Media on Mizzou
SEC Media Days starts on Monday, July 19th — and that obviously means that College Football is just right around the corner. To get you ready for the upcoming season, Phil Steele joined Brendan Wiese on The Big 550 KTRS’ The Big Sports Show with his thoughts and analysis on Mizzou and the rest of the SEC.
From his 2021 College Football preview magazine, Steele ranked Mizzou 71st out of 130 FBS teams overall and predicted the Tigers to finish fourth place in the SEC East division (behind Georgia, Florida, and Kentucky). While that may sound underwhelming, he did have some positives to say about Missouri in the radio interview.
Here are some quotes from Steele:
“I thought he did a great job last year. In fact, Coach Drinkwitz is now two for two in outperforming my expectations in both of his years as a head coach. I think you look at all the first-year head coaches last year, and I believe he came out with the best record in the SEC at 5-5. It was a season where they were an underdog in the majority of their games, so they had to pull some upsets just to get to 5-5 last year, and that was basically with a first-year starting quarterback in a true freshman Connor Bazelak.”
“Overall, this year’s team is stronger than last year. With 14 returning starters and a benefit of a spring practice, they can only be better.”
This was a good listen. For more, you can listen to the full interview here.
But wait, there’s more! In The Athletic’s College Football weekly recruiting roundup, Mizzou was a hot topic of discussion. In fact, Drinkwitz and the Tigers led off the column.
Here’s Ari Wasserman on Missouri’s two latest editions in the 2022 recruiting class, Tavorus Jones and Deshawn Woods:
“When four-star quarterback Sam Horn of Suwanne (Ga.) Collins Hill picked Missouri in February, it was the type of commitment that makes you believe in the head coach.”
“Eliah Drinkwitz landed two more commitments like that in the past week — four-star offensive lineman Deshawn Woods of Omaha (Neb.) Central and of four-star running back Tavorus Jones of El Paso (Texas) Burges.”
“Drinkwitz has done everything necessary to bring Mizzou back. He has made the Tigers more of a force in St. Louis but has also landed some high-end prospects on the national level. Getting Horn is the most important because he’s a quarterback, but Mizzou just stole a gritty offensive lineman out of Nebraska and a talented running back out of Texas. Both are top-200 prospects, too.”
“Missouri’s 2022 class now has 11 commitments and ranks No. 16 nationally. Of those 11 commitments, five are ranked in the top 250 nationally.”
“Drinkwitz is up to something. If this continues, watch out for Missouri in the SEC.”
You absolutely love to see it.
M-I-Z! Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- From Brandon Kiley’s Recruiting Reset: Eli Drinkwitz is going to have fun scheming up ways to utilize Tavorus Jones
- Team Missouri Defensive Back: William Moore, from Brandon Kiley
- From Benjamin Hochman: Mizzou legend Norm Stewart, ‘pulling’ for Booker in NBA Finals, recalls greatness of Devin’s dad, Melvin
- From Briar Napier: Dad of NBA Finals star Devin Booker was a Mizzou great, almost got his son to Columbia
- Former MU cornerback Chris Mills heading to Texas State, writes Wilson Moore
- A big night for Sophie Cunningham, who had a career high four three-pointers, 13 points, and a +14 on the floor in the Mercury’s 99-90 OT win over the Las Vegas Aces!
A career high 4 threes for @sophaller! She extends the lead 80-76 with 2 minutes to go.— Phoenix Mercury (@PhoenixMercury) July 8, 2021
- Here’s the Mizzou Women’s Basketball team working in the weight room!
| @micahlinthacum out here *accidentally* making her teammates better | pic.twitter.com/DGdlKQQaej— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) July 7, 2021
- C-Dot has a list of schools with more 4-star recruits in the 2022 class than Missouri. Not many!
Schools with more 4 star recruits than Missouri for the Class of 2022— Carrington Harrison (@cdotharrison) July 7, 2021
Drink working! pic.twitter.com/hwd5ROYCrs
- Here’s former Mizzou defensive back Chris Mills on his commitment to Texas State
ThePatientChase #EatEmUpCats #TEAM pic.twitter.com/pXCMSCh2Wy— Chris Mills II (@ChrisMills_17) July 7, 2021
- This is crazy.....check out what happened to Drew Lock...
Safe travels the rest of your way across Kansas @DrewLock23— Trooper Ben (@TrooperBenKHP) July 7, 2021
Crazy having a (lug-nut) fly across the median striking your windshield and nearly go through it!
Glad your #seatbelt was fastened.
Have a safe season now and into the future. #ServiceCourtesyProtection pic.twitter.com/DXDLon2l0Y
- Congrats to Mizzou recruiting specialist Kevin Pendelton on the newest addition to his family!
At 7:07 am on 7/7/21 @chelspendleton and I welcomed Baby KJ to our family! Can’t wait to try to give this lil dude the world… my heart is full, praise God pic.twitter.com/tM9H7Owm34— Kevin Pendleton (@KevinP_71) July 7, 2021
- Andrew Kauffman joined Matt Michaels on the KTGR Big Show to discuss some Mizzou Football recruiting. Give it a listen!
- Josh Fann of Show Me Football dives in on Mizzou Football recruiting and asks just how well Drinkwitz is doing?
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)