Injury time is heeeeeeere; anxiety and feeeeeeeeeear
We’re only weeks away from actual, real, gameday football, folks! So that means it’s time for one of everyone’s favorite parts of the season: INJURY REPORTS!
Yesterday’s update was particularly painstaking, as Eli Drinkwitz reported the loss of both Ja’Mori Maclin and Mookie Coopier (yeah, that one was tough to read) for at least the next few weeks.
“Both those guys have a really good grasp of the offense. So we anticipate, being positive, we’re hoping that game week they’ll be ready to roll. Don’t know that, but that’s kind of our mindset.”
Maclin’s injury is listed as a broken forearm and would keep him out 3 to 4 weeks, while Cooper’s injury is in his lower leg and is listed as “indefinite,” meaning he could be back in 10-14 days... or much longer. Heck yeah, I love to interpret vague coach speak!
With the potential loss of Maclin and Cooper, Mizzou is going to need someone to step up at receiver (though Drinkwitz has already said Barrett Bannister and JJ Hester will get the previously allotted snaps), even if it’s not from the slot.
Could Tauskie Dove be the one to answer the call?
Tauskie Dove left Ennis Rakestraw Jr. on the floor in a 1-on-1 drill today. Ran it in for good measure. Certainly pleased somebody, judging by the audio. pic.twitter.com/b2UwL4TjvY— Calum (@C_McAndrew95) August 16, 2021
One thing that should help them through no matter who is on the field is the presence of team captains, which were just voted on yesterday. Case Cook was chosen for the second straight year, along with returning starters Connor Bazelak and Martez Manuel.
“It means a lot, especially this being the second time,” Cook said after Monday’s practice. “Like I’ve said before, and these guys probably know I wouldn’t be anything without these guys, so for them to select me to be their leader and our captain it’s like the greatest honor in my mind that you can receive as a member of a team, especially a football team.”
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which the masthead discusses Blaze Alldredge, freshman linebackers and filling Nick Bolton’s shoes
- In which Parker discusses the state of the football team after Practice No. 10
- At the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Ben Frederickson wrote about Michael Maetti, his pick for the presumptive MVP of Mizzou’s season. Dave Matter also wrote about Trajan Jeffcoat, who could be in for a big encore season.
- Speaking of Dave Matter, the Post-Dispatch beat writer is joining 550 KTRS for Mizzou radio during the week. Take note if you’re a St. Louisan.
- Wilson Moore at the Missourian wrote about Will Norris, the latest in the line of Rock Bridge graduates who end up at Mizzou (in football and otherwise!)
- Apparently yesterday was birthday day for Mizzou Athletics, which celebrated the special days of both softball coach Larissa Anderson and Sophie Cunningham.
- Happy (belated) 8-1-6 day to those who celebrate(d)!
Happy 8⃣-1⃣-6⃣ Day!— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) August 16, 2021
@_nickbolton2 #MIZ pic.twitter.com/i5UBCxQuEA
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)