 on the most recent softball RPI rankings. Anderson told Dave Matter in the above linked story that she figured the team would fall somewhere between 10 and 12 in the final rankings.
The seeding means the Tigers will host the University of Illinois-Chicago (who they’ll open with), Iowa State and Northern Iowa in the regional round. The Tigers played Iowa State twice on the season already, splitting the season series.
Yesterday at Rock M
- It sounds like Nick Bolton is ingratiating himself well with his new team!
Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said rookie LB Nick Bolton had an interception during red-zone drills today.— Herbie Teope (@HerbieTeope) May 16, 2021
"He's Tiger tough," Reid said.
- Congrats to #MizzouMade Jayce Tingler’s Padres on their sweep of the Cardinals without the likes of Fernando Tatis Jr. and Eric Hosmer in their lineup due to COVID concerns.
- The NBA regular season is now over, meaning Michael Porter Jr. just posted one of the most efficient seasons of a 19+ PPG average in the history of the league.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)