You lose some, you win some?
The transfer portal giveth. The transfer portal taketh away. The transfer portal bringeth second chances?
Obviously, the transfer portal story has been much bigger on the basketball side of things these days, but football hasn’t been immune either. Mizzou has had its own share of losses via the portal, and the Tigers have been in the hunt for a number of big names in their own right. One of those was former Ohio State wide receiver Jameson Williams, who many figured may give Mizzou a shot after the recent commitment of Mookie Cooper. However, the former blue chipper out of Cardinal Ritter got a call from the champs, and that can be a pretty hard call to turn down.
BREAKING: Jameson Williams tells me that he has officially transferred to Alabama.— Hayes Fawcett (@Hayesfawcett3) May 3, 2021
The former OSU WR was ranked as a Top 85 player in the class of 2019
Williams holds the Missouri state high school record in the 300-meter hurdles, which was previously held by Ezekiel Elliott. pic.twitter.com/T5LVf3a3Gl
Williams has big talent, and Nick Saban clearly had his eye out. It’s a tough blow for Missouri to not bring in another talented WR to their already impressive pool, but it’s hard to be too mad at the staff for losing out to the country’s greatest recruiting machine.
That being said, there’s room to make up ground. After all, another former St. Louis area star hit the transfer portal on Monday...
After previously announcing his intentions, 2020 5-star WR Jordan Johnson has officially entered the transfer portal; Johnson played in two games during his true freshman season at Notre Dame @rivalsmike @Rivals_Singer https://t.co/fZ6DgNoJlB— NCAA Transfer Portal (@RivalsPortal) May 3, 2021
Johnson was, according to Rivals, the number one recruit out of Missouri in the 2020 class, a beast of a receiver who mostly stayed on the sidelines during Notre Dame’s CFP year.
We’ll see how big the list of suitors is for Johnson. He’s clearly got the talent to be a game-breaker at the Power 5 level, but he’ll leave Notre Dame having never recorded a catch. Certainly a talent of that level could make a difference at Mizzou.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nick Bolton obviously has a lot of fans around Missouri (in Columbia and now Kansas City), but he’s also got a fan in NFL Network’s Lance Zierlein, who praised Bolton’s intelligence in a video breakdown he posted to Twitter.
- Dave Matter and Ben Frederickson at the St. Louis Post Dispatch discussed how Mizzou’s draft day went and what the Broncos’ latest QB shakeup means for Drew Lock in their Eye on the Tigers podcast.
- Speaking of Mizzou guys in the NFL, shouts to DeMarkus Acy, who signed a one-year deal with the Steelers late on Monday!
- Over at the Kansas City Star, Blair Kerkhoff also discussed Nick Bolton’s addition to the Chiefs’ roster in his SportsBeat KC podcast.
- Get a load of this sweetness!
- Another Mizzou Hoops target in the transfer portal is committing Wednesday, per his Twitter. DeGray has heard from Arkansas, Vanderbilt, LSU and a handful of other non-SEC schools since he announced his entrance into the portal.
Committing Wednesday— Ronnie ”RD3” DeGray III❄️ (@Ronnie_DeGray23) May 3, 2021
- Skylah Thomas is bringing her talents from Old Dominion to Mizzou, and her highlight reel posted by Mizzou is silly.
- Mizzou Baseball’s Tuesday match up with SEMO has been cancelled and won’t be rescheduled according to the athletic department’s website.
- Burying this here because I don’t want to talk about it.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)