Back to school, back to school, prove to Truman I’m not a fool...
Yesterday was the first day of school at Mizzou in the 2021-2022 school year, and there was plenty of first-day-of-school content flowing on the ole Twitter sphere. But first... maybe we get to some sports content?
Dave Matter has covered some of this in his recent weekend articles, but he clarified in Monday’s article that Mizzou’s starting offensive and defensive units are starting to take shape. I found this bit to be particularly interesting (and more than a little maddening given the weekend’s injury news.)
Up front, three veteran defensive ends have emerged who will command most of the snaps: Trajan Jeffcoat, Isaiah McGuire and Chris Turner. Inside is no different, where three veteran tackles will consume most of the playing time: Akial Byers, Darius Robinson and Kobie Whiteside. A couple of freshmen have been pushing for roles in tackle Mekhi Wingo and end Kyran Montgomery, but Montgomery suffered a season-ending torn ACL knee injury Saturday, he announced on Instagram. Wingo, a rookie from De Smet High, could push for the fourth tackle job along with junior college transfers Realus George Jr. and Daniel Robledo.
Mekhi Wingo! Way to go, my guy! It would be quite refreshing to see Mekhi Wingo earn some legitimate reps in his true freshman season. However, it’s equally as disappointing to lose Montgomery after reading that he’d apparently endeared himself to the staff early. Missouri will need some more ends to step up and cover... maybe Travion Ford?
Anyway, we’ll know more in the coming week or so. For now, let’s get to that cute school content that parents just love.
The Mizzou women’s team also greeted fellow students out on campus, handing out snacks, water and other goodies in an attempt to create some buzz for the coming season.
In addition, the men’s program decided to highlight Anton Brookshire on his first day of college. It’s the kind of cute, “first day of school,” content that’s liable to make every parent tear up.
But in case watching kids grow up isn’t your bag, maybe some good university-related news will do the trick? Dave Matter reports that Mizzou is bragging on an increase in enrollment!
Per Mizzou, opening-day enrollment is up about 1% from last year for both undergraduates (23,533) and total students (31,121).— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) August 23, 2021
Hey, 1% is 1%. We’ll take it.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Mizzou Athletics tweeted out a link of wrestler Keegan O’Toole talking about his title trip to the the junior world championships.
- Mizzou’s QB of the future? Sam Horn certainly looks like he could be the latest in a long line of standout Tiger signal-callers...
Sam Horn to Travis Hunter to give Collins Hill the first TD of the game! Eagles lead Brookwood 7-3 in the 2nd quarter @_sam_Horn @TravisHunterJr #corkykell #corkykellclassic pic.twitter.com/MvxvjafcJz— Gwinnett Football (@GwinnettFB_) August 22, 2021
- Following an excellent talk given to the Mizzou Football team by former coach Gary Pinkel, the program’s video team put together a great tribute to GP, including some of his most memorable highlights in Columbia.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)