It’s Mizzou’s SEC Media Day!
Eli Drinkwitz will be taking the podium for his SEC Media Days debut as the first of three coaches coming up this morning in Hoover, Alabama. Senior defensive lineman Akial Byers and senior offensive lineman Case Cook will be the only two players attending. To get you ready for that, it was a Mizzou-loaded show on Wednesday night’s The Big 550 KTRS’ Big Sports Show with Brendan Wiese. The guest lineup featured SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey, a roundtable discussion with Dave Matter and Ben Frederickson, plus SEC Network’s Cole Cubelic and Peter Burns. Here’s some highlights from the interviews:
From Greg Sankey (on a potential 12-team playoff expansion)
“I think four teams in a playoff has worked, is working, and can continue to work. That’s my view from a personal standpoint but it’s my responsibility of looking what’s out there.”
From Cole Cubelic (on his excitement for Drinkwitz at SEC Media Days and Mizzou’s season outlook)
“I think it’s going to be fun. I keep telling people, Eli is the one that is probably going to steal the show.
“I think that they have a chance to have a little bit better of the season that people are projecting.”
From Peter Burns, who had Drinkwitz at No. 1 in his pre-SEC Media Days Power Rankings:
“I just felt like there was so much of this genuine, breath of fresh air about him. A lot of people have never had the opportunity to hear him speak, and I think he ends up being a star this week.”
And from Matter and BenFred’s roundtable discussion (on what should be considered a successful season for Mizzou)
DM: “You got to beat one of those teams that handled you last year.....You got to make some statements there that you’re not just going to be pushed around by the better teams on your schedule.”
BF: “Get a bowl win.....If Drinkwitz can get there and win one, I think that would be a big step in the right direction.”
Also, senior running back Tyler Badie on Wednesday was named to the Doak Walker Award Watch List for the nation’s top college running back. Badie joins Trajan Jeffcoat (Bednarik) and Connor Bazelak (Davey O’Brien) for Mizzou players added to watch lists this week. For more information, check out the press release over at MUTigers.com.
M-I-Z! Onto the links...
Yesterday at Rock M
- Here is our new beat writer Parker Gillam’s first story as he compares Mizzou’s incoming freshman running backs to past Tiger stars
- From Ben Frederickson: Second Saturday in September looms large for both Mizzou and Kentucky
- In Ben Frederickson’s latest chat, he gives his SEC East prediction, Mizzou’s chances of beating Florida, and if Mizzou basketball will use their last scholarship spot
- Former Mizzou OC Heupel welcomes challenge to revive Rocky Top, writes Dave Matter
- On the latest Eye on the Tigers, Dave Matter and Ben Frederickson give their SEC East predicitions.
- Oklahoma, Texas reportedly in talks to leave Big 12 for SEC, writes Dave Matter
- Report says Texas, Oklahoma are talking about jumping from Big 12 to the SEC. Blair Kerkhoff wonders...Why now?
- Saban’s longevity the talk of third day of SEC Media Days, writes Calum McAndrew
- From Anthony Kristensen: MU tennis adds transfer Martinez
- First reported Brent Zwerneman from the Houston Chronicle: Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to the SEC about joining the conference.
- Jimbo Fisher when asked about the Texas/Oklahoma SEC report:
Jimbo Fisher asked about Houston Chronicle report that Texas & Oklahoma are inquiring about joining the SEC: "I bet they would."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) July 21, 2021
- From Kirk Bohls:
I'm told Texas A&M and Missouri would be a hard no. Only 2 more needed to block an invitation to Texas, OU.— Kirk Bohls (@kbohls) July 21, 2021
Today has been a very good example of why the people arguing #Mizzou would be “better off in the Big 12” for any reason were, well, flat out wrong. If Texas and Oklahoma bolt ….— Ben Frederickson (@Ben_Fred) July 21, 2021
- Oh, really?
Heard from a reliable source tonight that #Mizzou coach Eli Drinkwitz sent today’s news about potential SEC expansion to recruits he’s battling Oklahoma and Texas to land. The message? See, even the Longhorns and Sooners want to play in the SEC.— Ben Frederickson (@Ben_Fred) July 22, 2021
- Guess who’s back in COMO?!?!
- Mizzou Wrestling has released their home opponents for the 2021-2022 season. Should be a fun slate!
You're not going to want to miss this pic.twitter.com/9pGCnWn8vQ— Mizzou Wrestling (@MizzouWrestling) July 21, 2021
- Some good pics here of Mizzou Basketball’s practice.
- Mizzou commit Marquis Gracial will be visiting Alabama on July 31st
- On their way to Hoover!
- And meeting with the media!
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)