Mizzou Softball is Good.
Like, really good. Really, really good.
As you probably already know, the Tigers shut out all three of their opponents in the Columbia Regional this past weekend, and are headed into the Super Regionals with their pitching staff, offense, and defense ON FIRE.
The amazing Mizzou Athletics photographers put together a photo essay of sorts, compiling all of the awesomeness. I HIGHLY encourage you to check it out. There are some phenomenal shots in there.
A look back over an incredible weekend from @MizzouPix!— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) May 25, 2021
Many, many, many great performances helped this team, but perhaps none was greater than catcher, Hatti Moore, who not only helped her pitching staff stay on target and full of confidence all weekend, but she also had quite the series herself. Check it out.
What a weekend for @hattilayne:— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) May 24, 2021
Batted .778/.818/.889 with 4 RBI
Walkoff Single in Game One
First career 4-hit game
Caught her first 7 inning no-hitter#OwnIt pic.twitter.com/d3SwmFDJ32
The Tigers’ defense has been stellar all season, and we’ve seen many Tigers find themselves on SportsCenter’s web gems segment, so it should come as no surprise when Kim Wert made it onto the show for her fantastic foul ball catch. Check it out!
WERT ALERT! @kimberly_wert comes in at 4️⃣ on @SportsCenter’s Top 10 Plays!#OwnIt pic.twitter.com/x2z9syTtqc— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) May 24, 2021
One more thing to gush about… I’m LOVING seeing former coaches and players from all over reach out and share their appreciation for what this team and Coach Larissa Anderson has built in CoMo. She is definitely one of the good ones, and we are so very lucky to have her at the helm.
What is so special about this experience is how it’s shared with PEOPLE; past, present and future people. When you feel a bond, you carry that bond with you no matter where life takes you. #OwnIt— Larissa Anderson (@CoachLarissaA) May 25, 2021
YOU REALLY LOVE TO SEE IT.
If our continual celebration of this fantastic team has enticed you enough to make it over to Mizzou Softball Stadium this weekend, it appears that tickets are still available! You can get an all-session pass for $25 on the berm or $35 for reserved seating, or tickets for individual sessions as well. Act fast! The weather is supposed to be nice and cool this weekend.
All-Session passes on sale now— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) May 25, 2021
https://t.co/8v2BoPtyu0#OwnIt https://t.co/E8gH0sjdKW pic.twitter.com/YnBDWtWleF
On to the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Game previews continue, and Nate the Great is back, previewing the third opponent of the 2021 season, those poor, poor SEMO Redhawks.
- Kortay wrapped up the disappointing baseball season with a recap of the series with Auburn.
- With the sudden amount of departures, Nate (the Great) provided us with a quite roster update.
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: I became Rock M’s de-facto softball beat writer, and not only attended each of Mizzou’s Regionals match ups (and have the muddy sneakers and sunburn to prove it), but I also wrote about them extensively: recap of win over Illinois- Chicago, recap of win over Northern Iowa, and win over Iowa State with quotes from Coach Anderson and her players.
- COMING UP: The “Team Texas” running back is awarded, and we’ll have a new BTBS pod for your ear holes.
- It’s Transfermania at Mizzou, and you can read about the departures of Chris Mills and Jalen Knox from any number of sources: Eric Blum (Columbia Tribune). Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Dave Matter conducted a great Q & A with L’Damian Washington, as he heads out to start his collegiate coaching career at Southern University. LOVE that guy and his passion for Mizzou.
- Nice new wheels for Coach Drink!
⚫️ @CoachDrinkwitz pic.twitter.com/Li7hoq4r4N— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) May 26, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports
- A week after finishing the higher than any Missouri golfer in the NCAA Regionals in 7 years, Ross Steelman is taking his talents to Atlanta, where he will attend Georgia Tech, according to this piece by Owen Krucoff.
- Emma Eaton wrote about the ending of Bronte Murgett’s season after three consecutive losses to Auburn’s Selin Ovuc in the second round of the NCAA Singles Tournament.
- Congrats to Mizzou Soccer’s Morcquess Oliphant, who was named to the SEC Community Service Team for her volunteer work with Adventure Club and at an urgent care center, according to this article by Anthony Kristensen.
- Welcome, Nicole! Mizzou Volleyball announced the addition of Maryland transfer Nicole Alford to the roster. From Owen Krucoff’s story:
“Alford, a grad transfer who played one season at Georgia Tech before three at Maryland, had six matches with 50 assists or more as a Terrapin. She also had 12 assist-dig double-doubles for Maryland, one of the more unheralded programs in the loaded Big Ten Conference.”
Mizzou in the Pros
- Stats from Sunday and Monday’s NBA playoff games:
Jordan Clarkson: 30 minutes, 14 points on 5-16 shooting (0-8 from three), 4-4 FT, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, -1. Next Game: Wed, 9pm on TNT
Michael Porter, Jr: 33 minutes, 18 points on 5-13 shooting (3-6 from three), 5-5 FT, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, +17 (2nd highest on team). Next Game: Thurs, 9:30pm on NBA TV)
- In a very good read, Quentin Albertie of SLAM Magazine went in-depth on the evolution of Michael Porter, Jr, and how his best is yet to come. Very good read on the second runner-up for the league’s Most Improved Player.
- Jordan Clarkson, the only player in the NBA to come off the bench and score 40 in a game this season, won the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year award, according to this post by the Missourian’s Tim Reynolds.
- The Associated Press wrote about Drew Lock and Teddy Bridgewater, who are set to kick off the Broncos’ latest QB competition.
- Congrats to the newest Texan, Damon Hazelton!
#NewZou #WeAreTexans— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) May 25, 2021
@dahazeltonjr | @HoustonTexans
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)