Guess Who’s Back?
Back again. Cayla’s back. Tell a friend.
Yes, I realize this is not the first time I’ve used this song lyric to share some news, but I’ve been busy these last couple weeks, and whenever it’s announced that someone big is coming back, this is immediately where my mind goes.
I’m sure you heard it already, but CAYLA KESSINGER IS BACK, Y’ALL! After much deliberation in the last couple weeks after Mizzou’s season ended in heartbreaking fashion, she’s decided to return for a SUPER super senior year. Love her hashtag! (It will be her 6th year)
Cayla, in case you’ve forgotten already, was the STAR of Game 2 of the Super Regionals, helping to force the Game Three battle when she launched two of the Tigers’ three homers in that game. On the season, she was an integral part of the squad.
Kessinger missed only one game this season for the Tigers and started the other 58. She batted .327, hitting 14 home runs with 34 RBIs.
She posted a .429 batting average, six homers, 32 RBIs and a .532 on-base percentage in 2020, and last April, Kessinger was selected as a second-team All-American by Softball America. She ended the abbreviated 2020 season on a 15-game hitting streak.
WELCOME BACK, CAYLA!!
Side Note: The pitching performance by JMU’s Odicci Alexander cannot go unmentioned. We definitely tip our caps to the RS-Senior, who out-dueled Mizzou’s staff and gave it everything she had in the WCWS. She pitched in every single game of the post-season, throwing 1,057 pitches.
Onto the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Game previews continue, and Nate the Great is previewing Tennessee. It’s quite funny in parts; please give it a read.
- COMING UP: The “Team Texas” TE is awarded.
- In the new Eye on the Tigers podcast, Matter and BenFred take a look at the football schedule and select what they think will be the most important games. Have a listen!
- Sounds good to me!
Mizzou commit @isaacthompson__ just informed me he has cancelled his official visit to Illinois this weekend.— Luke Lowry (@IlliniPulseLuke) June 8, 2021
- It’s Official Visit SZN! And with that comes excellent food.
- Here’s a new look at Coach Pingeton’s crew!
- It’s team photo/video time for Cuonzo’s squad!
- Mizzou makes its official return to The Phog this December. To say I’m excited about this rivalry actually getting a DATE for a restart is an understatement. The first game was slated to begin last season but…stupid COVID. Mizzou and kU will alternate hosting duties the first 4 years, and will play two neutral site games to finish off the 6-game series.
- CROOTIN’ UPDATES: Jerry Meyer posted a scouting report on major Mizzou target, Mark Mitchell, who is visiting this month. Check it out at 247. He does not list Mizzou as the strongest lean, beware. 2023 target Jeremy Fears posted pics from his unofficial.
Other Mizzou Sports
- Mizzou Track & Field’s triple jumper, Arianna Fischer, gets to head home to the west coast and perform in front of family and friends in the NCAA Outdoor Championships, which starts today in Eugene. According to Eric Blum, Fischer is really excited about the prospect, saying:
“I’m just really excited to see them. I’m excited for them to be able to see me compete and do what I love,” Fisher said. “I have a huge family. ... They’re my biggest support system. They support me and everything I do on and off the track. And I know no matter what happens, they’re going to be proud of me that I even made it this far.”
- Mizzou Track & Field thrower and Jeff City native, Devin Roberson, has entered the transfer portal, according to the Missourian’s Joel Boenitz. Best wishes to him.
- Welcome, Coach! According to Dave Matter’s article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Mizzou Baseball has hired St. Louis native, Brian DeLunas, who most recently was special projects instructor in the Mets organization. Previously, DeLunas was a bullpen coach for the Seattle Mariners and spent two years there as the directors of pitching development and strategies. AND was previously on Mizzou’s staff when they developed some MLBers like Aaron Crow, Kyle Gibson, and the one, the only… MIGHTY MAD MAX SCHERZER.
- Love this from Coach Anderson!
There are little eyes upon you— Larissa Anderson (@CoachLarissaA) June 8, 2021
And they’re watching night and day;
There are little ears that quickly
Take in every word you say;
There are little hands all eager
To do anything you do;
And a little girl who’s dreaming
Of the day she’ll be like you. #OwnIt pic.twitter.com/4Ngf5exZzM
Mizzou in the NBA/WNBA
- The Phoenix Mercury lost a hard-fought battle to the Dallas Wings on Tuesday night, 85-81. Sophie played 7 minutes, scoring 2 points on 1-2 shooting (0-1 from three) with 1 assist and a —2 +/- rating.
- JC took to the court against the Clippers in Game One of the second round. In a really exciting game, the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year and Quin Snyder’s Jazz eked out a win, 112-109. In his 28 minutes, Jordan had 18 points on 6-18 shooting (6-14 from three), with 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, and a +0 +/- rating. Way to go, Jazz! Next Game: Thurs at 9pm on ESPN
- Here’s something that will send a cold chill through your body… Michael Porter Jr is having back issues. BIG YIKES. From the Denver Post’s Mike Singer on his readiness for Game 2:
Nuggets injury report for Game 2:— Mike Singer (@msinger) June 9, 2021
Will Barton (hamstring) has been upgraded to doubtful.
MPJ (back) is questionable with lower back tightness.
P.J. Dozier (adductor) is still out.
- Wrapping up Monday night’s game, as Josh - an east coaster - understandably didn’t want to stay up til the very end for his Links… the Nuggets lost Game 1 to the Suns, 105-122. Denver went on a run in the third quarter and were up by as much as 12 at one point early on in the quarter, but after what seemed like only a minute later, they were down. And stayed down. As mentioned above, MPJ tweaked his back and didn’t play the fourth quarter. In his 31 minutes, he scored 15 points on 6-13 shooting (3-8 from three), 7 rebounds, 2 assists, and more 3 PF, for a — 8 +/- rating. As for Tigers-adjacent Devin Booker, he had 21 points in 38 minutes on 8-12 shooting (1-4 from three). Next Game: Weds at 8:30 on TNT
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)