“You Win in the Trenches”
Coach Drinkwitz went on The Paul Finebaum Show on Tuesday afternoon to talk with guest host Tom Hart about all sorts of topics, including how to retain the guys you want, what he learned his first season in the SEC, his approach to the upcoming SEC Media Days, and his thoughts on his the SEC coaches.
Let’s check out some highlights, shall we?
On Recent Recruiting Wins
“We’re having a great summer here at Mizzou. We were able to get some big-time players in the transfer portal. The most exciting thing has been being able to add some players to our team for this coming season. That’s the cool thing about this immediate eligibility.”
On Building a Program & Keeping the Guys You Want
“You have to be genuine and authentic in who you are, and I think we’ve done a very nice job job of being who we are. I am who I am. I’m not for everyone. We have a winning standard that we are going to hold everyone to it. That’s what our culture is.”
On What He Learned Last Season
“We all learned resiliency- to stay the course and continue to fight. The second thing that was confirmed to me is this is a trench league, which I thought it was coming in. You are only going to be as good as your offensive line and defensive line. The games we struggled in last year were at the line of scrimmage.”
"Quarterbacks are sexy & fun, but you gotta win in the trenches in this league and that was reiterated to us in a big way." -@CoachDrinkwitz on his first year in the SEC— Paul Finebaum (@finebaum) July 13, 2021
On His First SEC Media Days
“I’m going to call Gus (Malzahn) first and ask him how to do it. I don’t know what to expect or anticipate. There will be a fine line between underselling and overdelivering because you need to hype up your program as well but I’m old school.”
On Meeting the Other Coaches:
“I got one opportunity to meet them in person and see them around the table… it’s pretty interesting. There’s still guys that don’t turn their cameras on during the Zoom meetings, and that kinda surprised me a little bit. And I was thinking that if you were the head coach and having a team meeting that you wouldn’t be okay with your players not having the zoom camera on… that surprised me a little bit.”
You can listen to the 13 minute interview here. Drink is such an interesting dude, so this is well worth your time if you missed it on the SEC Network.
Onto the Links!
Keep your fingers crossed for me, y’all. I’m hoping I’ll hear something about that interview this week…
Yesterday at Rock M
- Welcome, Jalen Marshall! Nate (the Great) broke the news of the KC native’s signing.
- Nate ALSO continued his game previews. Next up? That other Columbia team.
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Sam wrote a wonderful two-part piece on the recruiting and fan support conundrum in Mizzou Hoops that you should check out if you haven’t. Here are the links to Part One and Part Two.
- COMING UP: The final week of our dream team selections continue with the Team USA Specialist, BK’s got a new recruiting reset, and a new episode of Dive Cuts drops today!
- Governor Parsons officially signed off on Missouri’s NIL bill, as reported by Wilson Moore of the Missourian, making MO the 27th state to pass some sort of NIL legislation.
- According to the KC Star’s Briar Napier, who wrote about the bill, which will go into effect on August 28:
“Under the new law, athletes must disclose to schools the terms of any agreements with sponsors before they receive compensation. This caveat is intended to prevent student-athletes from entering deals that conflict with school policy, though individual boosters can arrange individual NIL deals with student-athletes — a feature of Missouri’s NIL law that differs from other states’. Colleges in Missouri must also provide financial-development programs for their athletes at least once per year.”
- From Jim Sterk:
- Local reporting on the Jalen Marshall signing: Wilson Moore (Missourian). Briar Napier (Kansas City Star).
- Kyle Jones of Trumans Tales asked what we should expect from Mizzou Football this season.
- LOVE TO SEE IT!!!!
- Let’s check in on how Hoops’ newest commit Christian Jones did in the EYBL Peach Jam:
- A new Mizzou Hoops recruiting name to monitor:
Green's a multifaceted wing out of Omaha. Saw him earlier this spring and really loved what I saw. Can space the floor. Can post up smaller guards. Really like this offer. https://t.co/5wLac4TVKh— Matt Harris (@MattJHarris85) July 14, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports/News
- Trumans Tales’ Kyle Jones continued his “Summer of Swat” series, taking a look at how Mizzou’s baseball players are doing with their summer league teams.
- Love this from Dr. Scotta Morton— she’s a great follow on Twitter, by the way:
Fear often drives us to having to be the best. Love empowers us to be OUR BEST.— Dr. Scotta Morton (@Scotta_Lyn) July 14, 2021
Greatness isn’t just for the chosen few. We were never meant to go it alone.
Greatness is available to everybody. We need each other to bring out our best selves.
Mizzou in the Pros
- Congrats to Jordan Chavis on her professional contract in Germany with the Eintracht Braunschweig Lionpride! You can read more about it on MUTigers.com.
- Congrats to Jordan Clarkson, who was named Bleacher Report Kicks’ Fit King. He’s quite the NBA fashion icon, and has a very unique sense of style.
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)