Deshawn Woods: Converted Husker
In case you hadn’t heard, it was a big weekend for recruiting at Mizzou. To recap:
- Eli Drinkwitz reeled in the top running back in Texas on Friday, securing the commitment of 4-star Tavorus Jones.
- That same evening, Cuonzo Martin locked down up-and-coming 2022 prospect Christian Jones out of East St. Louis. Jones, much like 2021 signee Trevon Brazile, is starting to get attention from much of the Power 5, but the point guard will be staying local.
- Drink continued his heater on Saturday, getting a commitment from the No. 1 player out of Nebraska, offensive lineman Deshawn Woods. It was, quite literally, unprecedented in the recent history of Mizzou Football recruiting.
Speaking to Starcade Media after his announcement, Woods spoke on his commitment in a little more detail. Mizzou fans will be particularly happy with a few of his answers.
Starcade: You’re an Omaha guy, many saw you as a Husker or even a Sun Devil, was playing in the SEC important to you?
Woods: I actually wanted to go to Nebraska my whole life because of my head coach for years. But not playing at a D1 College is important to me but the SEC does bring more opportunities to the table.
Talk about a dagger for Husker fans. Woods also spoke about recruiting others to Mizzou (he’s planning on it), building a brand with the new NIL rules (he’s excited about the potential) and his unique relationship with Drinkwitz.
Woods: Our relationship is like those two best friends who have nothing in common but it works for them and only them. Those real moments, yeah OUR RELATIONSHIP IS GREAT.
All Caps, so you know it’s real.
The positive momentum off the field seems to be carrying over to the active roster as well. Realus George, one of the new guys on campus, is already inviting everyone with a Mizzou offer to hit him up and see what the experience is about.
I extremely encourage everyone that got an offer from Mizzou to come check Columbia out with ya fam ! and hml when you in town !— Realus (@RealusGeorgeJr) July 4, 2021
We’re only a few weeks away from preseason camp, so soak up all this positivity now. When the lumps of football season inevitably come, it’ll be great to remember that the program feels like it’s on a trajectory unseen since the heights of Gary Pinkel’s tenure.
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which Sam suggests we enjoy the Fourth and let Eli Drinkwitz provide the fireworks.
- It’s been a long and somewhat strange career for former Mizzou Baseball standout Kyle Gibson. However, he’s been blooming in his last few years, and that growth culminated in his first ever All Star selection on Sunday.
The American League ERA leader will report for duty in Denver. pic.twitter.com/pGA8UD9uYv— Texas Rangers (@Rangers) July 4, 2021
- Cuonzo Martin, showing out and speaking out for East St. Louis is exactly the kind of energy we all need every day.
My loyalty to & gratitude for this city will last beyond the grave. It made me who I am! https://t.co/Fz6DZIL2sp— Cuonzo Martin (@CuonzoMartin) July 4, 2021
- How much money do you think it would cost to design a firework to specifically do this...
Is it physically possible? Let’s hear from our resident scientists in the comments section.
- Ahmad Robinson, the 3-star cornerback out of East St. Louis, committed to Arkansas State on Sunday.
It seemed as if this was a Mizzou lock at some point, but there’s still plenty of time to make things work on both ends before signing day.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)