Another injury, official lines and... walk ball?
We’re officially less than two weeks out from game day, Tiger fans. Take a deep breath. It’s all coming together. We’re in the home stretch. So let’s check in on the boys and see how they’re doing...
We already know Mizzou is missing Ja’Mori Maclin and Mookie Cooper, possibly through Week One. However, we also got some confirmation of the negative variety on Sunday when blue-chip freshman defensive end Kyran Montgomery posted the following on his Instagram story.
Mizzou freshman DL Kyran Montgomery left last night’s practice with an injury and posted this on Instagram today. Torn ACL. pic.twitter.com/2o5f50UJLS— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) August 22, 2021
It’s a blow for Mizzou’s end depth, as Montgomery and Travion Ford were likely going to get some snaps in the early going. Montgomery, Mizzou’s highest ranked recruit in the 2021 class, will get that medical redshirt year and should be back in time for 2022. Best of luck on the road to recovery, Ky! We’re all rooting for you!
Speaking of Week One, Las Vegas is officially setting odds on all games now, including games between current SEC programs playing Group of 5 programs with former SEC head coaches.
Mizzou 13.5-point favorite over Central Michigan, up from 11 earlier this summer. https://t.co/zCrYFOIyBD— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) August 22, 2021
That... seems like a lot, especially considering that Central Michigan is pretty good (???) under Jim McElwain. At the very least, Central Michigan won’t be the pushover we’re used to seeing in early September, so this seems like an optimistic line. Should Mizzou come out victorious on Sept. 4? No doubt. But should they be favored by almost two touchdowns? Well, maybe let’s slow our roll there.
Still, if the team is showing any tension in relation to the coming season and the already unfortunate number of impactful injuries, they don’t seem to be showing it. Instead, they’re caught up in an intense game of [checks notes] walk ball? Am I saying that right, “walk ball”?
This seems exceedingly goofy and directly in Drink’s wheelhouse. It actually reminds me of a few weeks ago when I accidentally stumbled upon speed walking during the Tokyo Olympics and was blown away that it was a competitive sport. ANYWAY, Coach Drink needs some work in walk ball. That’s my takeaway here.
For an extremely in-depth football takeaway from the weekend, be sure to read Dave Matter’s recap of Saturday practice, which includes all of the following:
- Injury reports (without details, but still)
- An early look at the first team defense and offensive units, including some spicy names popping up the second team defense (I see you, Arden Walker!)
- Some commentary on strong play from Blaze Alldredge, Dominic Lovett, Ennis Rakestraw, and a few others
Yesterday at Rock M
- You want some Mizzou in the NFL jersey swaps? You’re going to get some Mizzou in the NFL jersey swaps.
- Mizzou Soccer is off to a rocky start during the 2021 campaign after dropping their Sunday tilt with Nebraska 5-0. They’re now 0-2 to start the season.
- Mizzou students: You want some free cookies? Mizzou Hoops has you covered.
- WE’VE GOT NEW TIGERS IN THE HOUSE! WELCOME, NEW TIGERS (please support your sports teams!)
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)