It was a busy day for the Mizzou Football Head Coach. Not only did he secure a commitment from a second Tulsa cornerback transfer (while at a Royals game), but he also made an appearance on the St. Louis radio airwaves on Wednesday, joining Frank Cusumano on 590 The Fan’s Hollywood Casino Press Box. A fun conversation included Drinkwitz discussing recruiting against blue-blood programs, his coaching staff filled with NFL experience, how the newcomers (specifically Mookie Cooper, Dominic Lovett, and Tyler Macon) are progressing in practice, and the importance of attendance.
Here’s an awesome recruiting quote from Drinkwitz:
“We’re not going to take a back seat to anybody.....the ability to achieve your dreams is right here at Missouri. You also have the ability, instead of going being the next, you have the chance to go be the first, and really set your legacy as one of the greats to ever come play at the University of Missouri. When you talk about offering all of that, why do you go choose the next when you can be the first here?”
On building the coaching staff with NFL experience:
“I think it should give our fans a lot of confidence that we’re doing the very best with what we have....and it should give our recruits a lot of confidence that we’re going to put them in a position to be successful.”
And here are a couple of more good quotes from Drinkwitz’s interview, in a thread via 590 The Fan’s producer Matt Rocchio.
"You try to use rules to your favor. the NCAA change rules regarding unofficial visits 5 years ago...Part of our housing search, we tried to see what we could find within a mile of campus." - Mizzou HC @CoachDrinkwitz on taking advantage of rules— Matt Rocchio (@Rocc590) June 16, 2021
Good stuff (as always) from Drink. You can listen to the full interview segment here on 590 The Fan.
And from the NBA Playoffs: In a pivotal Game 5 against the Los Angeles Clippers, Jordan Clarkson showed why he was named the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year. He scored 15 points of the team’s 17 bench points with three rebounds and a +5 on the floor, but in a Jazz 119-111 loss, as Utah is one loss away from elimination. Game 6 is Friday night in Los Angeles, 9:00 p.m. CT on ESPN.
Meanwhile, in WNBA action, Sophie Cunningham got her first start of the year for the Phoenix Mercury against the Los Angeles Sparks, scoring 16 points - a season high - with two rebounds and three assists in a tough 85-80 loss.
Here are a couple of Sophie highlights:
SOPHI3 ☔️@sophaller x #4TheValley pic.twitter.com/mWob0Wf1kD— Phoenix Mercury (@PhoenixMercury) June 17, 2021
.@sophaller's got 10 pic.twitter.com/NnZLiVD09x— Phoenix Mercury (@PhoenixMercury) June 17, 2021
Onto the links, with plenty more coverage and reaction to come of Allie Green IV’s commitment. M-I-Z!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Team Texas Offensive Lineman: Mitch Morse, from Brandon Kiley
- BREAKING: Allie Green IV Transfers to Missouri, writes Nate Edwards
- Tulsa times two: Mizzou lands Allie Green IV, another Golden Hurricane transfer, writes Dave Matter
- From Briar Napier: Mizzou’s Eliah Drinkwitz gets commitment from coveted transfer while at Royals game
- From Calum McAndrew: Missouri lands second Tulsa cornerback in five days
- Missouri native Golan sets out as second coach in MU soccer history, writes Anthony Kristensen
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- From Eric Blum: Before leading Tennessee to the College World Series, coach Tony Vitello grew baseball reputation at Mizzou
- Brandon Kiley puts it perfectly here:
#Mizzou’s weakest position has become a strength in the span of a week. Eli Drinkwitz is a damn wizard.— Brandon Kiley (@BKSportsTalk) June 16, 2021
- Big time Mizzou target, a 4-star cornerback from Lutheran North Toriano Pride will be announcing his decision on Friday. The favorite looks to be Clemson (but still though, stay tuned...)
Commitment Friday.— tori (@toriano2x) June 16, 2021
- September 4th vs Central Michigan will be here soon!
8⃣0⃣ D A Y S— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) June 16, 2021
text NewZou to 83200
1-800-CAT-PAWS#MIZ x #NewZou pic.twitter.com/i27qaFv0Ri
- Mizzou Volleyball season tickets are on sale now!
szn is just around the corner— Mizzou Volleyball (@MizzouVB) June 16, 2021
Be there for every point and help create that Mizzou Magic in Hearnes #MIZ
- A couple of Mizzou Basketball recruiting notes: Jalen Hooks (2023 four-star SF from Indianapolis) is visiting, and Missouri is in contact with Chase Clemons (2023 PG from Atlanta).
June 16, 2021
Clemmons has now been contacted by Missouri and Boston College.— Travis Branham (@TravisBranham_) June 16, 2021
He also begins an unofficial visit to Georgetown today. https://t.co/DgnRFk5xKc
- Some pictures from Jalen Hooks’ visit!
Great unofficial visit today ! 573 #notcommitted pic.twitter.com/yVPEuy1wd5— jalen hooks (@jhooks1414) June 16, 2021
- Wednesday was COMO’s 200th birthday!
Happy 200th birthday to Columbia! An interactive Family Fun Fest to celebrate Columbia's bicentennial will take place from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday night at Cosmo Park. https://t.co/mvIS4uxJqc— KOMU 8 News (@KOMUnews) June 16, 2021
- A huge congrats to the Mizzou Softball team, posting an in-season record with a GPA of 3.38!
Owned it on the diamond and in the classroom!— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) June 15, 2021
In-season record 3.38 team GPA!#OwnIt pic.twitter.com/B2snv6fYU9
- Good stuff from Mizzou Baseball catcher, ranking fourth in the Costal Plain League with a .444 batting average!
That guy @Tre10__ is lighting it up to start the summer— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) June 16, 2021
His .444 batting average ranks 4th in the CPL among hitters with 20+ AB #C2E ⚾ pic.twitter.com/unA3zmqpdA
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)