It’s official: Karissa Schweizer is an Olympian!
Just yesterday morning, we were anxiously anticipating the results of an Olympic trial race that would confirm whether or not Karissa Schweizer is still the GOAT.
The results are in and it’s confirmed: Schweizer is still GOATed after clinching a spot on Team USA.
Schweizer, 25, led the field for portions of the race in Eugene, Oregon, but was passed by Bowerman Track Club teammate and eventual winner Elise Cranny with about 200 meters left on the final lap. The top three finishers all qualified for the Olympics: Cranny (15 minutes, 27.81 seconds), Schweizer (15:28.11) and Rachel Schneider (15:29.56).
OK, fine, so she didn’t win. Who cares? She’s winning gold in Tokyo and that’s all that matters.
Here’s the tight finish in which Schweizer ceded the lead to her running club teammate, Elise Cranny.
In 94 DEGREE HEAT, Elise Cranny wins the women's 5000m.— #TokyoOlympics (@NBCOlympics) June 22, 2021
Karissa Schweizer and Rachel Schneider will join her at the #TokyoOlympics this summer.@usatf | #TrackFieldTrials21 x #TokyoOlympics pic.twitter.com/hWySvvNvSG
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which Nate Edwards spoon feeds us football vegetables, AGAIN
- In which I write about how much Shane Ray ruled at Mizzou
- The big story of the day is obviously the SCOTUS case that ruled the NCAA cannot withhold “modest payments” to student athletes.
While this is a relatively narrow verdict, it opens the floodgates for future cases to be brought against amateurism as a model for the NCAA... which may mean the end of amateurism as it exists.
There are no direct impacts on Mizzou that we know of, but Jim Sterk did release a statement saying the department is adapting to the new landscape as best as it can.
- The former-Tulsa corners are in Columbia and giving off good vibes
My birthday is tomorrow and I get to spend it working out at Mizzou ❤️— Akayleb Evans (@AkaylebEvans) June 21, 2021
Happy birthday, Akayleb! And welcome, Allie!
- Sophie Cunningham knows her role as an energy infuser for the Phoenix Mercury, and she isn’t apologizing for it.
- The newcomers are all present for the men’s basketball team, and the first footage of practice has me HYPED.
Maybe the new guys can talk to Aiden Shaw about why they chose Mizzou?
- A Thames kid playing hoops at the University of Missouri? What could go wrong?
- All the summer college baseball leagues are in full swing, and Mizzou Baseball has a helpful little compendium of stats for returning Tigers who are scattered across the country.
- Mizzou’s Arianna Fisher won’t be joining Karissa Schweizer at the coming Olympics, but she did use the opportunity to retake her school record in the triple jump. Congrats on a great run, Arianna! None of doubt that you’ll be back.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)