Tigers headed to Ames!
More additions to Mizzou Basketball’s non-conference schedule have been announced as the pairings for the Big 12/SEC Challenge were released on Wednesday. The challenge will take place on Saturday, January 29th — and it’s a familiar foe.
Missouri has drawn Iowa State on the road, and it’s the third time that the Tigers and Cyclones will meet in the Cuonzo Martin era. Perhaps the rubber game of the home-and-home in 2017 and 2018, if you will.
Here are the rest of the games for the challenge, according to the league:
According to the press release, all teams competing in this upcoming challenge will also participate in the 2023 season. The Tigers have a 2-2 record so far in this event.
After an abysmal 2-22 season, Iowa State begins a new era next season with former UNLV coach T.J. Otzelberger at the helm.
With this addition of the schedule, Mizzou currently has SIX non-conference games away from Mizzou Arena, which includes two games in the Jacksonville Classic (SMU and Florida State or Loyola Marymount) the Border War in Lawrence, Braggin’ Rights, at Liberty and Iowa State. The non-con SOS (as usual under Cuonzo) shouldn’t be a problem this upcoming season.
And according to Rocco Miller, Missouri will host Wichita State on Friday, November 26th. Another game (Eastern Illinois) has been added on Tuesday, December 7th.
Schedule updates at #Mizzou:— Rocco Miller (@roccomiller8) June 23, 2021
- Wichita State will visit on Nov. 26. This is year two of the four-year series.
- Eastern Illinois, now coached by Marty Simmons, will visit Columbia on December 7th.
- No official date still for Braggin' Rights game vs. Illinois.#SECHoops
Also, the road game at Liberty is set for December 2nd.
Dec. 2 at Liberty. Cheers, Matt.— Rocco Miller (@roccomiller8) June 23, 2021
For more info on Mizzou’s non-conference schedule, check out Rocco Miller’s The Bracketeer.
And here’s some HUGE (and surprising) news for the Mizzou Softball team. Senior catcher Hatti Moore who had 17 home runs and 50 RBI has announced that she is returning next year for one more season. Here’s her announcement via Twitter:
Moore joins Cayla Kessinger, Brooke Wilmes, and Kim Wert in returning next season. Safe to say that expectations will be HIGH for Larissa Anderson’s squad. Yeah, they’re ready to “Own It”.
Onto the links. M-I-Z!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Dave Matter writes that Mizzou is finally matched with a familiar foe in the Big 12/SEC Challenge
- Brian Napier writes on Missouri Basketball’s non-conference slate taking shape with the Big 12/SEC matchup of Iowa State
- From Nate Marcus: Missouri will play Iowa State in the Big 12/SEC basketball challenge
- Missouri Softball’s Moore to use extra year of eligibility, writes Anthony Kristensen
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- Congrats to Danario Alexander, who made Bill Connelly’s list of College Football’s 50 greatest wide receivers in the last 50 years at No. 41.
- Mac Markway, a 4-star 2023 Tight End from DeSmet High School was on a visit to Mizzou yesterday:
Headed to visit the home state U this afternoon— Mac Markway (@mac_markway) June 23, 2021
- Also visiting was Logan Reichert, a 2023 4-star offensive tackle from Raytown. Good pic!
- Cuonzo Martin golfing out in St. Louis!
- Cool story from former Mizzou Swimmer Michael Chadwick. Give the thread a read, awesome stuff.
Olympic Trials were not what I had hoped for, and that’s okay. It’s been a long couple years and I know that I did absolutely everything I could to prepare. Instead of dwelling on what could have been, I’d like to share a story: pic.twitter.com/Mmd8WKGu4v— Michael Chadwick (@mchad95) June 24, 2021
- From CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd: NCAA waiver to effectively allow name, image, and likeness rights for athletes near completion
- Here’s some good information from The Athletic’s Nicole Aurebach:
Memo from NCAA president Mark Emmert to administrators in all three Divisions (obtained by @TheAthletic) post-Alston says he is pushing for temporary guidance that will allow all athletes to monetize NIL as of July 1, as a bridge until there’s federal legislation: pic.twitter.com/bqDW7qLkcL— Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) June 23, 2021
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)